Remember this?

Upload your three towns photographs here - people or places.
Forum rules
Post photographs here, which depict places or people in or from the three towns. You are welcome to upload direct from your computer to this album.
Sgeir
New Poster
New Poster

Remember this?

Post by Sgeir »

Canal Street-posted 29May11.jpg
wellparkno9
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Re: Remember this?

Post by wellparkno9 »

Yes I remember it.But I dont ever mind the cafe being called The Bridge Cafe as it says on the sign.I knew it as Carino's.(later the hair dressers)They had a one armed bandit as you went in the door and you had to change pennies for tokens.Quite a few Italian shops had them. Sam.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Just in case people aren't aware of the spot. That lady has come down the hill at Kyleshill from the direction of the Saltcoats railway station, she's about to continue along Canal Street in the direction of Stevenston. :wink:
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

There was a short cut from the area shown in that photo to Esplanade Cottages. In addition I believe there was also a third staircase off the main footbridge bridge as seen in that photo and, it ran parallel with the railway so folks coming from the prom could take advantage of the passage to the cottages. Anyone recall if I'm right on that? it was along time ago. :roll:
maggie T
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by maggie T »

I Am.Sure there was a path.or a wee dirt track road .? I had pals that lived down there,if i bump into any of them ,i will ask ,but am sure your right,.Maggie T.
scottyd
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by scottyd »

My Auntie lived in the tenement upstairs from Carino's the hairdressers. I will never forget the smell from the hairdressers when we went to visit her. Her kichen looked right out to sea and her lounge windo looked straight up Canal Street towards Stevenston.
BobP
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by BobP »

God Almighty,

This is really stretching the memory, can`t remember what I did yesterday afternoon but that shot took me back fifty years- So here goes

To the right hand side at the bottom of the bridge, the first shop was Veronica`s

Opposite was the old Argyle Bar which some of the kids from the Bungalows, the braver ones would go in
after school at St Mary`Primary, especially the cellars where you had to light paper torches and when I was eight,
Catherine M showed me her "f***y, never forget that ,been searching for the same delight ever since :-)

Now here is the interesting question,who at the time of the derelict Argyle Bar,lived in the big building behind, I know, but speculation would be interesting

By the way, the first shop on the other side of the road was Dreevor`s
Scott McCallum
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Scott McCallum »

Was it the manse for the big church in Dockhead Street, the minister's name was Weir. I also remember that neighbours of my aunt from Catacol Avenue, Mr and Mrs Smith, moved into a building there (were there two buildings?) and had loads of work to do. Can't remember their first names but they had a son about my age called Franny Smith who was school captain at St Michael's just after the school moved to Kilwinning.

Scott McCallum - Glasgow