Gray Family from Stevenston

For those researching family in the three towns area.

Gray Family from Stevenston

Post by Guest »

Hello from Canada,
My story goes like this, I am looking for possible relations of my grandmother's family ( either side ). My great grandfather was Richard Craddock Gray b 1892 and was married to Isabella Fleming Todd in 1918 in Stevenston. The family emigrated to Saskatchewan Canada in 1924 where Isabella's mother Margaret Jane Fleming had left for. Sometime after 1925 Richard left his young family to supposedly find work and was never seen or heard from his family again. I started researching my family tree about 16 years ago and could not find Richard anywhere until recently where he was found in a newspaper as being deceased in Glasgow in 1966, appears his belongs went to the Scotland Government, upon further researching, I found he married Catherine Boon in 1944 and her brother was the witness to his death, my grandmother and her siblings carried the burden of not knowing what had happened to their father after abandoning them as youngsters in a foreign country.

Richards line
Archibald Gray 1858 - 1923 ( Elizabeth Maxwell Craddock 1868 - 1901 )

Any information or a steer in the right direction would help, my email is alholmes@shaw.ca
Thank you
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Gray Family from Stevenston

Post by Penny Tray »

I trust that you have a copy of the following notice from the Edinburgh Gazette of 19 April 1968:-

"Queen's and Lord's Treasurer's Remembrancer's Office,
EDINBURGH 2.

Notice is hereby given that the estates (or parts of the estates) of the undermentioned deceased persons has fallen to the Crown as ULTIMUS HAERES:

.....RICHARD CRADDOCK GRAY, late of 28 Balveny Street, Glasgow, who died in Belvidere Hospital, Glasgow, on 20 December 1966....."

This suggests that he died with no known relatives to whom his estate could be handed down and that therefore the Crown Treasury became his final heir! Are you sure he remarried, and if so was his first marriage lawfully ended?
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

Richard Gray Burial date
22 Dec 1966,Glasgow
Cemetery
St Peter's Dalbeth Cemetery
Archive
The Scottish Catholic Archives

Born in Ayr 1892
and Isabell Fleming Todd was born Dalry

Left from Glasgow from 117 Ardeer Sq,Steveenston

SC
Last edited by sweet caroline on Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
“He that has no fools, knaves, nor beggars in his family, was begot by a flash of lightning.” Thomas Fuller
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

644/6 142
Townhead

Have you got the marr cert from Scotlandspeople

Edit-Have you his Marr cert to Isabell Fleming Todd ?

SC
“He that has no fools, knaves, nor beggars in his family, was begot by a flash of lightning.” Thomas Fuller
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

This link explains the conditions attached to 'ultimus haeres'.

http://www.qltr.gov.uk/content/ultimus-haeres
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

His arrival in Quebec states he is Presbyterian ? I believe I am reading that from your tree. :)

SC
hahaya2004
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by hahaya2004 »

Hi,
I had a look in Scotlands People and found the marriage of Richard Gray and Isabella Todd in Kilmarnock in 1919.
Hope this helps.
The most important hour is always the present, the most significant person is the one opposite you right now, and the most necessary deed is always love. - Meister Eckhart (c.1260 - c.1328)
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

Marr.31 Dec 1918
Holy Trinity Church, Kilmarnock, Ayrshire, Scotland
a Scottish Episcopal Church, comes from his grandfather Craddock ,who was English. His father was born in Newton ,Ayr. Must be wrong burial that came up on FMP.

SC
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

Might be worthwhile asking for burial details from Mitchell Library, Glasgow.

SC
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

Marleen Isabella Alice Gray
Birth23 July 1938 Canora, Saskatchewan, Canada
Death20 Nov 2009 Shellbrook, Saskatchewan, Canada
sources (1)

Tree - Al*** Holmes

SC

Post by Guest »

Hello all,

Thank you for the information, I do have the marriage between the 2 yes, also found the divorce although it is sealed and his 2nd wife pre-deceased him according to the Glasgow newspaper. When Richard left Canada to go back to Scotland is anyone's guess as all his children have passed and noone would talk about him sadly, one can only presume it wasn't a good separation for the family