Diamond wedding : McDonald

For those researching family in the three towns area.
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Diamond wedding : McDonald

Post by down south »

One I overlooked when I was doing the golden weddings before. The celebration is of the diamond wedding of Mr and Mrs William McDonald of Stevenston.

Diamond wedding McDonald June 1972.jpg

Mr and Mrs William McDonald, of Stevenston, celebrated their diamond wedding anniversary on Tuesday.

The couple - Mr McDonald is 87 and Mrs McDonald is 86 - were married in Stevenston High Kirk on June 13 , 1912, by the Rev R J Kyd. They have long been associated with the High Kirk and Mr McDonald is a member of the kirk session.

They are both keen bowlers and Mr McDonald has been a member of Ardeer Bowling Club for 59 years during which he has been secretary, treasurer, honorary president and secretary of the ex-presidents' club. Mrs McDonald was the first president of Ardeer Ladies' Bowling Club.

They have lived all their lives in Stevenston and for a time Mr McDonald was in business as a coal agent in the burgh. Later he was a teacher at the commercial department of the further education centre at Ardrossan Academy for 35 years.

Mr McDonald has also been president and secretary of the Ayrshire Draughts Association for the past 15 years.

One of the guests at the celebration was Mr W H Fulton, a cousin of Mr McDonald who was groomsman at the wedding and who has travelled from Miami, Florida, to take part in the celebration.

The couple, who live at Craig View, 4 Shore Road, had two sons. Their elder son, Carrick, who was manager of the Bank of Scotland at Innerleithen, died three years ago and their younger son, Dr Alex McDonald, practises in Kilwinning.

They have received over 80 greetings cards and telegrams and several bouquets of flowers.

Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald, 16th June 1972

Susan
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Diamond wedding : McDonald

Post by sweet caroline »

I remember Dr Alex McDonald ,Almswall Rd, Surgery, nice man. :D

SC
“He that has no fools, knaves, nor beggars in his family, was begot by a flash of lightning.” Thomas Fuller