Shanks of Harbour st 1800-182?

For those researching family in the three towns area.
cptshank
New Poster
New Poster

Shanks of Harbour st 1800-182?

Post by cptshank »

I have found this site a great source for information, from an inscription in a family bible listing Saltcoats as place of residence I have been able to track down some censes data about my relatives, and the street they lived on (Shanks, Harbour St, 1819-18??). I have two questions if anyone can help.
The bible inscription mentioned Craigview cottage but I don't see it mentioned in any of the posts, is there another place I could look for more details?
Aside from the cense data is there another source I can look to for more family details?
Any help appreciated,
Cheers
Scott
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Shanks of Harbour st 1800-182?

Post by sweet caroline »

Hi cptshank,
If your looking to go back further ,then "Scotlandspeople" is the official site.
Familysearch is free site as is "Hughwallis". A lot depends on whether they were bapts.
I'd start with deaths of those you know of from "Scotlandspeople" ,but records only start 1855 on deaths.
“He that has no fools, knaves, nor beggars in his family, was begot by a flash of lightning.” Thomas Fuller
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Cptshank,

I delayed in responding to this post comfortable in the knowledge that Sweet Caroline would be sure to come in and offer you genealogical advice and as ever, willing to help, she has.

I'm unaware whether or not you are local to the Threetowns or living locally so please excuse me if your are already aware of the following information.

I recalled reading something in which the surname SHANKS was mentioned relative to the Harbour Street/Quay Street/Braes area of Saltcoats and now, thanks to Google, I've tracked it down.

You will note that a Shanks family would appear to have had an interest in a shipbuilding yard at The Braes. Harbour Street is adjacent to The Braes. There may be a connection? It wouldn't be outrageous either to think that a former cottage in Harbour Street might be called 'CRAIGVIEW' as houses, certainly on one side of this street, would command an excellent VIEW of Ailsa CRAIG.

http://ardrossanships.com/happenings/single?id=8461" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
cptshank
New Poster
New Poster

Post by cptshank »

Thank you very much for the leads.
I currently reside in Canada so any local information is great to get.
So far I'm back to James Shanks shown on the 1819 Saltcoats censes, and can trace my grandfathers back to him, it's been fun and exciting to learn of our attachment to the town. I'll keep looking, if you think of any thing else please let me know.

Best Regards
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

PT'
I held back hoping someone else would come in. :lol:

cptshanks.Have you James Shank's and Jean Ferguson's marriage details from Scotlandspeople,may give other info.
28.1.1793 Stevenston.

A Mrs Shanks in Saltcoats died 13.1.1833
Helen Shanks in Saltcoats died 30.9.1832
2 children lost 1801,1805
See Headstones in Home page
James Shanks was a Carpenter
“He that has no fools, knaves, nor beggars in his family, was begot by a flash of lightning.” Thomas Fuller
cptshank
New Poster
New Poster

Post by cptshank »

Hi Sweet Caroline,

I will get the marriage details from Scotlandspeople, I'm glad you recommended that site as I don't know which site's will be helpfull.
It's been fun learning about the three towns and their history.

Thanks again for replying, I check this forum hoping to get more news and it's great to get info from you and PT.

Cheers
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Scott - are you a relative of the Shanks family (one of the sons was called Bobby I remember) who used to live in Ardrossan - ST Margaret's Road I think. That would have been back late 60s early 70s.

Meg
Jim McCreadie
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Jim McCreadie »

That's right Meg, Bobby Shanks used to "run" with the Motor Cycle club of the Melbourne Cafe. He was tall, thin and had black hair.

Jim
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Jim McCreadie wrote:That's right Meg, Bobby Shanks used to "run" with the Motor Cycle club of the Melbourne Cafe. He was tall, thin and had black hair. Jim
Did he also have an older brother Jim? They lived in St Margaret's Road opposite Lairds Weir graveyard I think - I worked in the Melbourne at weekends during 1968 and I think that was about the time they were graduating from the cafe to the pub :)

Meg
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Georgersweir made a post - TWO RESCUES - earlier this year where a William (Billy) Shanks, then living in Montgomerie Street, is mentioned.

Meg, I don't remember (which is not unusual these days) a SHANKS family at that location in St. Margaret's Road but I remember the ROE twins (sisters) did and one of them married a SHANKS. I think they live on Eglinton Road now.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

I remember now - it was Irene Roe wasn't it. I had a memory of one of the Shanks boys with a stripped down old AJS outside the Roe's house - silly things that stick in your mind isn't it:-) Thanks PT.

Meg
Jim McCreadie
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Jim McCreadie »

Meg
I don't recall an elder brother to Bobby but the AJS sounds familiar. If memory serves me correctly, both Bobby and Bruce Bain rode AJs while Bruce's younger brother (Ian I think) rode a BSA. There was also a Kilwinkie guy named Martin who rode a shaft-drive - it was immaculate.

Jim