My Favourite ( non-Three Towns ) Place

Our "Off Topic" forum - have a wee blether here.
Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with our Board Rules and Guidelines
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

My Favourite ( non-Three Towns ) Place

Post by down south »

Of course the Three Towns has to be one of everyone's favourite places in the world. But disregarding that, and the place you live now which we've had before, what's your favourite place ?

I'll start the ball rolling with mine, which is Bridgnorth in Shropshire; the town where my grandfather lived for fifty years as clerk of works to the Apley Estate just outside town, and where my father grew up ; where he met my mother, and where my sister was born.

It's a historic market town on the River Severn; with the picturesque High Town at the top of cliffs on one side of the river, and the more ordinary Low Town on the other. There's a great view over the river from Castle Walk in High Town ; King Charles I , who spent time there during the English Civil War, described it as ' the finest view in all my kingdom ':

https://www.shropshire-guide.co.uk/wp-c ... tle-04.jpg

But personally I think the view from Low Town of High Town rising above the river is just as special :

https://cdn.britannica.com/55/115855-00 ... nd-Eng.jpg

There was actually a minor battle of the Civil War fought right through the central streets, and later Cromwell's men blew up the Castle, which is right in the centre of town.It was left leaning at a distinctly precarious angle :

https://www.shropshirestar.com/resizer/ ... 5JPN3E.jpg

and believe me, it's extremely disconcerting to walk underneath it, feeling that it's going to topple over on you at any moment. BUT IT'S PERFECTLY SAFE... so they say...

There are plenty of other historic buildings, especially along the broad High Street; like the 17th century Town Hall:

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-high- ... 86971.html

and the medieval Northgate, which houses the town museum, run by volunteers of which my Grandad was once one :

https://live.staticflickr.com/7047/6992 ... 973b_b.jpg

Picturesque too are the many precipitous flights of steps down the cliff to the riverside, with houses perched along some of them. But fortunately you don't have to use these, since there's a cliff railway, the steepest in Britain:

And that's not the only interesting railway in town, since Bridgnorth is the terminus of the preserved steam Severn Valley Railway:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... MMB_09.jpg

All these things attract many visitors, and if there's one thing about Bridgnorth that made me feel right at home the first time I went there it's the crowds of trippers in the streets; almost as packed sometimes as Saltcoats at Glasgow Fair !That, and the feel of history all around you.

We had great plans, my Dad and I, of moving back there after my mother died, but sadly it was never to be ; he overdid things on a house-hunting trip, wrecked his leg for good, and was never fit enough again to make the trip back. So I haven't seen Bridgnorth for some years now. But someday I hope to go there once again; scatter the family ashes in the churchyard where my grandparents lie, wander the streets and lanes, connect with the past once more.

Susan
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: My Favourite ( non-Three Towns ) Place

Post by bonzo »

Toss up for me Hamburg or Prague, love the both of them great places to wander, lots to see and do. I think my familiarity with them helps. I never tire of them.
Those wimin were in the nip.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Englands threetowns.Had a few lovely family holidays before we decided to go abroad. Looking forward to September when i visit again.

Torbay
Torbay is a large bay on Devon's south coast. Overlooking its clear blue waters from their vantage points along the bay are three towns: Paignton, Torquay and Brixham. The bays ancient flood plain ends where it meets the steep hills of the South Hams. These hills act as suntrap, allowing the bay to luxuriate in its own warm microclimate. It is the bays golden sands and rare propensity for fine weather that has led to the bay and its seaside towns being named the English Riviera.

Brixham sweeps down from the rocky cliffs at Torbay's southern reaches. Fishing is still the primary industry of the Town and has been for over 900 years. Crabbers and Beamers cast off from its harbour on a daily basis, and this is the place to be if you are looking to explore an authentic fishing port and find great seafood.

Paighnton adorns the centre of the bay. The beauty of the golden beaches with their safe bathing and the many family based attractions and facilities make this the place to head for those travelling with children.

