seafield hospital ayr

Upload your three towns photographs here - people or places.
Forum rules
Post photographs here, which depict places or people in or from the three towns. You are welcome to upload direct from your computer to this album.
creamolafoam
leading Poster
leading Poster

seafield hospital ayr

Post by creamolafoam »

Noticed it has ran in to severe disrepair the last few yrs. Started out as seafield house in the 1800s, but was used as a maternity and children's welfare hospital from 1921-1991.
I myself got my tonsils out there in the late 60s.
Remember thinking then it seemed miles away from my home and a scary place to be.
There has been numerous builders, developers etc attempted to take over it or save it to no avail and now the building is at risk.
got pics, but cant post for some reason (which is unusual as I have done in the past :) )
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: seafield hospital ayr

Post by sweet caroline »

Yes, I also was in for tonsils when I was young. They were enlarged and like Jonathon Ross I could not roll my R's.One of my sons attended for years with Kidney trouble. Was sorry when they closed it. Still remember the rocking horse, and the nightmare dream when having my Tonsils out . Being chased by an Alligator going round in circles. Being in a cot looking out the window to a field. The long white stockings.

SC
“He that has no fools, knaves, nor beggars in his family, was begot by a flash of lightning.” Thomas Fuller
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

I too had my tonsils removed in Seafield Hospital in Ayr when I was twelve. I'll never forget fighting the gas mask on my face in the operating theatre. Got the usual ice cream afterwards, and recall sitting looking over the balcony to a screen where the TV program was projected onto a screen - first time I ever saw Sooty. :lol: Have a faint recollection of being given penicillin chewing gum? Eldest brother came to pick me up and seemed more interested in eyeing up the nurses. :) Got home to Ardrossan via the normal AA bus.

My Boyce grandfather died in Seafield Heathfield Hospital at the age of 25 with TB. Family on my grandmother's side from Ardrossan had a few still-born babies in Seafield Hospital.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

I was another 12 year old who got his tonsils out at Seafield.

I remember being the oldest child in a ward of 10 or 12, and, on the day of the operation, being marched to a room where they sat us in a row of chairs extending from the youngest up to me. A nurse then took the youngest one away and the next we saw them was when they were being wheeled out of the adjacent operating theatre by someone in a blood splattered gown. Witnessing this eleven or so times was sufficiently traumatic for me to remember the detail today to this day, nearly 60 years later; but not half as traumatic as fighting the effects of the 'gas mask" they held over my face when it was my turn. To this day, every time I take a 'VICORY V' type lozenge I'm reminded of the smell of the anaesthetic.

I also remember the name of one nurse, Coughtrie, who belonged, I think, to Patna; having a throat like a sack full of broken bottles; and the joy of the ice cream you eventually had to swallow before being allowed home.

Not my favourite hospital adventure!
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

An old pal from Saltcoats in her late teens had her tonsils out at Seafield .Found it funny walking back into the ward after all that time. Ice cream as usual after the op.

SC
“He that has no fools, knaves, nor beggars in his family, was begot by a flash of lightning.” Thomas Fuller
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Is it just me but you never seem to hear about folk getting their tonsils out anymore?
Those wimin were in the nip.
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

bonzo wrote:Is it just me but you never seem to hear about folk getting their tonsils out anymore?
I don't think they like taking them out now.

SC
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Kind of thought that but then thought is it a young person thing and I'm not young anymore //funny
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

I had tonsillitis, pharyngitis, every itis to do with the throat but still have my tonsils. 8) Don't know if that's good or bad!
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

I had chickenpox and measles unclean unclean hahaha
maggie
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by maggie »

I got my tonsils out when I was 25 at
Ayr hospital and the river was frozen
and it had been snowing Hugh was
supposed to lite the fire but he slept
in I just wanted to go the Mum's :(
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

I know I'm horribly wrong but a lot of these posts made me laugh! When I was growing up if any kid on our street got something we were all pushed to play with them, a kind of 'get it out the way strategy. Our insurance man managed to infectseveral families with his daughter's scarlet fever, I ended up in hospital but think it was more Kilwinning / Irvine?
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis