Photo 1915 - Ardrossan Docks Long Service Employees

For those researching family in the three towns area.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Photo 1915 - Ardrossan Docks Long Service Employees

Post by Hughie »

Came across this from an e-mail back last century - 1999. :roll: It's from the Saltcoats Museum and was forwarded by Gordon Innes - we share a connection to the local seafaring Brodie family.
ArdrossanDocksLongService1915.jpg
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Photo 1915 - Ardrossan Docks Long Service Employees

Post by sweet caroline »

Hughie ,
Great Photo

Sweet caroline
“He that has no fools, knaves, nor beggars in his family, was begot by a flash of lightning.” Thomas Fuller
Richard

Post by Richard »

Hughie:
Absolutely BRILLIANT photo. What a find!
I am researching my family tree and a large chunk of it is based in Old Ardrossan/Saltcoats.
Although none of the people in the photo are anything to do with me, (well, not that I know of), It is a great find.
Photos like that are to be protected & cherished. And the names of the individuals so clear after all these years. EXCELLENT.
I lived in Ardrossan for a number of years,(Glasgow Street mainly), in the 1980' and it was not until 2010, when I started my research on my mothers behalf that I discovered we have family history in the area just a ten minute walk from where I used to live. Even more surprising when I found that history was just a stones throw from my favourite part of Ardrossan. The area was Sorbie Road & Argyll Road.
The names I am trying to research are Murison,(David x 2,Jessie,Thomas,Charles & Mary), their domestic servants (who's names escape me at the moment but 2 are believed to have come from Ireland and a young local girl), AND anyone with the name Larsson,(possible spelling variations) and Iveson,(again,possible spelling variations).
The period of time would be from when they left Torwood, Larbert, Stirlingshire after the 1901 census, up until 1922.
The names Larsson & Iveson could, most probably, be connected with the Ardrossan Docks/Harbour areas in some way?
Any help of any sort would be gratefully received from anyone, especially on the 2 Scandinavian names and any known 'males' with those names living and/or working in the 3 towns area during that period.
Thank you's for a great site. The sites "Header Picture" makes me very home sick as I used to walk this route twice
a day, 5-7 days a week when going to work at the slaughterhouse in Saltcoats.
Keep up the GREAT work. //perfect
Richard.
hahaya2004
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by hahaya2004 »

Richard, I found David Murison, 60, Jessie his wife, 50, Mary their daughter, 21, and Nelly McDonald, servant, 19, all at 18 Sorbie Rd. at the time of the 1911 census.
As for Iveson - I found an Edward Iverson, 47, in Largs, again in the 1911 census.
The name Larsson appeared 6 times with the location "Shipping, Merchant Navy", so he was on a ship at the time of the census. If you have a first name and/or age I can try to find out which one.
Irene
The most important hour is always the present, the most significant person is the one opposite you right now, and the most necessary deed is always love. - Meister Eckhart (c.1260 - c.1328)
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

Love the photo, just looking at it you can tell the personalities..soor, dour, stubborn, mean, kindly..great stuff!
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
Richard

Post by Richard »

IRENE:
Yes, that is them. Jessie, (the mother), died just after the census and she is buried in Ardrossan along with husband
David. The 3 brothers are missing as they left for Canada to join the CEF. David was killed in WW1, Thomas barely
survived to go on and help raise a family of his own and Charles committed suicide in 1922, not long after their sister
Mary,(my great grandmother), died in Belvidere Infectious Disease hospital in Glasgow 1922. She is buried in the Eastern Necropolis in Glasgow. Nelly is the young local girl that worked for them. The previous 2 domestics were Irish &
probably sisters. Their names were Margaret & Martha Mclellan. One of them worked for the Bairds side of the family &
the other worked for the Murison side. When the Murisons moved to Saltcoats they named their house (18 Sorbie Rd) after the area in which they previously lived: Torwood in Larbert, Stirlingshire because that was Jessies homeland (she was from the Bairds of Denny/Stirlingshire).
Now for the sticky/murky part and hopefully you can see where I am going with this line of thought:
Mary Gray Murison,(her full name),gave birth to an illegitimate baby girl on 17.03.1919 in Glasgow. She named the wee
girl Sarah Connelly-Iveson Murison. She registered the birth in Glasgow and then again in Saltcoats the very next day. Then she put Sarah out to adoption to a catholic family named Connelly. They raised Sarah as one of their own and Sarah went on to marry & raise a large family of her own. Sarah was my maternal grandmother.
Four years & four days prior to Sarah' birth Mary did almost THE EXACT same with a baby boy but with a "twist".
Jack Murison was born, illegitimate, to Mary Gray Murison on 13.03.1915 in Glasgow. She registered his birth in
Glasgow and then again in Saltcoats the very next day. TWENTY ONE MONTHS later, in December 1916, an entry
appears in the Register of Corrected Entries for Births AND someone has changed baby Jacks name to "Martin Larsson Murison. Baby Jack now disappears from the radar. NOTE how his surname was not changed.
It is my belief that Mary left those Scandinavian names as clues to the biological fathers of Sarah & Jack but unless I
had DNA, I will never be able to prove anything. My best hope is to come across people with these names, who would
have seen Mary on a daily basis etc etc etc and the rest can only be left to the imagination & curiosity?
Sorry I can't be more specific & give you ages etc but if it helps,(as a rough guide), Mary would have been 26 yrs old
in 1915 & 30 yrs old in 1919. But bare in mind, women tended to go with men a lot older than themselves back then,
especially if they had marriage & security in mind AND if the man was 'financially secure'. It could also be a case of an affair with a married man. I have to keep my mind open to EVERY possibility. Sorry I can't be more helpful and thanks for your interest and help so far. Please let me know if you manage to rake-up anything.
Mary died in 1922 aged just 32.
Richard.
Richard

Post by Richard »

QUICK CORRECTION TO ABOVE INFO ON MURISONS:
Jessies part of the family which came from Denny were the Couslands (and not Bairds).
Sorry for any confusion. :oops:
Richard.
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

Mary and her man could have been living as Common Law man and wife at the time.

sweet caroline
“He that has no fools, knaves, nor beggars in his family, was begot by a flash of lightning.” Thomas Fuller
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

Re-registration of Birth or Still-birth
What is re-registration?
Re-registration is the creation of a new birth entry to add the natural father’s/parent's details, alter parentage details or add the parents’ marriage or civil partnership details if that marriage or civil partnership took place after the birth was originally registered.

Applications for re-registration should be made on form RR1 and be accompanied by the relevant declaration form(s).

Links to the forms are here:

• Form RR1 (44Kb pdf file) - Application for re-registration of a birth or still-birth

• Form 26 (18Kb pdf file) - Declaration as to parentage by the mother of a child

• Form DPF (25Kb pdf file) - Declaration as to parentage by father/parent

• Form 27 (18Kb pdf file) - Declaration by father/parent of a child

• Form DPM (25Kb pdf file) - Declaration as to parentage by mother

Pdf files require Adobe Acrobat Reader. Download it free .

When can re-registration be applied for?
A person’s birth or still-birth registered in Scotland can be re-registered, if:-

(a) the entry in the register of births is affected by any matter concerning their parentage e.g. the entry does not contain their father’s details,

(b) the entry in the register of births shows or implies that they were found exposed (abandoned), or

(c) the entry in the register of births shows or implies that their parents were not married to each other or parties to a civil partnership at the time of their birth but their parents have subsequently married or registered their civil partnership.

Who can apply for re-registration?
(a) If the person whose birth is to be re-registered is under 16 years of age, anyone who has parental responsibilities in relation to that person, even if they are also under 16 years of age (e.g. the mother) can apply

(b) If the person whose birth is to be re-registered is 16 years of age or over they must apply on their own behalf

(c) If the person whose birth is to be re-registered has died, or was a still-born child, application may be made:-

(i) by the person’s mother or, if the person’s mother is married, by her husband if he is the natural father:

(ii) if the mother is dead, by a person who has been registered as the father/parent of the child in the birth entry concerned,

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

• How much does re-registration cost?
There is no fee for re-registration. However, if parents wish to purchase an extract of the new birth entry the usual extract fees apply.

