J mccallum saltcoats abt 1900-1985

For those researching family in the three towns area.
donnascoty
New Poster
New Poster

J mccallum saltcoats abt 1900-1985

Post by donnascoty »

I am trying to contact relatives of Jock/James & Isabel (Logue)Mccallum ..They arrived in Gladsby from scotland in 1926 they had with them their two sons Mathew and John ...And later while in kings corner their other two sons Frank and Tommy were born ...Jock and Isabel took up farming at kings corner. the boys all attended the westwoods school ...They all returned to scotland in 1935 but only Isabel and boys returned to Alberta in 1937 .... Please if you know anything email me! I am going crazy looking for links, info on my papa(Jock) & his family :(( donnascoty@hotmail.com
thankyou so much donna mccallum scotland :)) :D
donnascoty
New Poster
New Poster

help plz

Post by donnascoty »

Anybody know anything about J McCallum ? My cousins (Jocks grandaughters) are still in saltcoats living with families of their own :D there surname is Watt. I'd be gratefull if anyone knows my papa's brothers they also lived in saltcoats or nearby all their lives. i am trying to find my family tree :cry: thankyou very much :roll:
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

donnascoty wrote:I'd be gratefull if anyone knows my papa's brothers they also lived in saltcoats or nearby all their lives. i am trying to find my family tree :cry: thankyou very much :roll:
Hi Donna,

Have you had a look at my McCallum family research pages at : http://home.iprimus.com.au/jmccallum/ ? There are McCallum families listed there even though they may be unrelated to mine. Have a look at the "Surnames" page and the "Census" page. My grandfather was also a James McCallum and he was born in Quay Street Saltcoats in 1887.

Do you have the birth or marriage certificate for your James? Any of those will tell you who his parents were, from that you'd be able to trace any others born to that couple.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Hi Donna,

I'm told this is the family that interests you so I hope the following is helpful. I was interested in this McCallum family initially because they along with my McCallum family were living at 88 Raises Street Saltcoats during the 1891 census. Turned out there is no connection, though in later years my father's sister Annie married a McCallum from this same family.

1. John McCALLUM was born 1809 in Paisley, Scotland. He married Elizabeth BARBOUR.

Children of John McCALLUM and Elizabeth BARBOUR are:
2. i. John McCALLUM, b. 1836, Ardrossan, Ayrshire.
3. ii. Francis McCALLUM, b. 1838, Ardrossan, Ayrshire.
iii. Alexander McCALLUM, b. 1840, Ardrossan, Ayrshire.
iv. Margaret McCALLUM, b. 1843, West Kilbride, Ayrshire.
v. Robert McCALLUM, b. 1845, West Kilbride, Ayrshire.
vi. Catherine McCALLUM, b. 1847, West Kilbride, Ayrshire.
vii. James McCALLUM, b. 1850, West Kilbride, Ayrshire.

Generation No. 2
2. John McCALLUM was born 1836 in Ardrossan, Ayrshire. He married Helen TAYLOR December 06, 1859 in Ardrossan, Ayrshire.

Children of John McCALLUM and Helen TAYLOR are:
i. Catherine McCALLUM, b. February 18, 1860, Ardrossan, Ayrshire.
ii. Alexander McCALLUM, b. April 23, 1861, Ardrossan, Ayrshire.
iii. Elizabeth Barbour McCALLUM, b. November 23, 1862, Ardrossan, Ayrshire.
iv. John McCALLUM, b. January 15, 1864, Ardrossan, Ayrshire; d. July 17, 19373; m. Margaret THOMSON.
v. James Stevens McCALLUM, b. November 10, 1865, Ardrossan, Ayrshire; d. January 04, 19525; m. Annie H S.
vi. Robert McCALLUM, b. September 09, 1867, Ardrossan, Ayrshire.
vii. William McCALLUM, b. April 17, 1869, Ardrossan, Ayrshire; d. March 05, 19208; m. Elizabeth HARVIE.
viii. Alexander McCALLUM, b. July 17, 1871, Ardrossan, Ayrshire9; d. June 11, 1934, Entry No 37 Old Ardrossan10; m. Mary HARVIE.
ix. Elizabeth Barbour McCALLUM, b. February 14, 1873, Stevenston, Ayrshire.
x. Andrew McCALLUM, b. 1875, Stevenston, Ayrshire; d. June 21, 1959; m. Ann HOGG.
xi. Francis McCALLUM, b. 1877, Saltcoats, Ayrshire.
xii. David McCALLUM, b. 1879, Saltcoats, Ayrshire.
xiii. Mathew McCALLUM, b. 1881, Saltcoats, Ayrshire; m. Marion STEVENSON, April 25, 1913, Ardrossan, Saltcoats, Ayrshire.
xiv. Elizabeth McCALLUM, b. 1884, Saltcoats, Ayrshire.

