1919 Mystery

For those researching family in the three towns area.
Tom J

Re: 1919 Mystery

Post by Tom J »

sweet caroline wrote:William Sinclair (plasterer), tenant at 38 Well Park Road, (west side) Ardrossan.

1915 Valuation roll Scotlandspeople.

From your tree on Ancestry ,i can't see an ancestry connection.Hope is for someone on site to know of the Family.I think PT post could be right one .They have family connections in Canada .Pllu branch is in Ontario i believe.Connections with the Logans,and Loves of Stevenston/Saltcoats.William Scotland Pllu

Death 05 JUN 1920 in Guilph, Ontario

SC
Edit-11 Nov.1918,Canadian soldiers travelled from Glasgow to Witley Camp
Question 1 Do you know the ship they came over in ,and where it docked
Question 2 Was both addresses on the 1 piece of paper.
Nothing to say it was family related
,perhaps just new the relatives of the families in Canada ,and passing on regards.

Edit-removed proved wrong
Hi SC;
Question to you, I don't understand Pllu?
Answers for you.
Q1: He came over on the HMS SCOTIAN disembarking at Liverpool on 28 Apr 1918.
Q2: Yes, both addresses were on the same page in the diary.
Your correct my family tree doesn't show the two names I'm inquiring about. I'm beginning to see that the mystery may not be solved, but in the process I've learned more about Mary Breathat and John Mclean than I knew before I started.
PT's post makes sense but is opening up more inquiries!
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

1901 Census
Name: William Sinclair
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1874
Relationship: Head
Spouse's name : Mary Reid Sinclair -c1878 Saltcoats
Where born: Saltcoats, Ayrshire
Registration number: 615
Registration District: Stevenston
Civil Parish: Stevenston
Town: Saltcoats
County: Ayrshire
Address: 7 Gladstone Building Quay S
ED: 6

So the Pllu connection is out.
Ellen

Edit - William Sinclair 1873 Stevenston /Saltcoats,Father Peter Sinclair c1844 Paisley,Hannah Gallaher c 1845 Saltcoats
Edit- 1871 Peter states born Glasgow
Edit-spouse:Hannah GallacherNamePeter Sinclair, Event Date22 Dec 1865Event marriage:PlaceArdrossan,Ayr,Scotland
Edit-1851 Name: Peter Sinclair
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1842
Relationship: Son
Mother's Name: Margaret Sinclair -c1811Lismore, Argyleshire
Where born: Glasgow, Lanark
Parish Number: 644/1
Civil Parish: Glasgow St Paul
County: Lanarkshire
Address: 267 High Street
-----------------
Name: Agnes Sinclair
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1840
Relationship: Daughter
Mother's Name: Margaret Sinclair
---------------------
Name: Cartherine Sinclair
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1845
Relationship: Daughter
Mother's Name: Margaret Sinclair
---------------------
Edit- By the way McLean of Duart dress tartan is very nice for ladies to wear.
Edit- This may or may not be relevant -father:William Sinclairmother:Margaret ClanachanNameJames SinclairGenderMaleChristening DateChristening PlaceHIGH CHURCH, PAISLEY, RENFREW, SCOTLANDBirth Date06 May 1837BirthplaceHigh Church, Paisley, Renfrew, Scotland
“He that has no fools, knaves, nor beggars in his family, was begot by a flash of lightning.” Thomas Fuller
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

The 1920 Valuation rolls out today in Scotlandspeople still has William Sinclair (Plasterer) at the same address.

SC
“He that has no fools, knaves, nor beggars in his family, was begot by a flash of lightning.” Thomas Fuller
Tom J

Post by Tom J »

sweet caroline wrote:The 1920 Valuation rolls out today in Scotlandspeople still has William Sinclair (Plasterer) at the same address.

SC
Sweet Caroline; Thank you again for all your information. Tom J
searcher41
New Poster
New Poster

Post by searcher41 »

Sinclair and Logan
This is my family:
Sinclair, Andrew- Logan, Annie (Statutory Marriages 615/00 0025)
July 15th 1895
Andrew Sinclair 24, Painter journeyman
Residence 35 Chapelwell St. Saltcoats, Ayrshire
Parents: Peter Sinclair and Hannah Sinclair m.s. Gallacher (dec)
Ann L Logan spinster, dynamite factory cartridge worker
Residence 21 Auchenharvie Cottages
Parents: William Logan and Christina Logan m.s. Love
Witnessed by Agnes Logan and William Sinclair
registrar John Dickie July 15 1895

Andrew Sinclair died Oct 8 1953 Greenock, place of death 37 Kelly Street Greenock
Annie Love Logan died 15/3/53 Greenock
Annie's sister Agnes Logan was married to Alexander Pllu

William Logan Sinclair KIA 1918 died unmarried
I don't see a connection as to Tom's original query but find it interesting that these beautiful notes arrive almost a hundred years on. William Sinclair uncle to young William Logan Sinclair married Mary Reid Lamb and was noted on the 1901 census living at 7 Gladstone Bldg Quay Street Saltcoats and may be the link.
Linda
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

We had Pllus at St. Micks in the '60's, Margaret, my year, very smart.
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
Jim McCreadie
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Jim McCreadie »

Didn't Wee Mary Whiston's sister marry a Pllu?