• Who can I ask to witness my declaration forms?
It is very important that the forms are signed by applicants and witnesses on the same date and they can be witnessed as follows:-

Form 26 - A registrar in any registration office in Scotland

Form DPF - A Justice of the Peace, Notary Public or other person authorised by law to administer oaths.

Forms DPM - A Justice of the Peace, Notary Public or other person authorised by law to administer oaths.

Form 27 - A registrar in any registration office in Scotland

• Can a Scottish Registrar witness the declaration forms for both the mother and the father?
No - one form must be witnessed by a Scottish Registrar and the other by a Justice of the Peace, Notary Public or other person authorised by law to administer oaths.

• Can I change my child's name to have the same name as his/her father?
Yes, this can be achieved through the re-registration process. However, no changes of forename can be permitted at this stage unless the child had the mother’s surname and you now wish to include the mother’s surname as a forename. If changes of forename are required this can be done through the change of name procedure. Please see Recording Changes of Forename(s) and Surname(s) in Scotland for further information.

• Where does the re-registration take place?
Re-registration can take place in any Scottish registration office and does not need to be carried out at the office where the original birth was registered.

• Can a father who is not married to the mother apply to re-register a birth?
A father can apply to re-register a birth if he has parental responsibilities for the child.

• Where can I get more information about the re-registration procedures?
More advice is available from :-

General Registration Unit
National Records of Scotland
Room 39
New Register House
3 West Register Street
Edinburgh
EH1 3YT

or by telephoning 0131 314 4452

sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

Name: Martha McLelland
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1866
Relationship: Servant
Where born: Ireland
Registration number: 485A
Registration district: Larbert
Civil parish: Larbert
County: Stirlingshire
Address: Hamilton Farm House
ED: 10
Household schedule number: 7
Line: 6
Roll: CSSCT1901_161
Household Members: Name Age
David Murison 49 -c1852Alyth, Perthshire-Hamilton Farm House-Bank Teller
Jessie C Murison 40 -c1861Denny, stirlingshire
David Murison 13 -c1888Glasgow, Lanarkshire
Mary Murison 11 =c1890Glasgow, Lanarkshire
Charles Murison 9 =c1892Glasgow, Lanarkshire
Martha McLelland 35
Richard

Post by Richard »

SWEET CAROLINE:
I have considered co-habiting but ALL evidence, so far, shows that to be a very big NO NO but I am not shutting my mind off to the possibility. I have not been doing this research very long but I learned VERY quickly NEVER to discount
anything until you have proof to the contrary.
Does all that info on "re-registration" apply to the time period of 1915-1916 or is that more recent guidelines due to new law changes?
I already have that info from the 1901 Census, somewhere in my mountain of paperwork, but I like the way that you have set it out with the focus on Martha' details before the Murison' because she is one of my 'dark horse suspects' in
my hunt for baby Jack.
The other brother,Thomas, is missing because he, for some reason, was living with his maternal grandfather, Thomas Baird, in the Gorbals on the night of the 1901 census & the other domestic; Margaret Mclelland. Thomas Baird was a
master butcher & ran his own butchers/meat business in the Gorbals area of Glasgow. He died in 1907.
Would it be possible for you to do the same with Margaret, as you did with Martha, on the 1901 census?
Thank you so much for all your efforts & all that info. Im off to try & print off that census info on Martha.
Thank you once again.
RICHARD.
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

Name: Margaret Mclelland
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1858
Relationship: Servant
Where born: Ireland
Registration number: 644/12
Registration district: Gorbals
Civil parish: Glasgow Govan
County: Lanarkshire
Address: 138 South Portland Street
ED: 7
Household schedule number: 16
Line: 25
Roll: CSSCT1901_313
Household Members: Name Age
Thomas Baird 68 -c1833Barnton, stirlingshire-138 South Portland Street-Butcher
Thomas Baird Murison 12 -c1889Glasgow, Lanarkshire-Grand Son
Margaret Mclelland 43

Edit- HAve you tried for a poor relief record at the Mitchell Library ,Glasgow.
Last edited by sweet caroline on Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.