Searching For McCarroll's & Craig's

For those researching family in the three towns area.
ardrossanrentboy
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Re: Searching For McCarroll's & Craig's

Post by ardrossanrentboy »

Dan Craig who had the piggery opposite the Metallic at Dalry Road, Ardrossan lived at Ann's Lodge next to Glenfoot House on the North Shore. Why was it demolished, who owns it now? Who was Dan Craig's next of kin? Glenfoot House was owned by ICI at one time.
susandoughty
New Poster
New Poster

Post by susandoughty »

Thanks for your help!
scraig72

Post by scraig72 »

Susan,
John Craig was also my great-grandfather. Peter McCarroll Craig was my grandfather, Matty's brother. The account he gave of his father's death was that he was lost at sea while working on the crew of a ship carrying dynamite made in the factory near Stevenson. Since most of the dynamite produced at that time was used in mining, it's possible John Craig was actually employed by a mining industry shipping subsidiary which would qualify Agnes and the children to live at the Miners' house in Saltcoats. However, they must have eventually lived at another address, because my grandfather also told of being sent to live with cousins in Northern Ireland during summer months so that rooms in their house (Saltcoats? Ardrossan?) could be rented out to people visiting the seashore. When I visited Pauline & Jim Greer in 1988, they showed me the Glasgow St. house where the Craig's did ham-curing (Pauline said they also sold eggs), and also a house in Saltcoats which she referred to as "Granny McCarroll's house." Perhaps Agnes and the children moved in with her mother at some point.
Anyway, this may solve the riddle of the Miners' house!