Jim
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

Jim McCreadie wrote:Didn't Wee Mary Whiston's sister marry a Pllu?

Jim
Oh God...nightmare time ...wee Mary and 'Mugs' Maginness....
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

Just looked at his tree in Ancestry. Quote below taken from his tree.

On 28 March, two days prior to taking leave the CCRC paymaster at Bramshott Camp paid him £15. Every one was required to take leave prior to departing England; it was built into the demobilization program. In Russell’s Black Diary at the back of the book he writes that he took 8 days leave to Scotland from 31 March to 8 April. His father Jonathan Courtney, was born in Ireland but his mother Mary Breathat was born in Glasgow, Lanakshire, Scotland in 1870 emigrating from there in 1880. Glasgow is situated in the central part of Scotland and the current day driving distance from where he was in Bramshott, England is 463 miles or roughly 7.5 hours. The two addresses he lists in his diary are: Mrs. Wm. Sinclair, 38 Wall Park Road, Saltcoats, Scotland and Mrs. Janet McClulchen, 10 Castle St., Paisley, Scotland. Paisley is 9 miles west of Glasgow and Saltcoats is 24 miles west of Paisley. Saltcoats is located on the west coast of Scotland on the North Channel. I mention all this because, for him to take this trip there would have to be some compelling reason to travel those distances by train, which, even with the efficiency of the British Rail system likely would have taken him a whole days travel each way with many transfers. Who were these people he traveled so far to see? In all my research of our families, neither of these two names appears anywhere. My guess is they were relatives of his mother and that his mother gave him the instructions “If you get an opportunity to go visit do so”. But who were they?

Mary Breathat
Birth 3 Apr 1868 in Kilbirnie, North Ayrshire, Scotland Death 30 Dec 1945 in Toronto, York County, ON

Would have to do his full tree ,to find if a connection with Sinclair exists.

SC
searcher41
New Poster
New Poster

Post by searcher41 »

Thanks SC
I also looked at the diary through the ancestry site and will send this on to a cousin, Peter Sinclair in England, he is a descendant of Ann Love Logan and Andrew Sinclair, possibly he can shed some light. I can see by the census that that Alex Pllu and family lived at 16 Wellpark Rd. and you have accessed the 1915 val roll showing William Sinclair at 38 Wellpark Rd.

William Sinclair born May 31 1873, Saltcoats son of Peter and his wife Hannah Gallagher seems the likely William living on Wellpark Rd. in 1915. I haven't anything on William other than two children born in Saltcoats, Peter 1899 and James 1901. I don't see a death on SP for him at all.

A very interesting document to read in regards to the grandfather Russell's diary. May simply be war time acquaintances as many cousins from Saltcoats were serving at the same time. As to why he would travel into Saltcoats is the mystery and It would be nice to come up with an answer.
Linda
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

SINCLAIR Mary 12/03/1915 38 Wellpark Road, Saltcoats M Wife of Joseph Halbert KERR of Ardrossan
Also the War Death , PT posted earlier
http://www.ayrshire-roots.co.uk/vSignup/herald4.php

Edit-KERR Joseph Halbert 12/03/1915 38 Wellpark Road, Saltcoats M Husband of Mary SINCLAIR of Saltcoats

Definitely your Family,Linda
searcher41
New Poster
New Poster

Post by searcher41 »

Hi SC
There was a reply from Peter Sinclair this morning and I have pasted his reply. Also thank you for the marriage of Mary, I didn't have that so appreciate it. Accessed SP and Joseph's parents were James Currie Kerr, harbour checker (dec) and Sarah Kerr, m.s. McLaren Thanks again.
Linda

"I took a look in my tree and have a William Sinclair and his record specifically mentions that address in Well Park Road, in Saltcoats, so it would appear to be the same person. He's the brother of my great grand father, but of course there's no indication as to a connection or to why that person should have undertaken such a difficult journey in such desperate times... I don't find any links to either Breathat or Courtney. It's these little stories that bring all of this to life tho."