Ardrossan 1950s view - what can you see?

Upload your three towns photographs here - people or places.
Forum rules
Post photographs here, which depict places or people in or from the three towns. You are welcome to upload direct from your computer to this album.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Ardrossan 1950s view - what can you see?

Post by Hughie »

This is a view looking down from the Cannon Hill in Ardrossan towards Glasgow Street. On the extreme bottom left is the back of the WW2 War Memorial. Over the wall and each side of the Castle Craigs are the tennis courts as I remember them back them. What can you see that may have changed?
Source: Robert Cook in Canada.
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Ardrossan 1950s view - what can you see?

Post by John Donnelly »

Well, the rain hasn't changed. :-(

JD.
George Ardrossan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by George Ardrossan »

Hughie

I went to the Cannon Hill this morning to take a photo to help answer your question about what has changed.

It is not very helpful because of the trees in the foreground. In the 1950s photo, the houses at the left beside the bus have been demolished and replaced by flats called Kilmahew Court. There is a building in the top right corner of your photo that is no longer there. I don't know what is was but someone might be able to help. The flagpole on the grass in front of the Castle Craigs is no longer there but there is a flagpole on the Craigs building. I have never seen a flag on it. Ardrossan Civic Centre was built in the mid 1970s beside the Craigs but is obscured by the trees in today's photo.

John

Yes - it was raining. :(

George
mcgrattan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by mcgrattan »

The building at the top right corner is the Gasworks off Parkhouse Road and McDowall Avenue.

Tom McGrattan
George Ardrossan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by George Ardrossan »

Thanks, Tom.

I'm far too young to remember that. :)

George
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

Indoor bowls.

SC
“He that has no fools, knaves, nor beggars in his family, was begot by a flash of lightning.” Thomas Fuller
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Another great photo!

The bus going up Glasgow Street is obscuring Miss Gracie's General Store at the junction of Glasgow Street/Barr Street. On the opposite corner was Mary Morrison's Bakery, and just further up the Glasgow Street was May Haining's Fruit and Vegetable shop. Just to the left of the Gasworks, mentioned by McGrattan, I think I can see the Eglinton School tower, and high up, right in the centre of the picture, is an excellent outline of Stanley Farm.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Yes, Penny. And that clump of trees at Mckinnon's Stanley farm gives us a bearing of the intersection of Dalry road with Stanley Road. Here's a later photo posted by Bob Bryden taken a few hundred yards further along the Cannon Hill. Anyone know what that black Nissan hut was used for - the tennis club?

One of the gasometers can be seen in both photos to the left of the gasworks with the burgh incinerator chimney behind it.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Hughie,

Was the Nissen hut, to give it its title then, not the Old Age Pensioners' Club?

And does anyone remember the wee football pitch, goalposts and all, that sat on that wee plateau above it?,
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

I believe you might be right about the Nissen hut, Penny. And yes, I remember that wee fitba pitch, played a game called 'combine'? there a few times when I was a wee boy - odd place for a fitba pitch, as the ball could end up almost rolling to Glasgow Street if you scored a goal. :roll:
Sarah
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Sarah »

I remember giving that maypole many a good turn, what a great place the hill was for us kids growing up.
mo_gacky
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mo_gacky »

ahhhhh I was wondering where the maypole was, thanks many a great time I had on that.