Saltcoats Victoria

For those researching family in the three towns area.
terrytk
New Poster
New Poster

Saltcoats Victoria

Post by terrytk »

Hi just joined the site and looking for info on the Scot. Junior Cup winning side,circa,1927/28.My grandfather was manager of the Vics when they won the cup after I think,two replay's, his name,as mine,Terry Keegans. I would love any info. or photos. terrytk.
Catherine Belle
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Saltcoats Victoria

Post by Catherine Belle »

Hi Terry. Welcome aboard! :D I'm moving your post.
Hope you don't mind but I think you'd be better served if your post was in the "Family Research and Geneology" forum, Trust me, more folk will view it there and maybe some will come up with responses to your requests... :wink:

Here's hoping, Catherine
Be kind. Everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Hi Terry,

Some six years ago when we were an e-mailing group, Jean (Park) Kelly in Canada posted the photo below.
She said it was in postcard format and the only names legible on the back to the naked eye were R. Duff, ? Mckensie, ? McGinn and G. Nicol.
SaltcoatsVics1924-25.jpg
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Terry,

I trust you know about this:

http://ssa.nls.uk/film.cfm?fid=0577" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
Milda
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Milda »

Hello Terry,are you the same Terry who worked with me in the co-op gents in Ardrossan many moons ago? Milda
BobbG

Post by BobbG »

Hello Terry,

sorry I have no information on this Vic's team.However I think we are related.My grandfather was William Keegans (Bill) born October 19, 1894.He would be your grandfather Terry's younger brother.I have been doing a bit of family history on our branch of the Keegans family and I don't mind sharing it with you.do you have any old family photo's?

regards BobG
terrytk
New Poster
New Poster

Post by terrytk »

Hi Bob,thanks for getting in touch through 3twnrs site,we are obviously related.I did'nt know my granda (Terry) very well as he died when i was only around 6 or 7 yrs old. My brother Bob,who is still in Saltcoats, still has lots of family photos etc.I have some early photos of myself and family but nothing beyond that,it would be nice to have other info on Keegans "folk lore". Keep in touch via the site,regards. T.
martiboy
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by martiboy »

My Great uncle Willie Murray apparently played fort the Vics and possibly in that final. M
martinjmurray
George Ardrossan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by George Ardrossan »

I have borrowed a book called The Juniors - 100 Years and sub-titled A Centenary History of Scottish Junior Football. The authors are David McGlone and Bill McLure who target Junior football between 1886 and 1986.

The photo shown above of Saltcoats Victoria with the Scottish Junior Cup in 1925 is also in the book and fortunately has names listed.
The men are:
back row - M Barr, McDonald, Thomson, D M Ginn, McMinn, Berryman, J McLelland, Monday, C Nichol
fron row - Duff, T Keegans, O'Donnal, W McLelland, McKenzie, J Rainey (trainer)

The book also has an interesting snippet on the Vics:
Prior to the 1925 Final between Saltcoats Vics and St Anthony's, Vics had played ten matches in fourteen days and five of them in six days before the final. The match went to a second replay with 45 minutes extra time after the first replay before Vics won 2-1. 6000 passed through the 'Buroo' gate at the second replay. It was noted that 'we may not have seen the end of this long drawn out final'. St Anthony's, it was said, were to lodge a protest against Vics' outside left, whom, they said, had committed a Juvenile offence. Nothing came of the protest. It is interesting to see that Vics' profit for the year was £208 7s 4d , their 33 players costing £121 to sign. Vics' centre-half Mathieson signed for Kilmarnock on 13 June. He was the fourth centre-half to go senior from Vics that season.

George
wellparkno9
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by wellparkno9 »

Can any one tell me if Jock Mathison played in the final.He is not in any of the photos.I remember my father telling me he refused to go in the photos unless he got paid.dont know if thats right or not.here is an other photo with more people in but still no Jock.
old pc 105.jpg
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

wellparkno9 wrote:Can any one tell me if Jock Mathison played in the final.He is not in any of the photos.I remember my father telling me he refused to go in the photos unless he got paid.dont know if thats right or not.
Wellpark,

Seeing a reference to the Saltcoats Vics full-back BERRYMAN in an American newspaper, brought me back round to this topic where I see no one answered your question.

The Monday 25/5/1925 edition of the Glasgow Herald reports on the first match at Firhill, Glasgow, on the preceding Saturday and lists the Vics team as - McMinn, McGinn, Berryman, O'Donnell, Mathieson, W McLellan, Barr, J McLellan, Thomson, Brunton and Monday.

The Monday 1/6/1925 edition of the paper, which I would have expected to report on the replay from the preceding Saturday, seems to ignore the fixture, perhaps because it was played at Love Street, Paisley, as opposed to a Glasgow venue.

And then the Monday 8/6/1925 edition reports on the second replay at Firhill, Glasgow, and lists the team on the preceding Saturday as - McMinn, McGinn, Berryman, O'Donnell, Mathieson, W McLellan, McKenzie, J McLellan, Barr, Brunton and McDonald.

This suggests that your Jock Mathieson played in at least two of the three matches and certainly the one in which the Cup was won, entitling him to be in both of the foregoing photographs which you suggest from personal knowledge he isn't!
Last edited by Penny Tray on Thu May 21, 2015 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
wellparkno9
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by wellparkno9 »

PT.I just remember my father saying Jock played in the final but refused to go in the photo.