Help Finding

For those researching family in the three towns area.
DougB
New Poster
New Poster

Help Finding

Post by DougB »

My Family the Buchanan's migrated to Australia around 1850's and have been unable to find what ship they came on would like to do so.As to further history have traced Family back to 1700's and have reached apoint where anywhere I look want payment my concern with this that I paid once and it was gone in 10 mins and found nothing.I would appreciate if anyone can give me free sites to do all this
Life was not meant to be easy-Trying finding Family History
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Hi Doug,
Welcome to threetowners. From my experience there'd be little chance of tracing the ship in question at the Scottish end. It's been some years since I did an incoming passenger search here in Australia but I did once do a manual search of the incoming passenger lists on film here in Melbourne. I had the probable year of arrival in the 1890s and eventually found what ship they came on. But it was a hard slog and that was only for Melbourne arrivals. Perhaps things have now got easier. The best bet is to check with local Australian Genealogical Societies as to what incoming passenger lists are now available.

I also had success finding ancestors who came to South Australia from Scotland in 1854. That was just a matter of writing to the South Australian Maritime Museum, they sent me a photocopy of the arrival details; ship, names, ages etc.. at that time there was no cost involved.

What part of Scotland did they live in?
DougB
New Poster
New Poster

Post by DougB »

Thank you Hewmac will try it all
Life was not meant to be easy-Trying finding Family History

Post by Guest »

Apologies Hugh for not answering before just missed it where yopu ask where we are from West Lothian