Queen of the Sea Question

For those researching family in the three towns area.
jabaill
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

Post by jabaill »

Does anyone know if there is a list somewhere of winners, etc of Queen of the Sea. I just got a copy of my birth mother's obituary and it says she was named Queen of the Sea, but doesn't give a year. She was born in 1920 and left Saltcoats in 1937, so that should narrow it down. Her name at that time was Jessie Davidson Allan. I am hoping to find a picture somewhere. Appreciate any advice!

Thanks, Judy
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Hi Judy,
Nice to get your post, I hope the following is helpful.
In 2000 Lindsay Shorts in Saltcoats was involved in the research and revamp that year of the Sea Queen pagent. He sent me the following list of Sea Queen names. If this list below is correct then perhaps she was one of the Queen's attendants.

I'd imagine there would be photographs and names mentioned in the Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald - A & S Herald is on film at Ardrossan Library.
The Queen and her attendants were selected in rotation from the four local schools: Ardrossan Academy, Saltcoats Public, St. Mary's and Kyleshill; the only stipulation being that pupils taking part had to be resident in Saltcoats. The ceremony ceased after 1935, although it was revived during the fifties, continuing until 1963.
THE SEA QUEENS

1928 NETTA DUFF
1929 JENNY REID
1930 JEAN JACKCON
1931 SADIE McLELLEND
1932 NETTA ORR
1933 ANNIE HARPER
1934 NONE (AYRSHIRE PAGEANT)
1935 MARY WILSON

NONE FOR 15 YEARS

1950 MATILDA McAVOY
1951 MOIRA MCGUIRE
1952 CLARA LAMBIE
1953 ISOBEL SPEIRS
1954 ALISON ELLIOT
1955 PATRICIA HANLON
1956 AUREEN ENDERSON
1957 RUBY SODEN
1958 MARGARET IRVINE
1959 MARGARET REID
1960 SYLVIA GILL
1961 CAROLANN HAMILTON
1962 BEATRICE CLENNELL
1963 MARY THERESA MILLER

2000 HAZEL McMASTER

At that time Lindsay also sent the following photograph.
SaltcoatsBqueensID.jpg
Last edited by Hughie on Sat May 17, 2008 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
harrysteell
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

queen of the sea question

Post by harrysteell »

Hi, I think they used to keep a lot of the sea queens Information at the Ardrossan Academy, as if I remember right the procession started at the school grounds, Hughie Mac. you might remember this, as at one time they used to use jock Howies horse in the parade with the queen, I can remember hughies relly. (wee Fearless leading the parade out side the Academy gates I think its called Sorby Road, well he was really proud on that day, he had a kilt on and a white wash brush for his sporren he was great, hughie can you remember when that was, I cant remember the date but the day is very clear as I lead the old horse with Jock Howie from the stable in the lane behind glasgow st. he had the horse all done up in rossetts and ribbons and we took him up to the school play ground for the parade, Hope some of this might help, Harry.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Re: queen of the sea question

Post by Hughie »

harrysteell wrote:I can remember hughies relly. (wee Fearless leading the parade out side the Academy gates I think its called Sorby Road, well he was really proud on that day, he had a kilt on and a white wash brush for his sporren he was great, hughie can you remember when that was
Sorry Harry don't recall that one, But wouldn't that have made a classic photo with wee fearless leading the parade :lol: as I've said elsewhere my late brother Jim was married to fearless' lovely youngest daughter Susan who went to the Academy.
harrysteell
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

queen of the sea question

Post by harrysteell »

HI, Hughie, your right about that, it would have been a classic for the family album, it might have been 1958 or 1959, I would be about twelve or thirteen, when was it you left for down under, I left about 1967, yes hughie he had the big wallop white was brush tied around the very long kilt, he was a gem, regards Harry.
Hev

Re: Queen of the Sea Question

Post by Hev »

My mum was Queen of the Sea in 1962 - Beatrice Clennell...does anyone remember her?
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

I see that the Sea Queen ceremony has been taking place this weekend, so I thought this would be a good moment, and here the most suitable place, to add for anyone's future interest, detailed lists I have of all the participants in the 1956 and 1960 Sea Queen ceremonies.

They come from pieces about it which appeared in the school magazine of Ardrossan Academy , whose turn it was to put on the show in those years.

It should by the dates have been their turn again in 1964, but according to the list posted earlier in this topic, that was the year when the event finished for the time being, not to be resumed for many years . Hope it wasn't the Academy's defection that put a stop to the tradition...

