Farmer's name Carlung Farm

For those researching family in the three towns area.

Farmer's name Carlung Farm

Post by Guest »

Hi everyone

Firstly, I am a guest on this Forum and I have been directed here in my quest to find the name of the farmer at Carlung Farm during WW2.
I was at Carlung, the estate of Lady Barr, as a guest living at Yonderfield Farm. At the time, around 1940, Lady Barr had her main residence requesitioned by the Army and was living at Portencross.
I would like to know the names of people who worked at Carlung Farm as someone organised my mother and my move from Glasgow to West Kilbride.
I suspect that surnames may have been Russell or Cameron. However, any information on other surnames on this quest would be very welcome.
Best wishes to all members and I look forward to your help in this matter.
Ian.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Farmer's name Carlung Farm

Post by Meg »

Hello Ian and welcome to the 3Ts - I am sure someone here will be able to either answer or point you in the right direction for your query.

Meg
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Ian,

Have you tried Ayrshire Archives? They have answered emails re farm queries very quickly in the past from their valuation rolls. This is the lady who helped me out last time round.

Pamela McIntyre
Archivist, Job Share
Monday - Wednesday
Ayrshire Archives
Watson Peat Building
Auchincruive Campus
Ayr
KA6 5HW
tel: 01292 521819
fax: 01292 521747
http://www.ayrshirearchives.org.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.

Post by Guest »

Dear Penny, thanks for the address I will try it now.

Ian.
john kean
Settling In
Settling In

Post by john kean »

Ian -
Carlung farm was run by a family called Howie during 1940's & 1950's.
John

Post by Guest »

Hi John,
Thanks for the information, as I am stuck with this part of my family tree.However, your information has eliminated this part of my enquiries,so many thanks for that and back to the drawing board.
Thanks to everyone on the site for your help.

Ian
john kean
Settling In
Settling In

Post by john kean »

Ian,
I am originally from West Kilbride, and therefore know all the farms and the people. (I worked casually on most of the farms at one time or another - a way of life for a lot of people in those days). Most of my family do in fact still live there.
If I can help in any way, then please let me know.

Regards,
John

Post by Guest »

Hi John,This is great and you may have the info which may unlock my dead end and this help is coming all the way from Florida, amazing.
As I said in an earlier post, my mother and I were occupying the house at Yonderfield farm and we had to first visit Lady Barr, I guess to see if we were suitable candidates.She was at Potencross at the time.
After that we went to meet someone at Carlung farm who may have been the farmer at Carlung or they may have been distant relations working there.
I would have been 6years old at the time so that would be around 1940. I think there must have been some family connection in making this arrangement and, if there was, my mother could have told me but she died some time ago, I never asked her and all her brother and sisters,who may have been able to help were also dead.
My mother's uncle John Russell may have been the person who could have made this arrangement as he and his wife did have family farming connections and a daughter who may have ended up in West Kilbride,hence I am suggesting the surname Russell or possibly Cameron,the latter family having been born or living on the "Bonnie Banks of Loch Lomond" at Luss.
This speculation is a long shot and I would be delighted if you could help me John, all the way from Florida.
John,did you ever work on the Carlung estate?

Regards

Ian.
john kean
Settling In
Settling In

Post by john kean »

Ian,
My apologies for delay in responding. This is the first time I have been able to get back into "three towners website since my last response (still working full time in Texas, so work has to be the priority).

I will cut and paste the latest information you have provided, and email it to a friend of mine who, (with his parents and siblings), worked and lived on the Hunterston estate (close neighbour of Yonderfield), during the 40's and 50's.

I will also contact my own family over the weekend and have them jog some memories in the village. (West Kilbride is a great wee place for gossip - history books are definitely not needed with the old local people).

I will respond soonest with any information I get. Patience will get us there!

Regards,

John
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

Ian and John,

Annie Kean nee Wilson Death Date
From a tree on Ancestry

William Kean
Birth 18 Jun 1882 in Carlung Farm, West Kilbride

Annie Kean nee Shaw
Father William Wilson
Birth abt 1815 in Maybole, Ayrshire
Death before 1861

Mother
Margaret Shaw
Birth 1821 in Maybole, Ayrshire, Scotland
Death 26 Jul 1893 in Carlung, West Kilbride

Owner of Tree lorraineshaw777
Last log in: Over 6 months ago

Research Interests
Peavot in London, Middlesex, England
Evenett in Saffron Walden
Shaw in Glasgow, Lanarkshire, and Maybole, Ayrshire, Scotland
view details
I know Glasgow means something to you
John Shaw

Birth 16 Jun 1881 in 49 Dean Street, Blackfriars, Glasgow, Scotland
Death 28.12.1952 in 143 Balameney Road, Kirkcaldy, Fife, Scotland
Married
Jeanie Park Crawford

Birth 05.06.1880 in 67 Princes Street, Ardrossan, Ayrshire, Scotland
Death 8 Apr 1944 in Kircaldy, Fife, Scotland

Ellen
“He that has no fools, knaves, nor beggars in his family, was begot by a flash of lightning.” Thomas Fuller
john kean
Settling In
Settling In

Post by john kean »

Ian,

some more information gleaned over the weekend from West Kilbride.

Ms Pierce of Yonderfield estate in WK was a local (and extremely wealthy) land owner who actually controlled and worked the home farm of Yonderfield.

In addition to the Yonderfield estate, she owned Carlung Estate, Brisbane Estates, most of the land that WK stands on, the Seamill Hydro and all the farms on the various estates. In fact the land that Seamill Golf Club stands on was also owned by her.

I remember her as quite a character - she obviously loved the land and worked the home farm personally, including delivering milk to the villagers, and was always dressed in an old trench coat tied with string, a head scarf and wellington boots. Quite a character, and held in great respect by the people of WK). As was always the case in the old days, the feu duty for your property and land was due to the land owner (ie; in this case, Ms Pierce).

As stated, she also owned Carlung estate and Mr Howie & his family rented the farm from her.

I have determined that one of the families who worked on the Carlung farm was called Middleton. (Dougie Middleton, one of the sons and now in his seventies still lives in WK).

On her death, some of the land (including Drumilling farm in WK and the Seamill Hydro was willed to her factor (he was always known as Ozzie - no more details). I know that Ozzie's sons ran the Hydro for a number of years and that its now run by some of their family.

The rest of the estates was apparently willed to relations of Ms Pierce somewhere overseas (I beliueve Canada, but I am unsure if the location is correct).

Thats all for now Ian. When I dig out more information then I will advise.

PP> The names Cameron or Russell and even Lady Barr are unknown to the people I have spoken to. Of course, thats not to say that they dont exist, just that memories fade over the years.

Regards,

John.
harrysteell
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by harrysteell »

Hi all I worked at yonderfield and Carlung farms, in the early 1960's, I was always under the impression that it was John Wardrope who was the main farmer,there was always a gang of Irish potato pickers came over for the summer, they all stayed in a bothy near the Yonderfield farm, there gangerman was Pat Graham from Ireland, thats all I know to the best of my ability,
regards Harry.