Saltcoats Worthies (4)

Upload your three towns photographs here - people or places.
Forum rules
Post photographs here, which depict places or people in or from the three towns. You are welcome to upload direct from your computer to this album.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Saltcoats Worthies (4)

Post by Hughie »

See Saltcoats Worthies (1) for source.

...........G. Chapman..................J. Dunlop.......................J. Erskine.................J. Stewart

..................................Image
.........................................Mr and Mrs Queen..............Robert Morrison
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Saltcoats Worthies (4)

Post by John Donnelly »

Hi Hughie,
this is an interesting thread.
it would be even more interesting if there were some information about who they were and why they were considered worthies.
JD.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Sorry, John. Everything I know about these are in the first topic. I was hoping we could get more feedback from people who actually knew them. Personally the only ones I knew where Arthur (Bill) Woodcock and Robert (Inky) Morrison. Bill is mentioned here. Inky was my cousin who along with two brothers and a sister grew up in Nineyard Street directly across from what was the Mission Coast Home.
gnyaff
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by gnyaff »

Hi Hughie,

Mr and Mrs Queen lived at number 59 Auchenharvie Road in the fifties and early sixties. He had a business of some sort, whether it was a travelling one like Andy Gibson I cannot remember. He would always keep a few bottles of lemonade (assorted flavours) at home and whenever we wanted lemonade we just knocked on the door and he came out and sold them. We lived diagonally opposite his house.

Wee Boney
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Thanks for that, John. The mention of the lemonade had me trying to recalling a vague mention that there was a connection between this Queen family and the Quinn's who had the Saw Mill at Ardrossan - they lived round the corner in Mayfield Road. I worked as a fourteen year-old delivering firewood logs in the area for Felix Quinn along with my brother in the mid-fifties.

Added:
The Quinn's were such lovely people. With us having lost our mother as youngsters they treated Bobby and I like family - Mrs Quinn's cooking was looked forward to each Saturday lunch time - lovely memories right there for me.
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

John Erskine stayed in the High Road Saltcoats across from where Tesco is now. He was a senior elder in the North Parish church before moving to stay with his son in England, where he later died.
John was a gentlemen and had a great influence in my life. He gave me his well worn and tattered hymn book before he went away and I treasure it to this day. He was a regular at Saltcoats old men's club.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

meekan wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:56 pm John was a gentlemen and had a great influence in my life. He gave me his well worn and tattered hymn book before he went away and I treasure it to this day. He was a regular at Saltcoats old men's club.
Came across this on FB. Haven't got a date.
Saltcoats Old Men's Club.jpg