The First Wilkie's shop

Upload your three towns photographs here - people or places.
Forum rules
Post photographs here, which depict places or people in or from the three towns. You are welcome to upload direct from your computer to this album.
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

The First Wilkie's shop

Post by down south »

The Herald Files " 100 years ago " reports that in April 1907 Mr Robert Couper Wilkie took over the premises at 48 Dockhead Street from Mr George Brown. That shop, midway along Dockhead St, was familiar to generations as Wilkie's the grocers, until it closed 60 years later in 1967; and was succeeded by the delicatessen in Hamilton St run by Couper Wilkie, grandson of the original founder.

But there was an early Wilkie's shop other than the Dockhead St one, and which probably was where the business started out . Because here's a picture of it; situated on a corner site somewhere in Saltcoats, and somewhen at the start of the 20th century. The photo appeared in the Herald in the early 70s as a comment on rising prices, without further explanation; and for years I've wondered where it was.
phpil2bPzAM.jpg
But recently I found a clue. Under the topic title " Never heard of it " Penny Tray posted a clip of a paper calling itself the Stevenston Press and Saltcoats Advertiser, dated 1913; and in this there was an advert for Wilkie's shops at Dockhead St and Springvale St. Is this the answer ? I'm not familiar enough with the Springvale area myself to judge if this looks like any shop premise there.

Susan
Last edited by down south on Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wellparkno9
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Re: The First Wilkie's shop

Post by wellparkno9 »

Susan, looks like it could be on the corner of Springvale St and Gleebe st.Now it is still a grocers shop belonging to the Wylie Bros. Its been a grocers all my life ,I can mind it being ,McLellans, and Wilson's,used to get my sweeties there when at St. Mary's School
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

Thanks, Sam , that's great; looks as though we've got the right place then.

Susan
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

The letters in the sign above the door are the same as those on the shop in Dockhead St. I wonder if they took them with them when they moved.

JD.
howiesboy
Settling In
Settling In

Post by howiesboy »

Was Wilson the man who went on to work with Templetons at the War Memorial when he gave up his shop?
wellparkno9
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by wellparkno9 »

Hi, yes ,Mr Wilson went to work at Templetons .He had a son Raymond and a daughter ,cant mind her name, Sam.
mabel_p
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

Post by mabel_p »

only just found this photo. definitely in sprinvale street-right on the corner of it and Glebe Place. Jim and Carol Abercrombie had it in the 1980s and then a family from redcar I think .Boyes family? Magic wee shop! :D