Worlds Most Livable City

Our "Off Topic" forum - have a wee blether here.
Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with our Board Rules and Guidelines
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Worlds Most Livable City

Post by Hughie »

Just heard on the news that Vancouver has been awarded the most livable city again. And again it's followed by Melbourne which I can see across the bay. I can't see how Vancouver can beat Melbourne - I mean we don't have to put up with all that cauld white stuff in Melbourne :roll:

The story from the BBC : http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/2299119.stm
Bob Bryden
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Bob Bryden »

Vancouver is a great city. Back in 1974 I spent several days in Vancouver at the start of my Canadian holiday prior to taking the C.P.R. train through the Rockies & across the country to Toronto. That part of Canada evidently has the mildest climate in Canada. My two favourite parts of Vancouver were walking around & through Stanley Park plus going up Grouse Mountain in the cable car - that was about mid-May & unfortunately that "white stuff" was still in abundance at the top of the cable car ride. Also in Vancouver I went into a Chinese restaurant & got a huge plate of chicken chow mein for less than $3 :D - most unusual for me I couldn't finish it :cry:

Bob Bryden
billymac
Settling In
Settling In

Post by billymac »

I have been to every Euopean city and I have been to Melbourne. My children have been to Vancover and they don'nt rate it highly. There is only on city that has a heart and beauty....... Edinburgh. The walk down Princes street CANNOT be matched anywhere in the world. IT IS BREATHTAKINLY JUST WONDERFULL. The castle in the mist.... the laddie playing the pipes..... MAGIC. Billymac
bobnetau
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bobnetau »

I agree with you Billy, if I had to come back to Scotland I would love to live in Edinburgh. We always went there for our Summer holidays when I was little and even then I just loved the blend of the old castle, the gardens and the shops. I don't find anything wrong with Melbourne but it just doesn't have the same atmosphere.
Netta
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Hi Billy,

I too love Edinburgh but I don't know about it falling into the category of 'Most Livable' We took our three children to Edinburgh when the eldest was twelve and they loved it - was even in Princes Street when the 1 o'clock gun went off. We also spent our honeymoon there in the Rothesay Hotel, well I remember going out to get change for gas meter so we could have the gas fire on - it was a cold March. :roll:

Noo I'm not claiming any royal connections (though I am related to an Elizabeth :-) ) but on my grandmother's Cornelius side there was a birth in Edinburgh Castle in the 1850s. The compiler of that part of the family who lives in Beaudesert here in Australia tells me the father was a sergeant major in the rifle brigade stationed in the castle. At that time our Cornelius side was living in Green Street Saltcoats.
ellenyoung31
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

subject

Post by ellenyoung31 »

Hello Group.
Just to say that Edinburgh Princes Street. is not the same
the Castle and gardens are but the street is not , the cars
are not allowed the councel want them out of Edinburgh,
sent this so you can read it. I hate to see it happening. :(
best wishes Ellen. :oops:

http://news.scotsman.com/topics.cfm?tid ... 2018652005
calleytwo
leading Poster
leading Poster

Re: Worlds Most Livable City

Post by calleytwo »

hewmac wrote:Just heard on the news that Vancouver has been awarded the most livable city again. And again it's followed by Melbourne which I can see across the bay. I can't see how Vancouver can beat Melbourne - I mean we don't have to put up with all that cauld white stuff in Melbourne :roll:

The story from the BBC : http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/2299119.stm
C'mon Hughie -it disnae snaw often in Melbourne but whit aboot the rain and drizzle? And how could Melbourne rate at aw wi' that disgustin water? Every time any ov us comes frae Adelaide tae there and drinks the water we go hame wi' Melbourne's ane brand o' Delhi Belly! Still its probably unusual fur anybody frae the Three Toons tae drink water onyway! There! Ahm back! Wee Ali :D :roll:
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

calleytwo wrote: C'mon Hughie -it disnae snaw often in Melbourne but whit aboot the rain and drizzle? And how could Melbourne rate at aw wi' that disgustin water? Every time any ov us comes frae Adelaide tae there and drinks the water we go hame wi' Melbourne's ane brand o' Delhi Belly! Still its probably unusual fur anybody frae the Three Toons tae drink water onyway! There! Ahm back! Wee Ali :D :roll:
Hi Wee Ali,
We've been away a few days at my daughter's at Bacchus Marsh on the Melbourne Adelaide Highway and the traffic wis all heading for Melbourne - then it always is :roll: Noo you canny fool us locals, we know what the Adelaide water is like. Nice to see you posting again.
calleytwo
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by calleytwo »

Ah must admit Hughie when we came tae Australia Isobel Pettigrew's dad, who wis a Stewart on the Cunard line, telt us that Adelaide and Port Said were the twa places that liners wouldnae pick up water, it was that bad. Wee Ali
billymac
Settling In
Settling In

Post by billymac »

The Water in Edinburgh is fantastic...... pure drinking water to go with a fine dram :twisted: The soul of a place... the earth, the smell, the size, the vibrations you get from place .... is magic..... you FEEL the place. Edinburgh touces the SOUL. Tell me about the feel you get in the new cities... that are so big and impersonal . Tell me about Melborne/ Vancover'z soul. On the 12th of November. Maggie and I are oft for a week in a cottage next to Glenlivet distillary. For More Magic :)
You can look up the cottage on http://www.self-catering-scotland.co.uk "I think"
luv u all Billymac
billymac
Settling In
Settling In

Post by billymac »

oppps Guys Got the web ardress wrong ...it should be http://www.selfcatering-scotland.net :roll: :roll: :roll: billymac
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Melbourne held onto its title of world’s most livable city in this year’s Economist Intelligence Unit survey, beating runners-up Vienna and Vancouver, as well as fellow Australian cities Sydney, Adelaide and Perth.

Wall Street Journal report