Ardrossan Harbour

Upload your three towns photographs here - people or places.
Forum rules
Post photographs here, which depict places or people in or from the three towns. You are welcome to upload direct from your computer to this album.
KellyClan
New Poster
New Poster

Re: Ardrossan Harbour

Post by KellyClan »

Hi HarrySteell

Jimmy Carson says that yes the Kane family did live there. The houses were called Dock Gates as they were 25 feet away from the dock entrance. The ships passed so close that passed locked out the sunlight in the houses. There was a lock gate there, you can just see it in the aerial photo posted on this web page. The lock was used to allow large boats to get into the basin for ship repairs, the old dry dock was there. The lock was operated by a man known as Nelson who had both of his legs amputated in an accident at the harbour. We think Nelson may have been his surname.

Hugh Kelly of Dock Gates operated the only steam crane in the harbour. Coal was loaded onto the boats with that Crane known as Kelly's Crane as he was the only one who could operate it.

The Kelly boys were very active during the war. Joe and Pat were in the Navy, Johnny and Hugh were in the Merchant Navy. Jimmy was wounded in Europe serving in the army. Dan was called up at the beginning of the war and served in the Middle East for years. We have family photos of them.

The Kelly family lived at Dock Gates until about 1960 when they were rehoused to a brand new house at Queens Drive in Ardrossan and Dock Gates was demolished.
brickie123
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

Post by brickie123 »

hi kellyclan, re daniel mulvena can you give me an approx date for the article about dan mulvena in the ardrossan& saltcoats herald.his son daniel was married to a great aunt of mine catherine mcnamara who all went to america in 1923,im in touch with the mulvena clan still living in the states & any information you have i can pass on to them.
Kellyhiggins
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

Post by Kellyhiggins »

Hi KellyyClan

My Grandmother, Lizzie Higgins, nee Kelly was Hughs brother and lived at Harbour Buildings. I have been buildings our family history and through my Mother, Margaret McAdam - nee Higgins and Mary Ivey, nee Higgins, although both have now passed on have quite a bit of family history. As a boy remember Annie and Letty Kelly comming to see us, almost every Friday, when we lived in Mongomerie Street. My father worked in the shipyard and Uncle Hughie I saw every other day in his "cran" on the dockside. I am the son of Margaret McAdam and am trying to obtain photogrpahs etc of Kelly family, regrettably we have none. I have a lot of information and you are the first link I have found. Happy to share history information and otther on Ardossan history.

Michael
Foggy_Lens
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

Post by Foggy_Lens »

Hi, my grandfather was based at Ardrossan during WW2 and was awarded a bravery award when he saved someone from drowning when knocked from an aircraft carrier by a landing plane. I am struggling to find more information about what his role and the role of the navy would have been. Could anyone help please?
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

brickie123 wrote:hi kellyclan, re daniel mulvena can you give me an approx date for the article about dan mulvena in the ardrossan& saltcoats herald.his son daniel was married to a great aunt of mine catherine mcnamara who all went to america in 1923,im in touch with the mulvena clan still living in the states & any information you have i can pass on to them.
It's a long time since the question was asked but today I noticed the following article in the 12 December 1945 edition of the Glasgow Herald (not the Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald) -

ARDROSSAN MAN DROWNED

DANIEL MULVENA, (89), was found drowned yesterday in Ardrossan Harbour. Mulvena, who was retired and formerly went to seas, lived at Dock Gates, Ardrossan. It is presumed he fell into the water during darkness.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
Lettie61
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Lettie61 »

brickie123 wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:08 pm hi kellyclan, re daniel mulvena can you give me an approx date for the article about dan mulvena in the ardrossan& saltcoats herald.his son daniel was married to a great aunt of mine catherine mcnamara who all went to america in 1923,im in touch with the mulvena clan still living in the states & any information you have i can pass on to them.
Hi, I am trying to get in touch with Mulvena or McNamara family or relatives. My dad was Jimmy Carson (married to Annie Kelly) and passed away on 25/2/19, Age 91yrs.
dandan1981
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

Post by dandan1981 »

Hello, my grandad, Patrick Kelly, was Daniel Mulvena's grandson. We have a few newspaper clippings and a picture of Daniel Mulvena that my Papa had. Happy to send copies to anyone who would like them and would love to see any others of him or any of the Kelly clan that anyone has. Thanks