Ardrossan 1950s view - what can you see?

Upload your three towns photographs here - people or places.
Forum rules
Post photographs here, which depict places or people in or from the three towns. You are welcome to upload direct from your computer to this album.
tapnagol
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Ardrossan 1950s view - what can you see?

Post by tapnagol »

Was'nt the Nissen hut in the early 1960s used by the burgh gardeners ?.
bobnetau
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bobnetau »

I seem to remember there being parallel bars at that playpark too. My legs slipped one day while I was hanging upside down and I landed on my head. Might account for my memory problems nowadays.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

I have no personal recollection of the burgh gardeners using the Nissen hut but there was definitely a set of parallel bars at the playground.

Looking again at Bob Bryden's photo, I'm reminded that the hall beyond the hut and behind what was then the Park Church is where the 1st Ardrossan Life Boys met every Thursday evening in the 50s. The Girls Guildry met there too, possibly on Friday evenings. Beyond that there's two white buildings on the left hand side of Winton Place which might be Mitchell's Dairy. Maybe 'Meekan the Milkboy' could clarify this.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

Penny it was indeed Mitchell’s dairy the floor of which I scrubbed many a time. The small building in front of the dairy is where Davie Agnew stored his vegetable truck he also had a shop in Princes Street. On the corner of the lane and Winton Street there was another building the owner of which I can’t remember, but later was owned by Ardbright lighting company. They later moved into the dairy building.
Back to the black and white photo the two buses were rear entry and most certainly they would have conductress’s on board. The one going up Glasgow Street is a Western SMT and coming down looks like an AA green bus, both companies no longer in existence now, like the rear entry buses. Incidentally the Street we referred to as Winton Place or lane, is now called Glasgow Lane.
bobnetau
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bobnetau »

Penny Tray wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:29 am I have no personal recollection of the burgh gardeners using the Nissen hut but there was definitely a set of parallel bars at the playground.

Looking again at Bob Bryden's photo, I'm reminded that the hall beyond the hut and behind what was then the Park Church is where the 1st Ardrossan Life Boys met every Thursday evening in the 50s. The Girls Guildry met there too, possibly on Friday evenings. Beyond that there's two white buildings on the left hand side of Winton Place which might be Mitchell's Dairy. Maybe 'Meekan the Milkboy' could clarify this.
Thanks, PT. Glad to know my memory of the parallel bars was correct BUT you set me worrying. I went to the Girls Guildry at Park Church and don't remember going out to that building, oh dear!My initial thought was the Guildry was a Thurs night. I wonder if it was held inside the church hall and the Life Boys were out in the other building
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Netta,

Firstly the hall was actually attached to the church buildings. The photo maybe gives the impression that it was a totally separate entity. The members of the Life Boys and Girls Guildry however, entered the grounds of the church via a door in the wall on the Hill Place side, walked a few yards and then entered the actual building through a 'back' door. I remain convinced too that the Life Boys met on a Thursday in the 50s and the Guildry on a Friday, certainly never on the same night. The only time I ever remember them being in the hall together was for a combined "Christmas Party." The trauma of postmans' knock has never left me :lol:.

Meekan,

Unless somebody has changed something, Glasgow Lane used to extend from Park Road to Winton Street; and Winton Place from Winton Street to Hill Place.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

We certainty learn something every day. I thought Winton place ran the whole way from Hill Place to Park Road, intact I'm fairly sure on Mitchell Dairy bottles the address was Winton Lane. But every day is a school day.
bobnetau
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bobnetau »

PT, you will be correct about it being a Friday for Guildry.
I knew the hall was attached to Church when I went to the Nazarene but in the photo it seemed to be attached.