The ... What are you doing or thinking right now - Topic

Our "Off Topic" forum - have a wee blether here.
Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with our Board Rules and Guidelines
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: The ... What are you doing or thinking right now - Topic

Post by 5siamese7 »

Morag, I remember a winter when we would say its going to be a peezer to-night. Absolutely terrible the hot water bottles when they lost their heat made it worse. Ice in the inside of the windows a wee coal fire that did little for us. Burst pipes everywhere, schools closed. Still we survived with big pullovers and long johns in bed. Our parents who worked in the I.C.I. and many worked shifts had central heating. Miles of pipes from the power station to most buildings giving a warm environment. What a contrast when they came home.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

As young yins it was no big deal, never had long johns but plenty blankets. Worst was probably getting snow melt down yer wellies and sloshing on too school. Then take your wellies, soaked socks off and put them by / on the radiator that was outside the classroom. I remember some of the poorer kids being embarrassed by their holey socks. :( my wee, young heart broke for them.
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Are you watching the game Hughie - Good luck .
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

Thinking about those days when our houses were cold I remember laughing at my grandfather in his nightcap and he wasn't best pleased saying ,"its alright for you have plenty of hair." Morag it was really cold in our houses in those days. Nowadays with central heating its a doddle.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

I remember just after the war there were army coats over our beds on top of a few blankets. And, the bedroom fires getting a start with red hot coal from the living room fire - often toasted bread there on the end of a fork for supper. :)

Not cold here today - to be 26 degrees in Melbourne - love the Spring time. Blackbirds singing in the morning then seen later with beaks full of worms from our garden for their young, and again singing in the evening. :)
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

I don't know if I'm imagining this but I seem to remember ICI blankets being thrown on oor beds in the winter.
Those wimin were in the nip.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

No central heat, just coal fires. I remember the set up, crumpled newspaper, a few sticks on top and when it caught, the coals went on, had to make sure the draught up the lum was open! Also, sitting practically in the fireplace one side got hot then you'd turn to the other side. My mum always had to have a window open, even on freezing days!
C.S.Lewis
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

morag wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:59 pm No central heat, just coal fires. I remember the set up, crumpled newspaper, a few sticks on top and when it caught, the coals went on, had to make sure the draught up the lum was open! Also, sitting practically in the fireplace one side got hot then you'd turn to the other side. My mum always had to have a window open, even on freezing days!
Yes Morag and we were cold with that wee coal fire where you put the damper in for hot water and it took all day to get enough hot water for a bath. Regarding opening windows that when I was young was how people lived. To-day you would probably have your house burgled.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

Chatted up twice to-day. Hope the cold weather comes soon to calm things down.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

5siamese7 wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:47 pm
morag wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:59 pm No central heat, just coal fires. I remember the set up, crumpled newspaper, a few sticks on top and when it caught, the coals went on, had to make sure the draught up the lum was open! Also, sitting practically in the fireplace one side got hot then you'd turn to the other side. My mum always had to have a window open, even on freezing days!
Yes Morag and we were cold with that wee coal fire where you put the damper in for hot water and it took all day to get enough hot water for a bath. Regarding opening windows that when I was young was how people lived. To-day you would probably have your house burgled.
It was just the wee topwindows she opened, bliddy near froze us! Yes, I remember stoking the fire all day then big sis coming in and hopping into a..MY..nice hot bath before I could :evil: :lol: Remember too holding newspaper over the fireplace to get the fire started. We had a coal bunker, good sized, brick built, my dad used it as a tool shed and built a wee wooden sturdy bunker for coal. Sent out to get a bucket, lifted the heavy wooden lid, wind blew it down on my wee bent forward heid..literally saw stars! Might explain a lot :wink:
C.S.Lewis
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

Just checking my email etc., checked the date time ..11/11 so had a wee head down thank you prayer.
C.S.Lewis
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

5siamese7 wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:47 pm
Apologies you pulled the damper out for hot water. This allowed the flames to go under the tank and heat the water.