The ... What are you doing or thinking right now - Topic

Our "Off Topic" forum - have a wee blether here.
Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with our Board Rules and Guidelines
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: The ... What are you doing or thinking right now - Topic

Post by Penny Tray »

I suspect you might be speaking to a limited audience here Hughie :lol: .

I don't imagine there would be any difference but I'm wondering just how many of us will remember whether we were an 'X' or an 'H'. My family home was an 'X'.

It's daft sometimes the things that never leave your mind!
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

We had an H Ariel and I do remember plugging in a portable radio to that and getting a fantastic reception on Radio Carolyn - not the local one, but the one in the English Chanel. This would be prior to 1964 as that was when we migrated to Oz - I'm thinking it was nearer to 1960.
Retsum
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Retsum »

Hughie the shape of ariels is related to a property of electromagnetc waves called polarisation. These waves (radio, TV, light etc) have an electric and magnetic component. In radio and TV we are only interested in the electric component. It is 'plane polarized' if the electric field oscillates in a single plane - in the case of the vertical 'H', in the vertical plane and that would have been BBC. The BBC radio waves were 'horizontally' plane polarized and a horizontal 'H' was required. The cross was probably ITV and the signal would have been 'circularly' polarized: that is the wave advanced like a corkscrew.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

Think we had a vertical H...mind you we didn't have a t.v. 'til about '62. :roll:
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

Retsum wrote:Hughie the shape of ariels is related to a property of electromagnetc waves called polarisation. These waves (radio, TV, light etc) have an electric and magnetic component. In radio and TV we are only interested in the electric component. It is 'plane polarized' if the electric field oscillates in a single plane - in the case of the vertical 'H', in the vertical plane and that would have been BBC. The BBC radio waves were 'horizontally' plane polarized and a horizontal 'H' was required. The cross was probably ITV and the signal would have been 'circularly' polarized: that is the wave advanced like a corkscrew.
About fifteen years ago I stayed in Glenelg and I told my hosts that I was looking forward to watching NYPD BLUE and they said we don't get a signal because of the wave action in the bay. I wonder if they get a picture to-day.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

I should have known that, Retsum. :roll: :lol: Before the internet I was a shortwave listener and remember putting a long lead ariel in the roof to listen to the World Service of the BBC and VOA etc...
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

Wee escape to nature for me today. Woo hoo.
"Words are very.... unnecessary... they can only do harm".
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

The heat must be going for my brain. Yesterday I purchased 6 medium size Ayrshire tatties for £2.80. I suspected they would be tasteless and this proved the case. Normally new Ayrshire tatties cook quickly and are soft. These took ages to cook and were kind of hard. New tatties in May, forced under polythene and such a disappointment.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Does anybody know if the Celtic v Aberdeen cup final is live on bbc Scotand tomorrow ?
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

5siamese7 wrote:The heat must be going for my brain. Yesterday I purchased 6 medium size Ayrshire tatties for £2.80. I suspected they would be tasteless and this proved the case. Normally new Ayrshire tatties cook quickly and are soft. These took ages to cook and were kind of hard. New tatties in May, forced under polythene and such a disappointment.
My mum was a big fan of new tatties, I just remember the skin so thin.
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

brian f wrote:Does anybody know if the Celtic v Aberdeen cup final is live on bbc Scotand tomorrow ?
Yes it is brian, the programme starts at 1.15 pm. - with the match kicking-off at 3 pm.
Last edited by michaelm on Sat May 27, 2017 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

brian f wrote:Does anybody know if the Celtic v Aberdeen cup final is live on bbc Scotand tomorrow ?
Yes Brian 3 o'clock kick aff :good:
Those wimin were in the nip.