Chicken and Vegetable Soup

Post your recipes here. Please use *newtopic* for each recipe.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Chicken and Vegetable Soup

Post by Hughie »

Made this at our men's kitchen some time ago and have made it at home a few times - love it. Though I think 1 Kg of chicken legs is a bit much - I found 1/2 a Kg was plenty.

Chicken and Vegetable Soup (For 6)

Oil - 2 cloves garlic - 2 sticks celery, diced - 1 swede or turnip, diced - 8 cups chicken stock
1 leek thinly sliced - 1 large carrot diced - 2 small zucchini diced - 1 1/4 cups of dry soup mix
1 kg chicken legs.

Method
Heat oil and add leek and garlic, cook, stirring for 2 minutes or until soft but not coloured, add carrot, celery, zucchini and swede. Cook for 2 minutes, stir in soup mix, stock, chicken and 1 cup of cold water.

Increase heat to high and Bring to the boil
Reduce heat to low and simmer partially covered stirring occasionally for 1 hour or until soup mix and vegetables are tender. Remove chicken legs from soup and allow to cool slightly. Remove meat from bones and roughly chop the meat and add to the soup. Season with salt and pepper.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Chicken and Vegetable Soup

Post by Hughie »

She who must be obeyed requested I make this lovely soup again this weekend. A loaf of crusty bread (pasta dura)and my soup and she has the week-end off - Stinston women are so scheming. :roll:
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

Here now, Hughie! It's not scheming it's flattery! When you say 'dry soup mix' what do you mean? Is there a specific product or any dry soup mix? I've usually only made soup from scratch with water or stock plus the veggies, meat etc.
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Have a wee look here Morag

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_a ... 391736.ece" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

it explains what a dry soup mix is.

Meg
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

Thanks, Meg. I don't think I've seen it packaged here but I usually have lentils, split peas etc. on hand well, actually, in cupboard. I was thinking it was a powder base mix like the onion soup for the famous California dip - and no, Alan, that's not me! :evil: :lol:
C.S.Lewis
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

This is what I use, Morag. They have an Italian mix too which I love as it has a fair variety of beans which I love.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

morag wrote:like the onion soup for the famous California dip
OK Morag - need to ask, what is the recipe for the famous California dip?

We tasted a lovely dip when we were in Japan - made from sour cream, mayo and wasabi - it was to die for! Our friend Michiko is a fantastic cook - gets up every morning to grate the bonito (dried tuna) to make the dashi (stock) to make the miso soup for her husband's breakfast - and it is truly the best miso I have tasted anywhere. She thought I was mad when I suggested she make enough for a week and freeze it!!!!

Meg
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

Meg, it's Lipton onion soup mix with sour cream added, it's good, especially with Fritos corn chips! but also with carrot / celery etc sticks!(I suppose any dry onion soup mix would do)
My Sri Lankan friend used to make rice for the week! Kind of like Scottish folk can't get by a meal without potatoes, that's them with rice!
C.S.Lewis
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

morag wrote:My Sri Lankan friend used to make rice for the week!
Four weeks on Tuesday I will be hopefully tucking into my Sri Lankan curry and rice (for breakfast, lunch and dinner) at The Bentota Waterside Hotel - cant wait. Got Rick Stein's Eastern Odyssey which includes about 7 or 8 traditional Sri Lankan dishes which we showed to our Sri Lankan friend when he was staying with us, so he's organising for us to go and visit his home so I can see his wife making some of these recipes - will pass on any I get - if we can post recipes that aren't Scottish:-)

Meg
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

Oh, please do Meg, I love a good curry! Yum! I made one the other day with shrimp and langoustines, edamame ..pig out! 8)
C.S.Lewis
hammycrescent
Settling In
Settling In

Post by hammycrescent »

Hughie, ive just had your Chicken and Vegtable Soup for Sunday and Monday Dinner,sublime ,fantastic even better on Monday.
Cheers. :D
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

hammycrescent wrote:Hughie, ive just had your Chicken and Vegtable Soup for Sunday and Monday Dinner,sublime ,fantastic even better on Monday. Cheers. :D
Stews, casseroles and soups are always better the second day aren't they - my dad used to call the Monday soup 'resurrection broth' - want to go and put on a pot of soup now :-)

Meg