3. Francis McCALLUM was born 1838 in Ardrossan, Ayrshire. He married Margaret NEIL November 26, 1861 in West Kilbride, Ayrshire.

Children of Francis McCALLUM and Margaret NEIL are:
i. Alexander McCALLUM, b. June 04, 1862, West Kilbride, Ayrshire.
ii. Jane Caldwell McCALLUM, b. February 09, 1864, West Kilbride, Ayrshire.
iii. Elisabeth Barbour McCALLUM, b. December 29, 1865, West Kilbride, Ayrshire.
iv. Francis Neil McCALLUM, b. December 29, 1865, West Kilbride, Ayrshire.
v. Agnes Neil McCALLUM, b. January 27, 1868, West Kilbride, Ayrshire.
vi. Jane Caldwell McCALLUM, b. September 11, 1870, West Kilbride, Ayrshire.
vii. Francis McCALLUM, b. February 12, 1873, West Kilbride, Ayrshire.

Sources:
1. 1851 Census West Kilbride, Ayrshire
2. IGI (International genealogical Index)
3. 1881 census Saltcoats, Ayrshire (Ardrossan film)
4. 1891 Census Saltcoats, Ayrshire (Ardrossan film)
5. Headstones Ardrossan, Ayrshire

Anna Verner also a member here is interested in this family her site is here Sadly Anna, has since past away. She was the sister of member Elvis1931.
Last edited by Hughie on Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: The passing of Anna Verner
donnascoty
New Poster
New Poster

Post by donnascoty »

hello ,
i just wanted to say thankyou so much with your kind response :D this is a msg i got the other day & its the mccallum family ive been looking for :

Hi, If your grandfather was Jock McCallum from Union St.,the father of Ethel & Jim,He had one brother ,Frank born 3/12/1905.and two sisters
Eva 4/4/1903 Lillian16/3/1908.He also had seven other half brothers and sisters.Joseph14/11/1913,Matthew 12/8/1921,William 17/3/1926.
Helen16/5/1915,Elizabeth,1/2/1917.Two others were still born.Jock went to Canada in 1926 with his step sister Annie Wilson.As far as I know Jock was married at least twice but I dont have any information regarding any marriges in Canada or any info. about any offspring he may have had over there.My wifes mother was Helen McCallum,(married name Bain )jocks sister ,Ethel and Jim were my wifes cousins Hope this helps you a wee bit.Regards Sam.

hopefully this can help me find my family tree. Ive got info on my papa (Jock) going to canada to farm from 1926 - 1935.
thankyou very much regards donna x

Post by Guest »

Hughie,

That's my McCallums.....well as best I can trace anyway.

John McCallum Snr (who married Elizabeth Barbour), who died on 31st May 1881 at Montgomery Lane, Ardrossan has the same parents names detailed on his death certificate as my 4XGreat Grandmother, Catherine McCallum, wife of John Ballantine who died in 1862 at Cowroading, Stevenston.

The parents are detailed as John McCallum/McAllum and Katharin Wilkie. Their banns were read on 29th November 1794 in Abbey, Paisley. Unfortunately the OPR gives no extra details.

A parent search on the IGI also gives two other children born to John & Katherin in 1809, Barbara & Elizabeth. I've found no further info on them at present.

If anyone has anymore information on this family that'd be great.

