Saltcoats Royal Bank of Scotland staff 1975

Upload your three towns photographs here - people or places.
Forum rules
Post photographs here, which depict places or people in or from the three towns. You are welcome to upload direct from your computer to this album.
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Saltcoats Royal Bank of Scotland staff 1975

Post by down south »

With the RBS topical in the Saltcoats Stroll at the moment, I thought now would be a good time to post this picture of the staff in 1975; particularly as Campbell ( Canfactory ) is keen to see it. But since it doesn't strictly belong to the location where we are at present, and others may be interested in it later, I'm putting it here as the best place for future reference in general.

It dates from the time in March 1975 when the two previous Saltcoats branches , at Nineyard St and Dockhead St, were amalgamated under one roof in the former Post Office building in Chapelwell St, which I believe is still the bank today; and shows the combined staffs on the occasion of the opening.
RBS staff 1975.jpg
The only person I know for sure in the picture is MR J S Paterson, the manager at Dockhead St; a familiar figure to me, since his daughter was a classmate of mine and the family lived not far away in Caledonia Road; he's second from the left in the front row. He was made joint manager of the new branch with Mr A W McNicoll, who had been manager at Nineyard St since 1971; and the joint chief accountants were Mr William Mackay and Mr Archibald Garven.

I'm sure Campbell will recognise Mr Mackay , whom he's mentioned, and maybe a few others. But Una Watt doesn't seem to be there, having presumably moved on to other things by then. Maybe they should have invited her back to cut a ribbon for the grand opening !

Susan
canfactory
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Saltcoats Royal Bank of Scotland staff 1975

Post by canfactory »

Susan

I was only four years gone from Saltcoats Dockhead Street office when this picture was taken and I’m amazed at the folks in the picture I don’t recognise. I’ll try my best though:

Back row, from the left

Unknown, possibly Paul Stevenson (now the local undertaker), unknown, Bill McKay, Janice McPhail, Charlie Welsh, unknown, Kathleen Knox, Helen Hill, unknown, unknown, unknown, unknown, Margaret Kelso (nee Pritchard), unknown, Cathy Carrino (previously Norwood), Andy Campbell, unknown, Archie Garven, unknown.

Front row, left to right

A W McNicoll, John S Paterson, with possibly their wives. The other two gentlemen may have come down from Head Office for the opening.
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

Have to say, Campbell, that I knew Janice McPhail at school and I'm pretty certain from looking at my original cutting that that's not her; you must I should think be talking about the same one, because she did join the RBS , in the Ardrossan branch. I've got a picture of the staff there too ( complete with names ) from around the same time and she is in it; though she's half-hidden so you can't see her properly ! I'll add that one too sometime, you may know others from there.

i did wonder if there might have been some additional people in the picture, because the article speaks of a staff of eighteen plus the four managers/deputies. The possibility of the managers' wives only occurred to me after, but though I did also meet Mrs Paterson she didn't stick in my mind like her husband, so I can't help there.

Susan
canfactory
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by canfactory »

Thanks Susan, I did know Janice but only for the short time I worked with her. Apologies if I've got it wrong. I knew her mother better!

I'd enjoy seeing the staff at RBS Ardrossan. I worked their in the mid-70's. The manager at that time was Harry Bull, prior to him it was a Mr Wightman (Weightman?) who actually interviewed me at that office when I applied to join the bank. There were a number of assistant managers that I can remember e.g. Gordon Reid, David Galt and Margaret ? (sorry forgotten her surname although I remember she lived in Parkhouse Road and was one of the very few female managerial staff the bank employed at that time).

Campbell
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

Here's the picture, Campbell. It dates from April 1974, and the occasion was in fact the retirement of Mr Fergus Wightman as manager; he had been with the bank for 44 years. Several of the other people you mentioned are also there.
Ardrossan RBS 1974.jpg
It's a bit better view of Janice McPhail than I remembered in fact. Lorna McNicoll was another school contemporary. though only quite recently arrived. From what you suggested before about working at the bank running in families, It wouldn't surprise me if she was related to the Mr McNicoll of Saltcoats RBS, or the Mr David Galt here to the Mr Galt you mentioned at Dockhead St for that matter.

Susan
canfactory
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by canfactory »

Thanks Susan. That brought all the memories back.

In a way Ardrossan office had a number of firsts.

Margaret Alexander, as I've already mentioned, was the first female assistant manager in the west of Scotland. She was a great boss too. I am only puzzled why she is in that picture. David Galt was the assistant manager and he was followed by a Gordon Reid then Margaret was promoted and moved from the Saltcoats office. She wasn't working at Ardrossan at that time but, of course, may have known Mr Wightman. She could of course have been representing Saltcoats branch.

David Galt was the youngest ever assistant manager appointed by RBS. I am sure he moved to Largs office from Ardrossan a year or so after that picture was taken. He was no relation to John F Galt at Saltcoats. That gentleman travelled every day by bus from Kilbirnie and had done so for about 22 years. Most certainly of the old school too.

I remember Lorna but I don't know if she was related to Mr McNicoll of Saltcoats office.

Campbell
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

After finding this earlier post by Mike McCann, I was wondering if Mr McNicoll the manager above might have been the same as the Alistair McNicoll mentioned here ? ; son of Angus McNicoll the Hamilton Street grocer, and described as a banker. The article did say he was a native of Saltcoats and had begun his career at the National Bank in Dockhead St, back in 1939 ; though obviously as was common he must have been away at other branches in the interim.

http://www.threetowners.net/forum/viewt ... 237#p87237

Susan
Last edited by down south on Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retsum
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Retsum »

My memories of RBS go back to the sixties when the fathers of two of my best friends - John Ray and Dick McConnachie - were managers of the Saltcoats and Ardrossan branches respectively. I also remember Margaret Alexander who was a cashier and Mr Wightman was either chief cashier or assistant manager at Ardrossan.
weeliz
New Poster
New Poster

Post by weeliz »

I think the girl 3rd from left with long dark hair is Jean Scott - she was in same year as me at Ardrossan Academy
reidsville
Settling In
Settling In

Post by reidsville »

Just catching up with an earlier post from down south Lorna MCnicol was indeed the daughter of Mr MCnicol the Manager and was the bridesmaid at Janis MCphails wedding whom I married in 1976
Cheers Reidsville
SolcotsSue

Post by SolcotsSue »

canfactory wrote:Susan

Back row, from the left

Unknown, possibly Paul Stevenson (now the local undertaker), unknown, Bill McKay, Janice McPhail, Charlie Welsh, unknown, Kathleen Knox, Helen Hill, unknown, unknown, unknown, unknown, Margaret Kelso (nee Pritchard), unknown, Cathy Carrino (previously Norwood), Andy Campbell, unknown, Archie Garven, unknown.
I don't think that is Paul Stevenson as he is younger than me and I was still at school in 1975. :?

Also Cathy Carrino, is that not the girl Morrison, forget her first name, but she was married to a Norwood too and remember he got killed many years ago. (might be the same person, but possibly married a Carrino) :smt102

Also the guy standing to the right of the above 'Cathy' is Danny Gibb from Saltcoats.
canfactory
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by canfactory »

SolcotsSue

Cathie Carrino was indeed married to John Norwood. Later she married one of the of Carrinos connected to the Saltcoats hairdressing business.

Are you sure about Danny? I am positive Daniel (as he preferred to be called in the working enviromment) had left RBS before this picture was taken. He went into teacher training of some sort in, I am sure, Holland.

C.