War War I casualties

For those researching family in the three towns area.
imajrk
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: War War I casualties

Post by imajrk »

I am going to look into the Territorials, but would they have given them the full uniform? I wonder where I could look for that information? Here we go again.
Richard

Post by Richard »

The Ayrshire Yeomanry is another good possibility.
They were a Territorial unit at one stage and this link will help get you started with a lot of good information:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ayrshire-yeomanry

There is a good possibility that your relative served both in the Anglo-Boer war and WW1.
I have done several searches, without success so far, for WW1 records.
The main reason seems to be because all UK WW1 Army Records were sent/taken to London for "safe keeping".
Most of these records were destroyed during heavy German bombing raids in WW2.
What remains of that collection is now known as the "Burnt Collection" because they have been badly damaged
by fire & water.

Hope this helps.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Geo,
I came across these 2 lists of military details whilst browsing and immediately thought of you and your
on-going efforts.
Don't know if they will be of much use to you but the first link is all Ayrshire men and I noticed one or
two Ayrshire men in the 2nd link, from Kilmarnock, Kilwinning and Stevenstone. There may be more
because I searched the list at speed and I was looking for something else, at the time, so I was not
focused on looking for Ayrshire soldiers.
Hope they may be of some use to you but if not, no harm done.
They may also be of use or interesting to others researching the military side of their families.

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~sctay ... alpha.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.scotsatwar.org.uk/rohprints/m.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
geomacintyre
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by geomacintyre »

Thanks Richard, I have added both links to my favourites and will go through them, updating my lists where necesary.

George
What we do for ourselves alone dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. - Albert Pine
borlanddj
New Poster
New Poster

Post by borlanddj »

George

I have sent you a private email, looking for some details

regards

Duncan
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

“He that has no fools, knaves, nor beggars in his family, was begot by a flash of lightning.” Thomas Fuller
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

I came across this man ,and wondered whether he is on Ayr's War Memorial.I can't find him on CWGC site .

Name: Stanislaw Alendrovitch
Birth Place: Kovno, Russia
Residence: Ayr
Death Date: 26 Sep 1918
Death Location: France & Flanders
Enlistment Location: Ayr, Ayrshire
Regiment: King's Own Scottish Borderers
Battalion: 1/5th Battalion
Number: 32598
Type of Casualty: Killed in action
Theatre of War: Western European Theatre

SC
Edit -Although not on CWGC ,he is on pay per view site http://www.military-genealogy.com/nameS ... 291650.htm
Edit-http://frontforum.westernfrontassociati ... a&start=15
Edit -http://www.britishwargraves.co.uk/
“He that has no fools, knaves, nor beggars in his family, was begot by a flash of lightning.” Thomas Fuller
Katie

Post by Katie »

WOndering if you have my great uncle James Muir L/Cpl 1/6th Bat HLI died of wounds 26/8/1918 and is buried at Wancourt British Cemetary, he was an Accountant with the Clydesdale Bank at Irvine, and 1 of the youngest of 19, lived at Greenfoot Kilwinning
geomacintyre
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by geomacintyre »

Thanks Katie. Sorry for the delay, just home from Oslo for a few days before heading back off. Also have a bit of a problem typing as I slipped and broke my left elbow in two places.

I have the following details: hope they are correct:

Name: MUIR, JAMES
Initials: J
Nationality: United Kingdom
Regiment/Service: Highland Light Infantry
Unit Text: 1st/6th Bn.
Date of Death: 24/08/1918
Service No: 241747
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: VII. F. 22.
Cemetery: WANCOURT BRITISH CEMETERY
What we do for ourselves alone dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. - Albert Pine
rhowie
New Poster
New Poster

Post by rhowie »

Hi, I have a William Howie born 1894 in Gateside, W.Kilbride who died 15th April 1918 in France. As far as I know he was in the HLI as a private & is mentioned on a monument in Belgium & in Ardrossan
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

Name: William Howie
Birth Place: West Kilbride, Ayrshire
Residence: Saltcoats, Ayrshire
Death Date: 13 Apr 1918
Death Location: France & Flanders
Enlistment Location: Glasgow
Regiment: Highland Light Infantry
Battalion: 9th (Glasgow Highland) Battalion (Territorial)
Number: 331611
Type of Casualty: Killed in action
Theatre of War: Western European Theatre

SC
geomacintyre
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by geomacintyre »

Thanks to everyone who has sent me additions and corrections to my original list of soldiers with links to the ThreeTowns who died in World War 1. I have spent the last month or so putting the names in alphabetical and chronological order using the details provided by Soldiers Who Died in the Great War 1914-1919, the Commonwealth War Graves Commission and the A&S Herald intimations that were available before AyrshireRoots closed down for overhaul.

The dateline, inspired, I must admit, by the On This Day topic, I think, gives a better overal picture of the battles in which men with links to the ThreeTowns were involved.

To date I have found that there are 224 memorials and cemeteries where these men are commenorated or buried.

The list is still a work in progress but if anyone would like a copy, please PM me an email address and I will send it as an attachment. And, please, let me know if there are any more mistakes that need corrected or additions that need to be made.

George