Dickie Family - Stevenston

For those researching family in the three towns area.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Dickie Family - Stevenston

Post by Hughie »

Dickie Family wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:14 am
Penny Tray wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:15 am 10 JUNE 1917
CASUALTY OF WAR

Killed in Action – Lieutenant ADAM DICKIE, (26), born 26.6.1890 at Stevenston – 41st Battalion Australian Infantry – Theatre of war, France and Flanders - solicitor – home town, Augathella, Murweh, Queensland – son of Joanna D. Reid (formerly Dickie), Ballandean, Queensland, and the late John Dickie.
Hi Penny,

Adam Dickie was my Great-Uncle and his brother Robert fought together at the Battle of Messines in 1917. Sadly Adam did not return, but his brother, (my Grandfather) returned to Australia, injured. He married and raised a family of 5 children in Brisbane, Queensland. Robert never returned to his birthplace in Stevenston, but always acknowledged his proud Scottish heritage. His descendants vow to visit this special part of Scotland one day.
Thank-you for marking this significant Centenary in our family's history.
A warm welcome to your Dickie family, Adam.
Hope this leads to contact with a few cousins in the three towns.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Dickie Family - Stevenston

Post by Penny Tray »

Dear "Dickie family", thanks for that lovely response, it's appreciated. Adam's name, incidentally, if you're not already aware, in addition to where else it might be recorded, also appears on the Stevenston War Memorial.

PT
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
Dickie Family
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Dickie Family »

Thanks Penny for your response. I have seen photos of the Stevenston WW1 memorial, with Adams name inscribed. There are a also number of memorials around his adopted home in Stanthorpe and Augathella in Queensland where he enlisted to join the AIF.

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum, however we are looking for more information of the Dickie Family.

John Dickie (Baker & Inspector of the Poor in Stevenston in the late 1800's) was Adam and Robert's father, however we don't have a lot of detail of their early life in Stevenston. We understand that John died and his widow Joanna, remarried a Mr. Reid, who also predeceased Joanna. After this time, (early 1900's) Joanna emigrated to Australia with her children to Ballendean (near Warwick) in Queensland. Joanna died in Brisbane in 1941 aged 82.

Thanks,
Neil
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Neil,

Firstly, one of the moderators will move this topic I'm sure to a more appropriate location on this site. Until then a word search will give you one or two references to John Dickie in his capacity as Inspector of the Poor. Reference thereafter to the following link - the Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald Birth/Death/Marriage database - (searches free of charge after registering) - will reveal Dickie family intimations made locally.

http://www.ayrshire-roots.co.uk/ash.php

PT
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.