Newmilns c 1900 - advice sought on location of family home

For those researching family in the three towns area.
A Whiteford
New Poster
New Poster

Newmilns c 1900 - advice sought on location of family home

Post by A Whiteford »

I have listed a photo of a postcard of Newmilns in the early 20th C to the following site:
http://photos.groups.yahoo.com/group/uk ... d_scotland.

You access the site (probably need to join Yahoo Group uk_north_and_scotland), then select photos in the menu on the left hand side. The Newmilns postcard is at the bottom of the photo list.

The postcard was sent by my gg grandmother and shows Newmilns. There is a line drawn on the right hand side to a house, which is supposed to be the Morton family home. My ggg grandmother was a Jean/Jane Wylie who was born in Stewarton Ayrshire in 1822. Her mother was Jean Morton, daughter of George Morton of "Skylahill" Ayrshire.

I would be very appreciative if people could have a look at the photo and see if they can identify the home, it's location, whether it still exists and/or what its address might have been so I can check land records.

Any comments much appreciated.

Thanks all

Anne Whiteford
martiboy
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

newnmilns

Post by martiboy »

Newmilns is closer to KIlmarnock than the three twons. Stewarton is also close to Kilmarnock. There is a Morton Road in Stewarton so they were monied. Newmilns was a mill town and the Mortons ran mills there until recntly 1980's. I'll look at picture as I've been helped by people at Accrington when I was trying to do similar. M
martinjmurray
martiboy
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Picture

Post by martiboy »

Sorry can't get any response on picture. Can you send it to martinjmurray77@hotmail.com and I'll look at it. I'm originally from the Kilmarnock area and was a postman rounfd there. M
martinjmurray