Three Towns Aerial Coverage

Upload your three towns photographs here - people or places.
Forum rules
Post photographs here, which depict places or people in or from the three towns. You are welcome to upload direct from your computer to this album.
louislojoma
Settling In
Settling In

Re: Three Towns Aerial Coverage

Post by louislojoma »

Bobby the white building in the foreground of Al's picture is Africa House.
Three Towns Aerial Coverage P7.jpg
Louis
FlyingAl
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by FlyingAl »

Howdy y'all, :)

a few more shots of the ardeer factory area.

cheers
al
ardeer01.jpg
ardeer02.jpg
FlyingAl
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by FlyingAl »

enjoy

al
ardeer03.jpg
ardeer04.jpg
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by little plum »

Al, really enjoying your posts. I assume that was you out and about the other day flying over the roof tops. If I had a decent memory I would be more accurate as to what day and time, I did notice the canopy's colours, red, white and blue. I was half expecting a post of Ashgrove loch, I seem to remember Morag putting in a special request. :)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The trouble with retirement is that you never get a day off - Abe Lemons
bobbydarg
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bobbydarg »

Agree with everything you said LP. This post has me hooked. How often do you get a chance to see where you live from above?
be nice to your children, they'll pick your care home
FlyingAl
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by FlyingAl »

little plum wrote:Al, really enjoying your posts. I assume that was you out and about the other day flying over the roof tops. If I had a decent memory I would be more accurate as to what day and time, I did notice the canopy's colours, red, white and blue. I was half expecting a post of Ashgrove loch, I seem to remember Morag putting in a special request. :)
Hi LP,

No, it wisnae me this time, unless it was a week past saturday. My canopy is red, white and blue though, white underneath, blue on top with a thin red line running across it. you can see it on page 5 of this thread.

I read Morag's request after my last flight so I'll definetely try and get a load of snaps from around the Kerlaw area next time i'm up.

Cheers'n'beers
al
FlyingAl
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by FlyingAl »

oops, I meant my canopy picture is on page 2 of this thread. :)

al
bobbydarg
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bobbydarg »

Well spotted Al. :lol:
Last edited by bobbydarg on Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
be nice to your children, they'll pick your care home
ellenyoung31
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by ellenyoung31 »

Hello Al. Thank you for the Ardeer photos, Robert and I have
tried to see if we could find,where the Fusehead was. Ellen.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

Just had another look at your pics, Al..the one from Ardrossan towards Portencross is especially gorgeous. Thank you for these wee trips 'back home'!
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by little plum »

FlyingAl wrote:a few more from the old photo box :)
stevenston10.jpg
Ellen, I'm sure the fuse head was down towards the bridge over the Garnock. With so much removed from the site it's difficult to be more accurate. It ended with D.L.4 an automated plant that could produce the end product under one roof, that is, fuse wire , fuse head and detonator. Next door to this was D.L. 5 , this building contained the wire shop and the efams. The girls in the wire shop made up the fuse wire bundles, they also had to do some hand soldering of the fuse heads. The efams were automated, these machines were fed with the wire bundles by the girls. After the wires went through various stations of preparation the wire was finished with a fuse head soldered on to it. The next one down towards the bridge was the dets tradesman's workshop. And further on was what wee called the units, this area was a clean floor and you had to put on overshoes when entering. It was mostly presses in here and it was common for the presses to explode, that was why the walls on the inside were steel plate and the exterior wall and roof were made of wood to direct the blast. This area also had the tube drawing ( I'm sure Gavin McInnes worked here) the lead tubes contained a charge and were extruded to a diameter that fitted the detonator. And finally down near the Garnock we had the fuse head where they dipped the small aluminium foils. :)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The trouble with retirement is that you never get a day off - Abe Lemons
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

LP
the fuse-head was on the left-hand side of the road which led to the wharf, just before the silicons across the bogie lines. Or you could go via the clean floored passageway.
The fuse-head process started with black card being compressed between two layers of foil on a steam heated press.
From there it was cut into strips and put through a stamping machine and made into combs. The combs were then put through another machine which cut a rebate on the tips of the comb teeth. The combs were then loaded into the soldering machines. The soldering machines wrapped fine wire round the tips of the comb and soldered it to the comb. That took place inside one building I can't remember what number it was.
The combs were then loaded into trays in another building and the tips of the teeth were dipped in a highly flammable material. (ending up still on the comb but not unlike a match)
Then dried the combs were then taken to another building and were processed through another machine which tested, cut off and sorted the fuse head according to the electrical resistance measured across the wire.
-------------and if you are still wakened that is how a fuse head was made. Later on a machine called the "Unifoil" did all this under one roof. :?