Stevenston Cross Keys RSC Barcelona Picture

Upload your three towns photographs here - people or places.
Forum rules
Post photographs here, which depict places or people in or from the three towns. You are welcome to upload direct from your computer to this album.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Stevenston Cross Keys RSC Barcelona Picture

Post by Vivc113 »

Aye. Went to school with daughter Ann. Her brother Stephen is on facebook.

I think Hughie suffered a stroke at one o the pubs in toon.
"Words are very.... unnecessary... they can only do harm".
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

GEODGC wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:33 pm
Derek (Deek) McCabe, who's in the photo himself - and who's also an ex neighbour of mine - kindly offered to ID as many folk in the pic as he could remember when I spoke to him yesterday. A black and white framed version of this photo still hangs on the wall in the Cross Keys to this day and Deek is fairly confident that given time he might be able to come up with one or two more names at least.

So, apart from those who's names have previously been mentioned:

2nd left holding the Banner is the Cross Keys owner at the time, Alex Grant.
To Alex's right, wearing the blue bunnet, is another Hughie Ferguson (Ardrossan)
The boy standing just in front of and to the right of young Robert Gibson is indeed William Paterson, bonzo.
The man right at the back, who's obviously standing on something to get himself in the shot better, is Roderick Havlin, and the dark haired guy below and just slightly to the right of him is Jackie Gemmell.
As mentioned, Deek McCabe is the dark haired guy who's standing almost directly under the 'C' in Cross. To the right of Deek and wearing the blue bunnet is George Havlin.
Behind and to the right of George Havlin is Robert Whiteford. And if I have this correct, the dark haired chap wearing the bunnet who's to the right of Robert Whiteford is Tammy Halliday.
The final name Deek provided me with yesterday was that of Ian (Scout) Climie, who has a big smile on his face and is second from the right, behind the woman who's wearing the light coloured coat.

Hope this helps.
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

I meant to add that I'm not entirely sure if Tammy Halliday is the chap I mentioned or the guy wearing the scarf in front of him. I'll need to check that with Deek the next time we meet in case I've got that wrong.
GEODGC
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by GEODGC »

michaelm wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:59 am
GEODGC wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:33 pm
Derek (Deek) McCabe, who's in the photo himself - and who's also an ex neighbour of mine - kindly offered to ID as many folk in the pic as he could remember when I spoke to him yesterday. A black and white framed version of this photo still hangs on the wall in the Cross Keys to this day and Deek is fairly confident that given time he might be able to come up with one or two more names at least.

So, apart from those who's names have previously been mentioned:

2nd left holding the Banner is the Cross Keys owner at the time, Alex Grant.
To Alex's right, wearing the blue bunnet, is another Hughie Ferguson (Ardrossan)
The boy standing just in front of and to the right of young Robert Gibson is indeed William Paterson, bonzo.
The man right at the back, who's obviously standing on something to get himself in the shot better, is Roderick Havlin, and the dark haired guy below and just slightly to the right of him is Jackie Gemmell.
As mentioned, Deek McCabe is the dark haired guy who's standing almost directly under the 'C' in Cross. To the right of Deek and wearing the blue bunnet is George Havlin.
Behind and to the right of George Havlin is Robert Whiteford. And if I have this correct, the dark haired chap wearing the bunnet who's to the right of Robert Whiteford is Tammy Halliday.
The final name Deek provided me with yesterday was that of Ian (Scout) Climie, who has a big smile on his face and is second from the right, behind the woman who's wearing the light coloured coat.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for that Michael, I was going to get hold of Derek myself and ask him but I hadn't got round to it yet. He's some boy btw. Anyway, a couple of others I've got are....

Guy in the bobble hat right in the centre of the pub doorway....Jim 'Smudger' Smith
The girl to Derek McCabes left.....Sandra Smith
Guy wearing the hat right in the centre with the brown jacket on holding the Union Flag...Billy Malcomson
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

Aye you're right about Derek GEO .. I've known oor Deek since my childhood days.

I see now that I was right to doubt myself as to who Tammy Halliday actually is in the photo, as you've identified Jim 'Smudger' Smith as the guy I wrongly thought was Tammy.
Tammy Halliday then must be the guy who's in front of Smudger - wearing the supporters scarf.

You also mention Sandra Smith and I recall Derek pointing to Jim Smith then her and saying they were definitely related. When I spoke to him yesterday he couldn't quite recall their names but was confident he'd remember them later.
exile
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by exile »

I always thought it was a shining example of tolerance and refusal of people to take life too seriously that the No 1 Rangers pub in Stevenston featured the Pope's banner.
GEODGC
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by GEODGC »

exile wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:08 pm I always thought it was a shining example of tolerance and refusal of people to take life too seriously that the No 1 Rangers pub in Stevenston featured the Pope's banner.
Thanks for that, what a great help that's been. I don't think religion has any place in sport personally.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

//funny
"Words are very.... unnecessary... they can only do harm".
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

Derek McCabe also told me that he thought a couple of the folk in the pic weren't locals and were possibly from the Glasgow area. Just speculating here, but I'm thinking he might have been referring to the two longish haired guys who are standing near to the front, 4th and 5th from the right, and possibly the older woman who's standing beside them as well.
I'm also wondering if the lady on the right wearing the coat and carrying a handbag could be Cross Keys proprietor Alex Grant's wife, as she's certainly not dressed like a typical football supporter.
In fact, she looks more akin to Maggie Thatcher. :lol:
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

Nce to see Alex Grant smiling, he ran a strict pub and was never seen in my memory to ever drink.
GEODGC
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by GEODGC »

Vivc113 wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:53 am//funny
What was the joke? I must have missed the punchline??
GEODGC
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by GEODGC »

michaelm wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:05 pm Derek McCabe also told me that he thought a couple of the folk in the pic weren't locals and were possibly from the Glasgow area. Just speculating here, but I'm thinking he might have been referring to the two longish haired guys who are standing near to the front, 4th and 5th from the right, and possibly the older woman who's standing beside them as well.
I'm also wondering if the lady on the right wearing the coat and carrying a handbag could be Cross Keys proprietor Alex Grant's wife, as she's certainly not dressed like a typical football supporter.
In fact, she looks more akin to Maggie Thatcher. :lol:
Yes Michael, I had heard a few in the picture were from outwith the town, some from Irvine I had heard. I'm still working on the people in the pic, I'm pretty sure I can put names to the lady in front and her husband to the left. I'm working on that.