McBlain/McBlane Family

For those researching family in the three towns area.
sebrofa
New Poster
New Poster

McBlain/McBlane Family

Post by sebrofa »

:hi: All
I am researching my McBlains. In particular any called John, Stewart and Quentin. I am not fussed about the spellings just tring to tie 10 trees together. All the trees I have are mixed between Northern Ireland especially Newtownards, Bangor and Belfast and Scotland. Shoe makers, farmers, builders and architects. I would be very happy for any info relating to my trees.
Thank you very much :)

Anne Forbes nee McBlain from little Scotland :good:
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: McBlain/McBlane Family

Post by Penny Tray »

Sebrofa,

You haven't said whether or not you believe there are certain Ardrossan/Saltcoats/Stevenston links but you may wish to join the following site (free) which lists many birth/death/marriage intimations of both McBlains and McBlanes since the 1850s. If your family originated in Northern Ireland and came to settle in Scotland there is more than a fair chance they would land at Ardrossan and pass through the Threetowns.

http://www.ayrshire-roots.co.uk/ash.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
calleytwo
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by calleytwo »

Try Irvine. My aunt Margaret married a George McBain and lived in Irvine all her life, as did George. Alistair
sebrofa
New Poster
New Poster

Post by sebrofa »

thank you. there are some from Irvine. I would like to trace them backwards
Anne
sebrofa
New Poster
New Poster

Post by sebrofa »

where exactly in Scotland is Irvine - is it on this website?
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

Hi Anne, Irvine is nearby the 3Towns and there are no doubt references to it onsite.
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

Hi Anne,

There were McBlains in Stevenston. There was a squad of them at school with me in the 50's.

JD.
Del 80
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Del 80 »

Hello Anne, I have the name McBlain in a family that I am researching, John Clark McBlain married Sarah Donaldson Foster McDowell, at Kilmarnock in 1930, his father is given as David McBlain, and his mother as Hannah, m.s McBullock. Sarah was the daughter of Susannah Clarke, m.s McDowell, from Co. Down and they lived at Ardrossan, Susannah was married at one time to Samuel Clarke, a long standing brickwall of mine.Regards Del.
sebrofa
New Poster
New Poster

Post by sebrofa »

thanks to everyone for the very kind replies. My problem is that I have several hundred people in 10 trees and I am trying to connect them. They start with James , a stonemason who went to Northern Ireland in the 1600's. He died in 1692 and is buried in Londonderry. I am a bit confused with the lineup. Also they all have the same first names but spell McBlain in lots of different ways because of illiteracy. The fact that they travelled back and forth to Scotland makes it all the more confusing - no passenger lists between the two countries. Oh, and the Welsh are in there now too :( hopeless!
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

1901 Census on Ancestry has only 1 McBlain family born Ireland ,and is living in Auchinleck.2 familes from Stevenston,0 Ardrossan.All others are from different areas in Ayrshire.
My niece is married to a McBlain from Saltcoats.

Sweet Caroline

Edit- McBLAIN . . whatever the spelling, Queen's University says that all McBlains in Northern Ireland are related to each other; it derives from MacGilleBlaan (son of a servant of St. Blane)
Edit- kin
Stewart McBLAIN . Newtownards b.c. 1840/1848, son of John McBlain; married Mary Dowling 30 Jun 1866 at St. Mark's Church of Ireland; father of John, Margaret, William, Mary b. 4 Jul 1869 , Agnes b. 1871 & Stewart b. 31 May 1872 (in Mossend, Scotland) , David b. 1873 , James b. 30 Jan 1876 , Eliza b. 7 Nov 1878 & bpt. 2 Feb 1879 & twins Margaret & Jane bpt. 4 May 1881 at Greenwell Street Presbyterian Church ; died 1 Jan 1906 from chronic bronchitis aged 58 at Movilla St, Newtownards CR; PR; Anne Forbes
. Stewart McBLAIN . Newtownards b. 31 May 1872, son of Stewart McBlain & Mary Dowling ; married Maggie Shields 9 Sep 1898 at Greenwell Street Presbyterian; father of James b. 5 Jan & bpt. 29 Mar 1908 at Greenwell Street Presbyterian Church
Robert McBLAIN . Newtownards a clerk of Newtownards ; son of John McBlain (a farmer) ; married Jane Lowry/ Lowery 30 May 1865 at 1st Newtownards Presbyterian Church, witnesses were James Skillin & Ellen McCullough ; father of Thomas John b. 20 Apr & bpt. 29 Jun 1866 & William James b. 9 Jul & bpt. 28 Aug 1867 & Julius McCullough McBlain b. 1 Oct 1868 & bpt. 28 Jul 1869 at 1st Presbyterian
David McBLAIN . Donaghadee & Newtownards a farmer of Killaughey ; son of John McBlain (a farmer ) ; married Sarah McGimpsey 13 Jun 1862 at 1st Newtownards Presbyterian Church , witnesses were William & Prudence McBlain
James McBLAIN . Newtownards b. 30 Jan 1876 in William St, Newtownards, son of Stewart McBlain & Mary Dowling ; married Minnie White 24 Dec 1902 at Greenwell Street Presbyterian Church , witnesses were William Cargo & Jane McBlain; father of James & Stewart b. 5 Jun 1906 (d. 1974); served in the Boer War & in 1st World War (Private 3/6756 1st Battalion Gordon Highlanders); killed in Flanders 15 Nov 1914

James McBLAIN . Newtownards & Hillsborough & Blaris a builder and architect who worked for the Marquis of Downshire, then Lord Hillsborough, at Hillsborough in County Down in the 1760's and early 1770's; there is a obelisk beside Dunboe Church at Downhill to David McBlain, son of James, who was also a builder; father and son hand cut the stone and built the original spire of St Malachy's church in Hillsborough; James also worked at Lisburn on the Clocktower and cupola of Lisburn College
“He that has no fools, knaves, nor beggars in his family, was begot by a flash of lightning.” Thomas Fuller
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Sweet Caroline,

Re your reference to Auchinleck, the Scottish Mining Website has a William McBlain, aged 52, succumbing on 3 December 1883 to injuries sustained earlier in a fire damp accident in Ballochmyle Colliery, Auchinleck.

http://www.scottishmining.co.uk/Indexes/1883deaths.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

P T ,can only see this one in the 1881 census ,but age in 1883 would have been 33
WILLIAM MCBLAIN Family c 1851 Ireland
Mother: MARGARET CUMMINGS c 1852 Dalry.

Name: William McBlain
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1851
Relationship: Head
Spouse's name : Margaret McBlain
Where born: Ireland
Registration Number: 577
Registration district: Auchinleck
Civil parish: Auchinleck
County: Ayrshire
Address: Ballochmyle Row
ED: 5
Household schedule number: 117
Line: 2
Roll: cssct1881_178
Household Members: Name Age
William McBlain 30
Margaret McBlain 29
Agnes McBlain 9
Margaret McBlain 7
Annie McBlain 3
Mary McBlain 1

Sweet Caroline
“He that has no fools, knaves, nor beggars in his family, was begot by a flash of lightning.” Thomas Fuller