Best wishes
Donna :wink:
x
hahaya2004
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by hahaya2004 »

Hi Donna,
John McCallum and Elizabeth Barbour were my 3x Grandparents. I haven't found out much about John & Catherine except John was a handloom weaver and probably lived in West Kilbride with John & Elizabeth in his old age. I haven't worked on the family tree for ages, but I intend to start again, especially now that I can definitely link "your " Catherine to John and maybe find out more about Barbara and Elizabeth (as yet unknown to me). Thanks for the information..... :D

Take care.....Irene :wink:
The most important hour is always the present, the most significant person is the one opposite you right now, and the most necessary deed is always love. - Meister Eckhart (c.1260 - c.1328)

Post by Guest »

Hi Irene,

I suppose that makes us cousins of sorts! :D

If you'd like copies of the certs that I have relating to the McCallums then PM me and I'll email them off to you.

From the info I have John was never with his daughter Catherine.....well not at census time anyway. Based on Catherine's DC and census entries she was born circa 1796 in Paisley. When she died in 1862 both parents are listed as deceased.

I'm meant to be studying but now I want to start digging again!

Best wishes
Donna :wink:
x
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Re: J mccallum saltcoats abt 1900-1985

Post by Hughie »

These three quoted posts have been copied from the originals in the topic Just Joined? Please Introduce Yourself
Craig McCallum wrote:Hi Hugh,
My name is Craig McCallum, my dad is David McCallum. My dad was born in Canal Street, Saltcoats, his mother was Annie McCallum (nee McCallum bizarrely!) his father was William, think you might have him as David in your generation section. My mum was Agnes McCallum (nee Cunningham) from Union Street/Gurthrie Brae in Saltcoats. I know we are related because my dad talks of you often. It would be good to catch up sometime and get you up to speed on my small part of this huge family of ours.
Kindest regards,
Craig
Hughie wrote:Hi Craig,A warm welcome to you, nice to meet you! :) I've corrected your grandfather's name on the site, thanks for that.

Aunty Annie McCallum lived in McKillop Place in Saltcoats, during her latter years she'd sit at the window and wave to everyone passing. She had a wee sign hanging above her front door naming her house "Muffin Cottage". In her younger days she was a regular singer at The Douglas in Stevenston. I've a very vague memory of her husband William who I believe was a plasterer coming to our house. In the early stages of my research (a long time ago) I thought both McCallum families were related because they lived at the same address in Raise Street, Saltcoats.

You'll be able to see others in this topic who are related to Annie's husband's family. Feel free to resurrect that topic or start another if there is anything you'd like to ask.
Craig McCallum wrote:Hi Hugh,
Yeah, that was my Gran, I was in that house often. She also had a black Labrador that she managed to train to go and get itself a biscuit (one only) out of the tin, quite amazing to watch! You are correct about my Grandad, he was indeed a plasterer and of course they were both McCallums. My dad thought that my Gran's side were actually from Ireland though, so he was really interested to find out that they had in fact originated from Scotland. My dad says hi by the way.
Kind regards,
Craig
Hi again Craig,
My ancestor Thomas McCallum who married Margaret Boyd in Kilwinning in 1858 was born in County Down according to the Censuses and certificates I have. We suspect the family like many others from the lowlands were part of the 'Plantation' into Ulster in the 1600s. You'd be amazed how many Scots families on the west coast can trace their ancestors arriving back in Scotland during and after the Irish famine.

I have a photo somewhere of your granny and I somewhere. If I find it I'll pass it on. Regards to your Dad, might catch up with you both in July when we are back. :)
Craigie ar

Re: J mccallum saltcoats abt 1900-1985

Post by Craigie ar »

Francis McCallum who was married to Margaret Neil lived at Drumilling Farm in West Kilbride. My grandmother Margaret Dunlop known as McCallum was Margaret Neil's daughter born after Frank's death. I am sure Margaret's family came from a weaving background on the Little Cumbrae. I have some photographs and lots of birth/marriage and death certificates and other info if anyone is interested
Margaret McCallum was killed by a kick from a horse in the 1910s. Her descendants still live in West Kilbride.