1956: this also includes a picture of Aureen Anderson who was Sea Queen that year:
Sea  Queen 1956.jpg
On Saturday, June 30th, the Burgh of Saltcoats holds the annual ceremony of Crowning the Sea Queen. This year , as in 1952, it is again the lot of Ardrossan Academy to select the Queen and her retinue from the senior pupils who are resident in Saltcoats. The choice for Queen Elect is Aureen Anderson of Form V,and her attendants, drawn from Forms III, IV, V and VI, are: -E.Porter, A.Westwater, R.Hadden, M.Kerr, K.Kennedy, C.Baillie, S.Irvine, and C.Lyons.

The young men supporting these ladies are D.Adair and C.Wilder, as First and Second Lords; I.Knox as Queen's Champion; W.Roy as Queen's Commissioner; Crown Bearer and Sceptre Bearer are J.Brown and J.Sproat; R.England and J.Reid are Heralds; I.Miller and I.McNeillie , Trumpeters; D.Aitken and R.Gill, Equerries; R.Haley and J.Phillips, Halberdiers; while A.McMillan and A Buchanan are Queen's Pages.

Three of the more unusual characters are the Abbot of Kilwinning( E. Dowswell ), the Town Drummer (J.Kirk ), and Father Neptune ( S. McLachlan ). Flower girls from Forms I and II will complete what is expected to be an interesting and beautiful pageant.

1960:

This year, the Queen of the Sea celebrations will take place on the 11th of June. The Queen, chosen from the Primary department of Ardrossan Academy, is Miss Sylvia Gill from 74 Sharphill Road, Saltcoats. Her retinue is also chosen from Ardrossan Academy and though it is impossible to include a full list of those taking part we are able to mention the main office-bearers.The four Ladies in Waiting are Janice McCulloch, Susanne Combe, Doreen Flinn and Evelyn Mitchell, while James Fullarton takes the part of the Queen's Commissioner, and Raymond Farrell the Queen's Champion.

The Drummer is Thomas Howe and Neptune is William Auld. The abbot of Kilwinning, the Sceptre Bearer, and the Crown Bearer are played by William Parker, Matthew Norrie and Frank Behan respectively. The four Maids of Honour are Maureen Auld, Marion Welsh, Janette Rankin and Maureen Gibson. Also taking part are two Lords, two Halberdiers, two Trumpeters, two Equerries, two Heralds,and several flower girls.

As in previous years the Queen's carriage and retinue are setiing off at 2.30 pm. followed by the usual procession of gay and colourful floats which will pass through the streets of Saltcoats, arriving at the Beach Pavilion, where, at 4 pm, the crowning ceremony, performed by last year's Queen, Miss Margaret Reid of St Mary's School, Saltcoats, will take place.

Susan
Retsum
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Retsum »

Are we sure the 1956 Sea Queen was Aureen Anderson (in the list she appears as Aureen Enderson), I am almost certain she was Maureen Anderson - she was in my class at the Academy. The 2000 Sea Queen - Hazel McMaster - is my niece.
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

The Academy magazine has been known to make the odd mistake Graham, but it does seems a bit unlikely that they and whoever was noting down the names for the reunion picture earlier got it wrong....

Meanwhile, here's another Sea Queen picture, which Margaret ( Maggie T ) has sent me to post on her behalf. It shows the 1951 Queen, Moira McGuire, descending from the stage after her crowning, along with some of her retinue.
Sea Queen 1951.jpg
Several of Margaret's family were taking part that year; her two little twin sisters were both flower girls, and one of them is in the picture.So too is Margaret's cousin Sam Taylor ( not to be confused with our own Wellpark No9, also Sam Taylor of course ! ), who was a page boy . And I'm told there are also some others in the photo who grew up to be well-known local figures .

So I'll now leave Margaret...or maybe her brother Sam if he gets there first...! to point everyone out.

Susan
wellparkno9
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by wellparkno9 »

Susan, I'll leave it to oor Margaret,they are all too old for me,Sam.
maggie T
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by maggie T »

Hi,I can name 6 people here Susan.
Older Boy coming down stairs is John McLaughlin.Then its Sam Taylor ,Far left is Terry McCreadie ? then its Daniel Hainy.wee girl sitting is Margaret Grimly,Then our wee Elizabeth flower girl standing just the left of Moria.Page boy right behind think its the boy Millar.but no sure ,cant bring his name to mind just now .Who Knows someone might remember.
Margaret.
wellparkno9
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by wellparkno9 »

Maggie T, Is there not a boy Pettigrew in it too,on the far left.