Have you ever climbed Goat Fell on Arran?

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.

Have you ever climbed Goat Fell on the isle of Arran?

0. I've never climbed Goat Fell.
41%
1. I've climbed Goat Fell once.
20%
2. I've climbed Goat Fell twice.
9%
3. I've climbed Goat Fell three times.
5%
4. I've climbed Goat Fell three times plus.
16%
5. I'd be interested in a climb in 2012.
9%

Total votes: 44

michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Have you ever climbed Goat Fell on Arran?

Post by michaelm »

Scrambled up Goat fell with friends on a couple of occasions when I worked in Brodick in the mid to late 70's.

The last time though was in early June 2010.
That was definitely one to remember, as it was only meant to be a day trip to the Island, with Goat fell not even on the menu.
To cut a long story short, I miscalculated how long it would take to get up there and back down again.
You have to bear in mind that as well as taking time-outs to rest, re-fuel, take on water etc. You'll also get the urge sometimes to just stop for a few minutes and enjoy those magnificent views, as well as having a wee blether with folk you meet along the way.
I missed the last ferry back to Ardrossan by 10 minutes or so, eventually spending the night in a great wee guesthouse in Brodick. So although I ended up out of pocket, it was still an enjoyable trip. Maybe I'll do it again someday - but be a bit more realistic in terms of the time frame.
Unless you're in any particular hurry, I think Hughies earlier estimate of 6 hours or so is probably not far off the mark. Some folk might take a bit longer, some a little less.
As PT also mentioned, the time taken depends on your 'starting point' as well.

As an aside, there's an annually held 'Goat Fell Race' which has been taking place for as long as I can remember. It starts and ends at the Ormidale Sports Fields in Brodick. It's roughly 15K or so with an ascent of around 870 metres and attracts quite a few entrants each year.
Amazingly, the course records are: Men, Ihr - 13mins - 40seconds, set in 1994 by a chap named Andy Peace and, Women, Ihr - 26mins - 21seconds, set in 2001 by a lady named Angela Mudge.
Fell runners really are a special breed!
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

I too can remember missing the last ferry a couple of times. Stayed in the Douglas hotel and it was wonderful. The first time I was on my own and the owner who was of Indian extraction gave me a very intense look and then said ok and did I want on -suite? and I said yes. I noticed he turned away two other hikers. Well I had the whole second floor to myself and could have used numerous loos. I went out on to the veranda and there was a broken pint glass with rain water in it. The dinner was wonderful after which I went on a tour of the hotel and when I went into the ballroom I could feel a mass of energy, all the hustle and bustle that had happened there was still evident. After a nightcap in the bar the owner stated that after breakfast just put your room key in the box and be sure to shut the door after you. The second time I stayed there I was not on my own and the owner remembered me and followed the same procedure and this was also a pleasant stay. I probably couldn't afford to stay there now. Scotland have my bones.
margb
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by margb »

Climbed it twice. The first time was pretty easy. Second time we got into some shale and my feet wouldn't move. Got to the top though. Pretty chuffed. Couldn't do it now though.
Bob Bryden
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Bob Bryden »

I haven't but Dad & my Uncle Andy did once & a very wet occasion it was too, so glad I didn't go.

Dad, Uncle Andy & myself did spend a holiday in Arran about 1957 or 58 & travelled around the island in Uncle Andy's Mk.1 Ford Consul & slept under canvas. We didn't consider climbing Goat Fell on that trip. I was back on Arran once during my Scottish visit in 1974 but only took a bus trip right round the island. I'm past climbing hills or mountains - doesn't suit my Urostomy & Colostomy. I did climb Ben Nevis in 1959 & Ben Lomond in 1961.

Bob
brvhrtjimmy
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by brvhrtjimmy »

yes I did it yesterday mon 8th of may 2017, I tried it last year I wanted to try it b4 I turned 70 I got to within 50 odd feet but had to turn back, i could hardly see my feet and didn't want to put my foot down between two rocks, but yesterday my son and I went the corrie route, its very much steeper but we found it to be a better path than the brodick one, we made it to the top so I was very happy to hav made it at 70, have some fotos but as I'm very seldom on here I have no idea as how to post them, maybe Hughie can give me a pointer.

James Barr (Brvhrtjimmy)
Last edited by brvhrtjimmy on Tue May 09, 2017 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Brilliant, Jimmy. Wife and I failed in 2007 when the clouds fell on us but what a great memory - Betty with heather up to her shoulders sporting a big smile. In an earlier post in this topic there is a photo of us as at 21 yrs of age at the top of Goatfell.

See this topic for using Imgur for hosting images:
http://www.threetowners.net/forum/viewt ... 96#p144396 I recommend it. Any problems I'm always available at hugh.mccallum@gmail.com.
Robert Cook
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Robert Cook »

I climbed it when I was 11 or 12 with my Dad, my brothers and a cousin. we were on holidays in Corrie so we took the Corrie route. On the way down my cousin started running and couldn't stop. He had to throw himself
down on some rocks to stop and suffered bad scrapes and bruises.
georgeflemingard
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by georgeflemingard »

At one time in the 50s there was a foot race form Brodick to the cairn at the top of Goatfell. I haven't heard anything about this race for years now so suppose it no longer happens.
maybe it should be started up again, would be a good tourist attraction.
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

georgeflemingard wrote:At one time in the 50s there was a foot race form Brodick to the cairn at the top of Goatfell. I haven't heard anything about this race for years now so suppose it no longer happens.
As far as I'm aware, the Goat Fell race is still an annual event on the calendar for many fell runners, georgeflemingard.

I wrote this wee paragraph about it at the end of my post above.
michaelm wrote:As an aside, there's an annually held 'Goat Fell Race' which has been taking place for as long as I can remember. It starts and ends at the Ormidale Sports Fields in Brodick. It's roughly 15K or so with an ascent of around 870 metres and attracts quite a few entrants each year.
Amazingly, the course records are: Men, Ihr - 13mins - 40seconds, set in 1994 by a chap named Andy Peace and, Women, Ihr - 26mins - 21seconds, set in 2001 by a lady named Angela Mudge.
Fell runners really are a special breed!
georgeflemingard
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by georgeflemingard »

Thanks Mitch, good to know it's still going, but I don't think I'll be entering
All the best George F
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

There's no chance I'll be entering it myself either, George F.

And by the way, if that was just an educated guess at my nickname from my younger days, you were spot on.
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

How did Goat Fell get its name? Did a goat fall off the top of the mountain?