Giovannetti Family

For those researching family in the three towns area.
Fionamcdonald1201
Settling In
Settling In

Giovannetti Family

Post by Fionamcdonald1201 »

Hi there,

I really hope somebody can comment back. I've been tracing my family history as I have been given a snippet into my father's ancestry.

Over the Christmas holidays I have discovered that I am Louis Giovannetti's great great grand-daughter. His father I believe is Caeseri Giovannetti (I think that is how you spell it). It has been confirmed that he owned/ran the Sunset cafe in Saltcoats and lived in Douglas prior to that. The Giovannetti's originally originated from a little town called Barga aka Little Scotland (near Pisa- since the discover I am off to "sightsee" the town this May). I am also led to believe that Louis was part of the Navy - which one I do not know.

If anybody has anymore information I would be forever grateful if you could share. For me, I have no knowledge of my family history and to gain a glimpse has been fascinating.

Thank you!
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Giovannetti Family

Post by Hughie »

Very interesting, Fiona. Welcome to Threetowners !
Barga is named, "The most Scottish town in Italy
that's according to Wikipedia
I'm sure our members will be able to help you in your quest to trace your ancestry.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Fiona,

You should perhaps have a look at the Ardrossan & Saltcoats Herald, Birth/Marriage/Death database which you can access at no cost. The death of CESARE GIOVANNETTI, for example, and other family intimations feature.

http://www.ayrshire-roots.co.uk/ash.php

You should perhaps clarify too if the previous residency was DOUGLAS, ISLE OF MAN, or DOUGLAS, LANARKSHIRE. I would think the former and that may have been because, like other West of Scotland Italians, he was interned there during World War 11.

A word search of this site will also turn up mentions of the Giovannetti family and the Sunset Café.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
Fionamcdonald1201
Settling In
Settling In

Hi Penny,

Thank you for the hints and tips. I believe that it was indeed Douglas in Lanarkshire. My boyfriends family are italian and they have provided me the history of Italians moving to Scotland because of the war ans the struggle they all faced during that time. There is a strong italian bond within the hamilton/bothwell area.

Additionally I have traced registration records of Giovannetti based at Kyleshill when the records were part of the exhibition in Edinburgh last month.

I would love to gain contact with somebody on the Giovannetti family.

Many thanks,
Fiona
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Fiona,

Someone currently living in the Threetowns may be able to tell you if any of the Giovannetti family are still resident locally. There are a couple of families mentioned elsewhere in Ayrshire in the BT online telephone directory.

The Sunset Café, incidentally, was located on Kyleshill.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

Hughie wrote:Very interesting, Fiona. Welcome to Threetowners !
Barga is named, "The most Scottish town in Italy
that's according to Wikipedia
I'm sure our members will be able to help you in your quest to trace your ancestry.
I believe as many fish and chip shops from the 3 towns as could would go to Barga for an annual contest. We were there some years ago but had to leave before the contest :(
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Fionamcdonald1201 wrote: I believe that it was indeed Douglas in Lanarkshire.
Fiona,

The 22 July 1947 edition of the EDINBURGH GAZETTE reports as follows:-

NATURALIZATION

List of aliens resident in Scotland to whom Certificates of Naturalization have been granted by the Secretary of State, and whose Oaths of Allegiance have been registered in the Home Office during the month of June 1947.

The date shown in each case is the date on which the Oath of Allegiance was taken.

GIOVANNETTI: Cesare, Italy, Restaurateur, 54 Raise Street, Saltcoats - 2 June 1947.

I might be wrong but this would suggest that Cesare's status as an alien would result in him being interned during the war and the likely place for that internment would be Douglas, Isle of Man.
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

Hi
I worked in the 1970's with a man called Johnnie Giovannetti who stayed in Corrie Crescent Salt coats. He was related to the owners of the Sunset Cafe although I believed it was the Scott 's who owned it or were involved with it?? I don't know if Johnnie is still alive, or whether he or his family still stay in the area. I cant see any Giovannetti listed in the phone book as staying in the three towns, but there is one listed in Darvel and another in Irvine. Im not sure this will help you or not.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Meekan.

You've triggered something in my mind which suggests that Louis Scott and Louis Giovannetti, for whatever reason, may be one and the same person????? Hopefully, WellparkNo9 might be able to exercise his excellent local knowledge.

And could the Johnnie Giovannetti you mention hail from Sannox Drive as opposed to Corrie Crescent?
Fionamcdonald1201
Settling In
Settling In

Hi Meekan,

I think I may be able to clarify the Scott/Giovannetti names. The scotts are Giovannetti however being Italians living in the UK trying to run a steady business during the war proved to be difficult. To attempt being interned or sent back to Italy they chose the name Scott as they were living in Scotland.

And wow Penny- how fascinating! I never knew being "interned" meant that people were sent away to effectively a prison. Mind=blown!

:o
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

Penny Tray wrote:Meekan.

You've triggered something in my mind which suggests that Louis Scott and Louis Giovannetti, for whatever reason, may be one and the same person????? Hopefully, WellparkNo9 might be able to exercise his excellent local knowledge.

And could the Johnnie Giovannetti you mention hail from Sannox Drive as opposed to Corrie Crescent?
Penny
When I was knew him it was definitely Corrie Crescent he lived, picked him up a few times going to work. However he or some of his family may have stayed in Sannox Drive at some time.