Jock Shearer

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Dogwar5428
New Poster
New Poster

Jock Shearer

Post by Dogwar5428 »

Hi there I was born and raised in Ardrossan and left in 1974 when I joined the British Army. Pretty much everyone knew who Constabke Jock Shearer in Ardrossan was.

Fast forward to Easter Friday 2017 at the Calgary Alberta Gunshow where I bumped into a former Royal Navy guy who I knew in the mid to late 1990 as the Pipe Major of the Calgary Highlanders (TA) Pipe Band.

We got to chatting and I mentioned my upcoming trip to the old country and he asked where I was from, on telling him I was from Ardrossan he said he used to go there all the time when he was on leave from the Royal Navy to visit his uncle in the local police force, a man who was feared in Ardrossan.

Jock Shearer said I?, how did you know he said?, used to bump into him on the street, as well as he lived just around the corner from my gran on St Ninians drive.

Small world we live in these days.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Jock Shearer

Post by Hughie »

Hi Dogwar5428, Nice to get your input. I too remember Jock Shearer - as they say he was a well kent policeman in Ardrossan. Folks might be interested in the following from the Francis Gay's page of the Sunday Post, September 19, 1993. See here.
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

I don't remember Jock Shearer, but I do remember Johnny Beetroot, know for his bright red skin complection.
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

I believe however Johnny Beetroot was a traffic Warden rather than a policeman.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Glenshena,

We'll have to be careful not to stray off the Jock Shearer topic but you may have been right the first time, and the police constable might have been Constable John Murphy. He had orange hair and the brightest red skin you could possibly imagine. Summer and winter you would have thought he was badly sunburned. I think he may even have stayed in 'digs' in Melbourne Terrace at one time. If it rings any bells with you and you want to discuss it, drop me a private message.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
georgeflemingard
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by georgeflemingard »

I remember Jock {sergeant} Shearer as a very tough Cop but also very fair with a great sense of humor.
As a young lad I once hit him with a snowball, I'm not sure about his reaction as our wee gang all run away. But I do remember him shouting something. He knew who I was, but nothing every came of it.
George F
SHEARER
New Poster
New Poster

Post by SHEARER »

Thank you to every one who still talks about my Grandad John (Jock) Shearer on this forum. I've really enjoyed reading all the lovely stories you have taken time to write. He was my hero and always will be and the best grandad a wee girl could have. He sadly died when I was 17 years old, and I'm now 41, but it is so nice to hear he is still thought and talked about. The picture of the police dance back in 1972 has my gran, my gran's brother, my mum and my aunty in it. My gran is still alive and is going to be 90 this year! Keep posting these lovely stories and photos to keep the memories alive! Thank you again so much X
tapnagol
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tapnagol »

I first met Big Jock when I arrived at Ardrossan Police office in Jan 1963. I was introduced to PC Shearer, (Snanae). As he was known in Constabulary circles. When I had accrued several weeks service I enquired of him the origin of his nom de plume. He replied ' Snanae yer F....... business. And laughed loudly. Obviously delighted by my enquiry. Snanae, was a natural Cop with an uncanny knack of sussing a baddie as witnessed by myself on several occasions . Contrary to previous posts John was not promoted, for whatever reason , . Ability appeared not to be a major criteria around this time. Big Jock was a good spud as evidenced to myself anecdotally by several, including the ' criminal fraternity '. In his own way, he was a gentleman.
SHEARER
New Poster
New Poster

Post by SHEARER »

Thank you for your lovely story about my grandad Tapnagol. Would it be possible to PM your name so that I can let my gran (John's wife) and my aunty (John's daughter) know who you are? Do you have any other stories about my grandad?
tapnagol
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tapnagol »

I have sent a PM. As requested .
SHEARER
New Poster
New Poster

Post by SHEARER »

Hi Tapnagol,

Sorry but I didn't get your PM.
tapnagol
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tapnagol »

Having difficulty with PM. Have tried twice, unsuccessfuly. Have contacted admin. Will try again.