Kilwinning

Our "Off Topic" forum - have a wee blether here.
Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with our Board Rules and Guidelines
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

Mary,
if all else fails you might try the Herald. The diary is still run but not with Tom Shields.
Here is a link: (tempted to draw a sausage!)
http:www.theherald.co.uk/contactus/
Morag
marydobson
Settling In
Settling In

Morag - Tom Shields' Diary

Post by marydobson »

Hi Morag
Thank you so much for your reply . When Billymac said that he had picked up the book in a secondhand book shop I wrongly assumed it had been published a long time ago and certainly not as recently as 1991.
I will enjoy browsing local Irvine / Kilwinning bookshops tomorrow.Thanks again Morag.
Regards Mary
patm
New Poster
New Poster

Post by patm »

Hi there,
This book is the first of a series which is now up to number 6.
The stories, photo's etc they contain are from all around the world, as well as from home, and are hilarious.
I have been lucky to have been given these as christmas presents, and they really catch the flavour of a Scottish view on life !
The only one I have been missed out on was the first one and, as I did not know the name of the book I was struggling to know what to look for, so I am grateful for this iinfo and can now get cracking to locate it and complete the set.

A coule of examples
A Burns Supper that was held in Egypt was described as the Feast of Ramadram !!

Or a typical ayrshire one told by a teacher when she asked the class

Whats inetia ? - The answer was Troon & Prestwick !!

All well worth a read.

Regads Pat
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

I've had two of his books for some years now, they are: "Not the worst of Tom Shields" and "Tom Shields Free at Last". I enjoyed them though can't fathom out what he had against Kilwinning. Does anyone know?
billymac
Settling In
Settling In

Killwinning

Post by billymac »

Hi ALL
I'm grateful for your information on Tom Shields.

Another from his book, I include it, as it offers an insight and a valuable documentation of the life and times of “threetowners” and my adolescence. " A Killwinning lad announced his intention to marry a local girl known to be free with here favours."You 're no mairryin' that yin?" one of his pals said. Hauf the men in Stevenston huv been wi' her". After a moments thought, the bridegroom, obviously something of a philosopher, replied " och ,its no' a big place, Stevenston.

awthebest to u all
Billymac
patm
New Poster
New Poster

Post by patm »

Not sure if he has anything against Kilwinning as such but a clue might be that he had a diary column in the Herald ( formerly the Glasgow Herald ) which comprised - and still does, in the main of contributions from readers and there was a period when he had a rich source of material from Kilwinning readers, other readers commenting about Kilwinning and its inhabitants.
I reckon its was just a phase when he wrote those books becasuse I have just had a look at his book Tom Shields takes the Fifth and I can't find a reference in to Kilwinning at all.

Regards Pat
billymac
Settling In
Settling In

Kilwinning

Post by billymac »

Was surfing the net and decided to look at Kilwinning. I recomend the following web-site. http://www.kilwinning.org where I extracted the following infomation
Kilwinning town, which lies on the River Garnock a few miles inland from Ardrossan by way of busy Stevenston, is notable as the home of Freemasonry in Scotland. Mother Lodge Kilwinning (No 0) was founded in 1107, at the same time as the Abbey, of which the few remains have been incorporated into the present Parish Church.
A very historic town

Any comments
Hava great day Billymac
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Kilwinning

Post by Hughie »

A Walk Round Kilwinning
A tour of the main historical sites in Kilwinning, Ayrshire. Written and narrated by Jim Kennedy of Kilwinning Heritage. Photography by John Loney.