The meaning of the name Ardeer

For those researching family in the three towns area.
lukefarrugia
New Poster
New Poster

The meaning of the name Ardeer

Post by lukefarrugia »

I'm wondering if anyone may be able to tell me what the name Ardeer means, or where it comes from as I'm researching this for our own Ardeer, in Melbourne Australia. A suburb named of yours as a major Nobel Enterprises factory was built in our area at the the turn of the 20th century.

Look forward to your assistance.

Very kindly
Luke
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: The meaning of the name Ardeer

Post by bonzo »

Ard in most cases in Scottish names comes from Gaelic and means high.
Those wimin were in the nip.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Hi Luke,
In 2000 I put a question regarding Ardeer in Australia to what was at that time our threetowners emailing group. There are details that might interest you in this archived topic which I constructed when we moved to this forum format. Hope this helps.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Ardeer House, which was previously Dovecothall, was in the ownership of covenanter Patrick Warner, a minister, who, after the Battle of Bothwell Bridge in 1679, was forced to escape to Holland, of which he presumably had some prior knowledge, or connection.

This is interesting because ‘ARD,’ as correctly pointed out by ‘BONZO, is accepted in Scotland as meaning ‘HIGH, and given that this is the case, what is left is ‘EER,’ which, to the best of my knowledge means nothing in Scotland, but, and I stand to be corrected by John Donnelly who lives in The Netherlands, translates from Dutch to English as ‘HONOR’.

‘HONOR’ here is then generally accepted as meaning ‘HIGH STANDING’.

I’m wondering therefore if the name ‘ARDEER’ was intended to indicate a place of ‘HIGH STANDING,’ which it certainly would have been in the 17th century, and in later years, while remaining in the ownership of the influential Warner family.

Pure supposition!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ardeer,_North_Ayrshire
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

PT I can only applaud your knowledge . I know odds and ends. You are the knowledge :D
lukefarrugia
New Poster
New Poster

Post by lukefarrugia »

You guys are amazing!!!

Both the archived information and break down of the name.

I'm fascinated by the similarities, especially where 'Ardrossan' exists beside 'Ardeer' and with it meaning the following:

"Ardrossan (Gaelic: Àird Rosain, "headland of the deer/oxen") is a town on the North Ayrshire coast in south-western Scotland."

Uncanny in that Ardeer in Melbourne, Australia is situated against another suburb called 'Deer Park' and I was always under the impression was named such due to the deer that resided in the area and frequented by rich aristocrates form Melbourne town that would stay at the Hunt Club, to hunt the deer.

Simply fascinating.

Thank you so very much again for mostly putting my overworked brain to rest.

When next in the UK I'll make every effort to come visit your area and Ardeer :-)

Very very very kindly and humbly
Luke
lukefarrugia
New Poster
New Poster

Post by lukefarrugia »

You guys are all amazing!!!
From the archived info to jamming out the breakdown of the word Ardeer to get something that makes perfect sense.

Wonderful and intelligent bunch you are. Thank you!!

It's so fascinating how the parallels between each Ardeer are.

Ardeer in Melb/Aus is situated against another suburb called Deer Park, which I always suspected, and most probably is/was, named after the rich aristocrates that would journey the 15km from Melbourne city to hunt deer in the parklands. As mentioned in the archived info, the Hunt Club still stands. It is interesting that Ardorossan means the following:

Ardrossan (Gaelic: Àird Rosain, "headland of the deer/oxen") is a town on the North Ayrshire coast in south-western Scotland.

One wonders if it was after this that Deer Park was named, or just coincidence.

I can't wait to start researching street names and seeing what stories they have.

Thank you again for all the info and help everyone. Bloody amazing!!

I can't wait to visit the area and Ardeer when I'm in the UK next :-)

Cheers very kindly and humbly
Luke
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

Fascinating. Great detective work PT !!!!
"Words are very.... unnecessary... they can only do harm".
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

Penny Tray wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:45 pm This is interesting because ‘ARD,’ as correctly pointed out by ‘BONZO, is accepted in Scotland as meaning ‘HIGH, and given that this is the case, what is left is ‘EER,’ which, to the best of my knowledge means nothing in Scotland, but, and I stand to be corrected by John Donnelly who lives in The Netherlands, translates from Dutch to English as ‘HONOR’.

‘HONOR’ here is then generally accepted as meaning ‘HIGH STANDING’.

I’m wondering therefore if the name ‘ARDEER’ was intended to indicate a place of ‘HIGH STANDING,’ which it certainly would have been in the 17th century, and in later years, while remaining in the ownership of the influential Warner family.

Pure supposition!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ardeer,_North_Ayrshire
Hi PT,
I doubt whether the Dutch 'eer' for honour would be relevant here.
I'm pretty sure that the name Ardeer is very much older than any Dutch influences that Patrick Warner might have brought back from Holland.
We do know that Warner did call the drainage ditch he built the Master Goot, which is quite definitely the Dutch word for drainage ditch. However, I'm willing to bet that references to 'Ardeer' can be found prior to any influences introduced by Warner.
I hope we can get to the bottom of this, as a place/location so deeply ingrained in where we all come from remains a mystery.
WE CANNOT ALLOW THIS TO CONTINUE. !!! :puter Get googling you lot. - I'll be doing my bit.

A very curious JD.
hahaya2004
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by hahaya2004 »

Some more reading material:
(The Statistical Account refers to Ardeer as the only Gaelic name in the parish.)

https://archive.org/stream/b21365799_00 ... rch/Ardeer

https://archive.org/stream/newstatistic ... rch/Ardeer
The most important hour is always the present, the most significant person is the one opposite you right now, and the most necessary deed is always love. - Meister Eckhart (c.1260 - c.1328)
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

I was playing around with google translate and i can't find A Gaelic word for eer (assuming Ardeer is a Gaelic word) but if you change the spelling eir=say, ear=east and aer =air don't know if there is any relevance but it's a slow day at work :D
hahaya2004
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by hahaya2004 »

Blaeu's Atlas of Scotland 1654 doesn't show Ardeer but it shows the name Ardens. Could this be the original name perhaps?

https://maps.nls.uk/view/00000422
The most important hour is always the present, the most significant person is the one opposite you right now, and the most necessary deed is always love. - Meister Eckhart (c.1260 - c.1328)