Sweet Potato and Butter Bean Soup

Post your recipes here. Please use *newtopic* for each recipe.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Sweet Potato and Butter Bean Soup

Post by 5siamese7 »

Sweet potatoes as we know are a yam and I think they must be becoming more popular as a lot of the supermarkets stock them, and do you know I had them to-night instead of potatoes and I prefer tatties.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

Not a big fan of yams or sweet potatoes..there is a difference, or broad beans ..so 8)
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

5siamese7 wrote:Sweet potatoes as we know are a yam and I think they must be becoming more popular as a lot of the supermarkets stock them, and do you know I had them to-night instead of potatoes and I prefer tatties.

Checked this out and found the following

Although yams and sweet potatoes are both angiosperms (flowering plants), they are not related botanically. Yams are a monocot (a plant having one embryonic seed leaf) and from the Dioscoreaceae or Yam family. Sweet Potatoes, often called ‘yams’, are a dicot (a plant having two embryonic seed leaves) and are from the Convolvulacea or morning glory family.

Every day is a school day...
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

That's interesting i'm no expert just heard folk on the tele calling them yams. However as you say every day is a school day.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

Both are quite popular here, especially at holiday times. I've never developed a taste for them though my family do,prefer plain tatties!
C.S.Lewis
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Did the shopping for our men's kitchen today and bought ten sweet potatoes (6 Kilos) @ $2 a Kilo on special at Safeways - 90cents cheaper than Aldis. We're making the soup and an Indian dish. What other use would there be for buying Vindaloo Curry Paste ... hot :oops: hot :oops: hot :oops: Wife wont have any!
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

Hughie wrote:Did the shopping for our men's kitchen today and bought ten sweet potatoes (6 Kilos) @ $2 a Kilo on special at Safeways - 90cents cheaper than Aldis. We're making the soup and an Indian dish. What other use would there be for buying Vindaloo Curry Paste ... hot :oops: hot :oops: hot :oops: Wife wont have any!
We're getting an Aldi's here, this week I think. Supposedly very good prices. Son made chicken curry with my box of hot curry paste, while it was tasty it wasn't hot...maybe I've Tabasco'd my taste buds away.. :wink:
C.S.Lewis