Gamekeeper in West Kilbride Parish

For those researching family in the three towns area.
LizG33

Gamekeeper in West Kilbride Parish

Post by LizG33 »

One of my ancestors is described as an Under Gamekeeper at West Kilbride in his 1881 marriage record. I cannot find him in the 1881 census. Can anyone venture a guess where in the area he may have worked? Am thinking it must have been a large estate/ stately home. Thanks.
ardrossanrentboy
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Re: Gamekeeper in West Kilbride Parish

Post by ardrossanrentboy »

Carlung House just off the Largs Road on the left after the junction with Portencross Road. I used to play cricket there in the 60s. Also further down the Portincross Road to the right was the farm and lands of Miss Pearcy (?) who also owned the Hydro Hotel at Seamill ... she was very old-fashioned and still maintained teams of heavy horses long after everyone else moved to tractors.
However, gamekeepers would probably been employed to protect game birds and fishing rights so perhaps further up the road from West Kilbride towards Dalry where there are moors and dams and rivers.
Not forgetting of course the Hunter-Westons of Hunterston Castle and their outlying farmlands very close to the present Nuclear Power Reactors. They had family connections with South Ayrshire from Girvan inland through the valleys and moors and that was Shooting country for the visiting Gentry.
Was there an address for him, if it was Thirdpart he could have worked for any of the 3 I've mentioned as that was a collection of small holdings with just enough land to be self-sustaining ( instead of proper wages)?
lookee here;
http://landedfamilies.blogspot.co.uk/20 ... rlung.html
ardrossanrentboy
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

On reading the web page for that last link I posted there is a wee puzzle to me about the family McAlester ( Clan chief of the McCallesters ) listed as being of LOUP.
I know of Loup Cottage on the beach side nearly opposite Ann's Lodge site but surely the Gentry wouldn't give their address as a cottage, so was there a more substantial building with land known as Loup near to Ardrossan ?
ardrossanrentboy
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

LizG33 wrote:One of my ancestors is described as an Under Gamekeeper at West Kilbride in his 1881 marriage record. I cannot find him in the 1881 census. Can anyone venture a guess where in the area he may have worked? Am thinking it must have been a large estate/ stately home. Thanks.
Can you post all the relevant family names and dates and places ?
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

I have 11 marriages in west Kilbride 1881
Can you give a name please.Knowing his address at time of marriage ,may help.

SC
“He that has no fools, knaves, nor beggars in his family, was begot by a flash of lightning.” Thomas Fuller
LizG33

Post by LizG33 »

His name was John Miller who married Margaret Oliver Nicol on 8th December 1881 at "West Kilbride" (no further details). His usual residence is given as "West Kilbride" and hers at an address in Stirling.
VirtualHunterston
Settling In
Settling In

Post by VirtualHunterston »

There was a woman called Nicol that lived at Shore Cottage at Hunterston, she was relaied to the caretaker of west kilbride scvhool called Tait.
She died in late 1980s and would have been late 80 year old.
Not sure if it connected with what you mentioned.