iona cottage

For those researching family in the three towns area.
georgeflemingard
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

iona cottage

Post by georgeflemingard »

I am researching my family tree and i have a problem? My grandfather George Fleming who lived in Princess Lanne Ardrossan. married a girl called Isabella Storrar in 1897. Isa { as she was called} Father was Robert Storrar and he had a Pub in Ardrossan called { The Ardrossan Rest} Now the problem is George and Isabella got married at IONA COTTAGE, I suspect it was great grandfather Robert Storrars home, BUT where was it i can find no record of it.
Any hints or sugestions appreciated
Geprge Fleming
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Hi George,

The marriage certificate should tell you what Parish or District the wedding took place and also where the marriage was registered. If it was Ardrossan then I would think there's a good chance that Iona Cottage would be the name of one of those privately owned cottages beyond the Tollhouse at the bottom of Dalry Road Brae going towards West Kilbride. But as you know, at that time there were other areas of Ardrossan that had private cottages.
georgeflemingard
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Hi Hugh thanks for the information on Iona Cottage, This Cottage was definatly in Ardrossan, and it could well be one of the ones you mention. I just wonder when those cottages were built on Egington Road { the place you suggest} I have an old map of Ardrossan dated 1856 and the last house coming up Glasgow st. is approx. where Barr St. is today,So they must have been an awfull lot of building done from this date over the next 40 years. Interesting? I had a look at recollections, looks great i hope it goes well. all the best George
Deirdre
New Poster
New Poster

Re: iona cottage

Post by Deirdre »

I have just joined the threetowners (December 2016) and on going through the genealogy pages came across this query about Iona Cottage made in 2006. From a birth certificate of a relative, Margaret Cameron McCallum Lee, I see she was born at Iona Cottage, Ardrossan, on 28th August 1907. Her parents were James Lee, aerated water manufacturer, and Margaret Cameron Lee, ms Haldane. Don't know if this is of any help.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Deirdre/George,

This being the case the Ardrossan & Saltcoats Herald BMD database shows that birth at Hill Place.

http://www.ayrshire-roots.co.uk/ash.php
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
Deirdre
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Deirdre »

Hello Penny and George

I have a copy of the actual birth certificate and, under the section When and Where Born, it does say August 28th 1907 (4.15 pm), Iona Cottage, Ardrossan. Wonder why there is a difference in the BMD?

Incidentally as this was my first posting, it was nice to have such a quick response. Many thanks.

Deirdre
georgeflemingard
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Hi Deirdre,
Welcome the threetowners, a great place to be.
My Great Grand father Robert Storrar, leased Iona cottage back in the 1890. That's where my grand-father George Fleming married Robert's daughter Isabella {Isa} in 1897. Next time I am in Scotland which will be August next year, I think I should go and knock on the door and ask if I can have a look at the Garden area where I would imagine the wedding took place
I looked for the cottage for ages and finally traced it down to 31 Hill place Ardrossan. its actually a semi detached and Iona cottage is on the right hand side, although the name "Iona Cottage" has worn away over time and now is unreadable
georgeflemingard
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Just to add to my last post.
Robert Storrar who leased "Iona Cottage" died in June of 1899. So Deirdre your relative's must have bought or leased the cottage after Roberts death as I know his wife who survived him moved to Troon and lived with her daughter Elizabeth Forester, who by the way had the lease of the "Ailsa Bar" in Troon.
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

georgeflemingard wrote: Next time I am in Scotland which will be August next year, I think I should go and knock on the door and ask if I can have a look at the Garden area where I would imagine the wedding took place
We've had folk from Australia and US knocking on the door asking to have a look round their grandparents old home. Both lots were in their 50's.
JD.
Deirdre
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Deirdre »

Hello George

As Iona Cottage was in Hill Place, that would explain the difference between the birth certificate and the BMD entry - both were in fact correct. Many thanks for that info and glad to see that you had made so much progress since you first posted the query in 2006.

The Lee family may not have stayed very long at Iona Cottage as the birth of the next child in 1910 was at 153 Glasgow Road and in 1925 the grandfather, Thomas Haldane, died at 23 Hill Place, not far from Iona Cottage.

You should certainly knock on the door on your next visit to Ardrossan. Nothing to lose and should be very interesting.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Deirdre wrote:You should certainly knock on the door on your next visit to Ardrossan. Nothing to lose and should be very interesting.
Good advice, Deirdre. I remember knocking on the door of my pal's door in Stanley Road in Ardrossan while on a visit home from Oz and found one of our former neighbours from Whitlees Crescent was now the resident there.
georgeflemingard
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Hi Deirdre,
Yes I will take your advise and knock on the door of 31 hill place, as you say, nothing to loose, I'll do that when I am over in August.