Post Office telephone engineers June 1967

Upload your three towns photographs here - people or places.
Forum rules
Post photographs here, which depict places or people in or from the three towns. You are welcome to upload direct from your computer to this album.
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post Office telephone engineers June 1967

Post by down south »

This picture shows some of the winners at the safe driving awards ceremony in June 1967 for Post Office telephone engineers in the Saltcoats district ( defined as Largs to Kilwinning, including Arran and Millport ).

PO engineers July 1967.jpg

The awards were presented by Mr A G Ballard, acting deputy telephone manager for the West of Scotland, who is described as being third from the left in the picture; and also a guest was Superintendent D Fullarton of Saltcoats Police, I assume seen back centre , who in his speech pointed out that there were only three accidents to telephone vans in the district last year. As for the rest, the picture is very poor quality for identifying anyone, but it may help that there's a list of the award winners.

David McCrae, second star bar to 20 year medal; Joseph Garland, second bar to five year medal; Andrew Frentz and Harry McCulloch, five year medal; diplomas to Reginald Rankin, Kenneth Colville, Ian Ross, Andrew Torrance, and Alistair Henry; exemption certificates to Malcolm Buchanan,Samuel Davidson, Bryce Dunlop, James Jones, William Johnston, Angus McDonald, John Norwood Miller, Reginald Pole and William Stewart.

At a guess, remembering that Meekan's uncle was a telephone engineer, the Angus McDonald named might be him !; but it's probably too much to hope that he's one of those in the picture, as the leading winners are more likely to be shown.

Susan
Last edited by down south on Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Post Office telephone engineers June 1967

Post by meekan »

Susan, it was my father in law and my wife's uncles who were the gpo engineers. I did meet the mentioned Angus MacDonald who when I met him was an area manager. I also met with a few of those mentioned, although they are not easy to identify from the photo.
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

Thanks for clarifying that, Angus; sorry I misremembered.

Susan
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

PS I've had some doubts expressed to me as to whether that is in fact Superintendent Dan Fullarton in the picture.

Susan