North Shore of Ardrossan, 1920

Upload your three towns photographs here - people or places.
Forum rules
Post photographs here, which depict places or people in or from the three towns. You are welcome to upload direct from your computer to this album.
JustNancy
Settling In
Settling In

Re: North Shore of Ardrossan, 1920

Post by JustNancy »

Penny Tray, what a fascinating article. I googled and also found this:

"Wreck of The Ship Glencairn. Thrilling Narrative of Escape" by Lucas Bridges, 31 July 1907

It would appear Captain John Nichol had both his wife and his 18 month old child with him at the time.

"the stronger on foot, the captain among the latter, like a brave Scotchman, with his babe strapped on his back, and all arrived safely..."
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/58454107
JustNancy
Settling In
Settling In

Post by JustNancy »

Also the Court's findings on the Wreck of the Glencairn

http://www.plimsoll.org/resources/SCCLi ... /19311.asp
JustNancy
Settling In
Settling In

Post by JustNancy »

Penny Tray I found this post script that does list John Nichol's wife and sons name. The wife was "Jane" and that does fit as being Jane Bell the sister to Agnes McCleod (Bell) Seaton and most likely one of the woman in the above photo.
Thanks for all your help and leads!!
The search continues :D

(Lesley Nichol writes, XII-2012): On board the Glencairn were Captain John Nichol, his wife Jane and their 17 month old son, John Glencairn. Following their safe return to Ardrossan in Scotland, they went on to have a daughter and another son. Captain Nichol died in 1915, only eight years after their rescue. He was 37. To support the family, his wife opened a small grocer's shop. Around 30 years after their rescue, Lucas Bridges did a broadcast for BBC radio. Mrs Nichol contacted him and, some time later, he visited her in Ardrossan. She enquired after the Ona Indians who had saved their lives and was greatly amused to learn that they had wanted to kidnap her as a companion for Lucas Bridges.

In June 2007 the family held a reunion to commemorate the centenary of the saving of the crew of the Glencairn. It was held on the barque Glenlee, a sailing ship similar in size and age to the Glencairn. The Glenlee is moored on the River Clyde in front of the Scottish Transport Museum. Present at the reunion were 30 direct descendents of the Captain and his wife, all of whom owe a great debt to the Ona and Lucas Bridges.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Nancy,

Great stuff. As a coincidence I have previously posted about the GLENLEE. I was walking the south bank of the River Clyde one day, not too long ago, when I saw her being towed to her present berthing place -
Attachments
SAILING SHIP 013 (2).jpg
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
JustNancy
Settling In
Settling In

Post by JustNancy »

Penny Tray, what a coincidence indeed. This is a great shot you captured and what great luck to have your camera with you when it was being towed. Thank you for sharing this.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Just Nancy,

Re our previous discussion in the - JUST JOINED? PLEASE INTRODUCE YOURSELF TOPIC - The Glasgow Herald carries the following wedding intimation which they indicate was received "by cable". It contains more information than that available in the Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald database -

SEATON - BONE: At the Presbytarian Church, Johannesburg, on 7 May, by the Rev. Dr. Ross, WILLIAM RICHMOND SEATON (of Seaton & Co., Catrine), to ANNIE BONE, second daughter of David Bone, Esq., J.P., Auchencloigh, Galston.
JustNancy
Settling In
Settling In

Post by JustNancy »

Penny Tray, what a great article, I thought they got married in Johannesburg, but wasn't positive, now I know. Thanks so much for your help, I really appreciate it.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Penny Tray wrote:Yes, 185 Glasgow Street, Ardrossan, does still exist.
Hi Nancy, You might like to look at the following topic pointed out to me by member Netta : http://www.threetowners.net/forum/viewt ... 286#p12286

The Kate, mentioned in the topic was born in that building and is a close friend of my wife and I - she was the district nurse in our seaside town here in Australia before retiring.
bobnetau
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bobnetau »

Could there be a connection with the Seaton family mentioned and the naming of Seton street. I know the spelling is different but that happens sometimes.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

bobnetau wrote:Could there be a connection with the Seaton family mentioned and the naming of Seton street. I know the spelling is different but that happens sometimes.
Seton Street owes its name, I think, to ROBERT SETON, born 1552, first Earl of Winton, who married Lady Margaret Montgomerie, daughter of HUGH MONTGOMERIE, third Earl of Eglinton.

I never did see any of his descendants up at the 'greasy pole' :lol:

However, you did remind me of Mr Seaton who was Burgh Surveyor when I was a boy and it may be of interest to JustNancy to note that he had REID as a middle name, one of the additional family names she has mentioned.

Mr Seaton's obituary from the Glasgow Herald reads -

"SEATON: Suddenly at Glasgow, on 19th February 1965, HUGH REID SEATON, (Burgh Surveyor, Ardrossan), aged 61 years, of 32 Dalry Road, Ardrossan, beloved husband of FLORA HILL."

I think there was also a son, DOUGLAS, who may still live in the Threetowns?

There is one 'D SEATON', living in Stevenston, in the public telephone directory.
bobnetau
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bobnetau »

PT, I knew you would know who Seton Street was named after. Thank you, I lived in Seton Street on the corner diagonally across from 185 Glasgow street.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Netta,

Strangely, Mr Seaton, the Burgh Surveyor, also lived in Seaton Street at one time too.