Farmer's name Carlung Farm

For those researching family in the three towns area.
bobnetau
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Farmer's name Carlung Farm

Post by bobnetau »

Bobby says John Wardrope was the farm manager. He picked the Potato pickers up in his jaguar.
john kean
Settling In
Settling In

Post by john kean »

Harry - your'e memory is a blast from the past! I used to do the "tatties" at Yonderfield during the 50's and John Wardrop is a name I had completely forgotten. Ms Pierce was always at Yonderfield although I dont know if she actually "lived" there on the farm itself. You might have remembered her delivering the milk in WK! Quite an unforgettable woman!

Ozzie was indeed the factor (although the time period when this was, I dont really know....He was definitely there when Ms Pierce died. As there were a number of farms on the estate I have to assume they were always extremely busy.

I remember the Irish squads very well. They lived in the bothy just a wee bit further down the Portencross road from Yonderfield. There were some bonny girls, and they were always very carefully chaperoned by older folks on the squads, Sometimes I went to the dances they held on Saturday nights - (one sticks in my mind at Chapelton farm in Seamill). They were really nice folks, and I always saw them at the Chapel on a Sunday. (often wandered how there lives went over the ensuing years?).
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

Wasn't there a potato merchant who lived down at Porten Cross; McCallum / McAllister ??

I remember his car registration was POT80.

JD.
harrysteell
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by harrysteell »

Hi John was it Montgomerys potato merchant
Harry.
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

Hi Harry,

It was McDowall. By pure coincidence I've just seen the name on another thread here.(Quarry Lane).

JD.

Post by Guest »

Dear All. WOW this is really a lot of information and i am impressed, it just shows the power of the internet. However, I guess that we are missing a generation as Lady Barr was of the Irn Brew generation and I can remember meeting her at her Portencross house, which has now been turned into flats, when the military requesitioned Carlung House during WW2 and walked across her" treasured ballroom floor in their military boots" her quotes. My grand uncle John Russell had many farming cotacts of which I know absolutely nothing so I was hoping that one of his relations by marriage, and a reconisable family name, may have occupied the tennancy of Carlung Farm during this period. With all the info supplied i will have to try and work through it to see if I can make some positive outcome.
However in the intervening time can I offer my sincere thanks to all who have replied,what a wonderful bunch of people on this site.
Your help is much appreciated and thanks
Ian
James Simpson

Post by James Simpson »

Hi Ian, John Kean & Everyone Else,

I too am from West Kilbride with connections to Carlung Farm.

My father, Allan, did a great deal of research into our family tree. Over the last few years I've been trying to fill in the gaps. My Great Grandfather also Allan was a farmer at Carlung in the late 19th Century. When he died, in 1902, he was a Grain Merchant in West Kilbride. My Grandfather, James, farmed at Yonderton Farm and would have had links to Carlung. Sadly, that's all I know at the moment. My ancestors also farmed at Carlung from about 1680 to 1768.

Just to square a couple of circles; I went to school in the 1970s with Billy Howie whilst his father was still farming at Carlung. I'm sure I've met Pat Graham; we were both working on the construction of the Channel Tunnel at the time (1991 -92). He was a ganger man for a civil engineering company. He was reminiscing about his time in "East Kilbride, West Kilbride" at Yonderfield Farm.

Kind regards,

JS
geomacintyre
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by geomacintyre »

Don't remember much about the farmer as such at Carlung but do remember back breaking work in the tattie fields in 1969 to help out classmate Gordon Weir who lived with sister Liz and his family at Carlung Cottages. Think it must have been July 1 or thereabouts as I had to send my mum to get the commerorative cover of the stamps of Charlie boy becoming the Prince of Wales. I was so eager to see the stamps that my dirty thumb print from badly washed hands (and what my mum said about her towel cannot be repeated) is still on the envelope.
What we do for ourselves alone dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. - Albert Pine

Post by Guest »

My Grandfather William Howie farmed Carlung Farm in the times you are inquiring about. I am the family historian so I doubt you are related to the Howies. William Howie took over the farm just before the war and farmed until his death in 1967. His son William then farmed it for about 8 more years.
I hope this helps. I'm not sure if you will get this reply to your question as I am not registered with Roots chat.
J M D
McClintock William

Post by McClintock William »

Hi
My name is William McClintock. I have vague memories of living at Yonderfields in the mid 1950s. My father worked there his name was Tom and he was married to Lillian. We moved to Coventry around 1958. I still have an uncle and aunt living in Ardrossan who might be able to help with more background info. Remember helping to pick tattoos with the Irish pickers