Rotary/Round Table putting competition June 1968

Upload your three towns photographs here - people or places.
Forum rules
Post photographs here, which depict places or people in or from the three towns. You are welcome to upload direct from your computer to this album.
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Rotary/Round Table putting competition June 1968

Post by down south »

The Rotary Club took on the Round Table in this contest at the South Crescent putting green in June of 1968.
Putting competition June 1968.jpg
Always thought these two were different branches of the same organisation, but apparently not, though both involve themselves in charitable community activity. As I understand it the Rotary is an invitation-only association of the local great and good,business and professional people; the Round Table is for under-45s and has a more open membership, though I have the feeling it tended to attract the same sort of people.

The picture pre-dates the Herald's upgrade of its printing processes, so regrettably is of poorer quality than usual.

Susan
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Rotary/Round Table putting competition June 1968

Post by Penny Tray »

Susan,

The quality of the photo is indeed a challenge but I'll make three guesses - second from the left is, I think, one of the McPherson 'Dairy' brothers from Saltcoats - Graeme is in the name in my mind; 7th from the left, possibly Bill Lee from the 'Carrier' family whose garage was at the top of Glasgow Street, Ardrossan; and 8th from the left looks like the former Provost of Ardrossan, William Currie.

Incidentally, the other misconception about 'Round Table' and 'Rotary' is, that because the end-age for the former is 45, everyone in the latter has to be over 45. This isn't the case and 'Rotary' often extend invitations to successful young business and professional people to join them.

And I trust both have moved on from being all-male organisations?
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.