Torquay is the most northerly of Torbay's towns. It blossomed in the 19th century when it became famous as a health resort. Today its marinas, restaurants, wine bars and shops offer more contemporary attractions to visitors and locals alike.

devonguide.com
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

I think sailing into Brodick Harbour used to be my favourite but these days, I think the Isle of Samos in Greece might just pip it at the post. I love Arran but it has changed so much over the last 10 or so years, it’s not the place I remember. In saying that, we might just have a long weekend there in October when things have quietened down a bit. Still a bit nervous mixing with strangers and probably will be for a while.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Meg wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:47 pm I think sailing into Brodick Harbour used to be my favourite but these days, I think the Isle of Samos in Greece might just pip it at the post. I love Arran but it has changed so much over the last 10 or so years, it’s not the place I remember. In saying that, we might just have a long weekend there in October when things have quietened down a bit. Still a bit nervous mixing with strangers and probably will be for a while.
Meg, if you had been a Johnson you'd have been fine :lol:
Those wimin were in the nip.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

The state of Johnson senior yesterday in the media :shock: - the apple didn’t fall far from the tree did it. We just have to suck it up that they are above the law.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Meg wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:47 pm I think sailing into Brodick Harbour used to be my favourite but these days, I think the Isle of Samos in Greece might just pip it at the post. I love Arran but it has changed so much over the last 10 or so years, it’s not the place I remember. In saying that, we might just have a long weekend there in October when things have quietened down a bit. Still a bit nervous mixing with strangers and probably will be for a while.
What's different about Arran now Meg ? I know you and George had a vacation not that long ago. Would love to visit but would have to make somebody disappear over a cliff edge. Anyway i hope things can improve regarding the pandemic and you both have a lovely weekend in October :)
GordMac
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by GordMac »

I first went to Portpatrick when I was 11 with the Saltcoats scout camp around 59/60,and been going back ever since.When Anna and I were married we spent our honeymoon there,but since moving to Staffordshire we don’t get back as often as we would like.As for anywhere abroad Capri is our favourite place to visit,sitting in the cafe at the top of Annacapri looking over the bay is a sight to behold.P.S. downsouth you forgot to mention The Severn Valley Railway at Bridgnorth which I visit often.
Kittywake
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Kittywake »

The Isle of Arran, as it was my first real venture away from home when working there for around four years in my early 20's. Then later on after becoming a keen amateur golfer I was fortunate enough to play all of it's great golf course's, even winning the odd competition or two. :)
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Having travelled extensively (thankfully at the expense of an employer), but usually staying only 24 or 48 hours at overseas locations, there are many places I would love to return to with more time to spare.

However, like others who have already contributed, the one place I’m constantly drawn back to, maybe because, while no longer living in Ayrshire, it’s still reasonably convenient to travel to, is ARRAN, or more specifically, BRODICK.

In summer months, I’ve occasionally boarded the seven o’clock ferry at Ardrossan; disembarked at Brodick at eight, walked round to the foot of Goatfell, and successfully climbed the mountain – (that was, until last year when I only made it three-quarters of the way up) - ‘old age’ or something caught up with me :lol: .

On other days, when I had absolutely no intention of climbing, I’ve still walked round to the foot of the mountain, enjoyed lunch and a beer at the Wineport Bar & Bistro, strategically positioned for those who decide not to climb or reward those have.

In winter months, in moments of madness, I’ve boarded the 11 o’clock boat at Ardrossan, sailed over, disembarked, turned around immediately, and travelled back on the same boat I’d just left – both coming and going, being sure to have a cup of tea and Empire biscuit in the forward café.

On another occasion, once again during the winter, when price was more reasonable, my wife and I stayed overnight in the Douglas Hotel.

All this apart, my favourite holiday destination is Tenerife, especially in September.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
Kirkhall
Settling In
Settling In

Post by Kirkhall »

I think San Francisco is on my list, employed there for 27years and loved it.
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

For all of you who love Arran. Catriona Tod makes lovely pictures of the whole island, starting with the Cal Mac ferry and "The Isle she loves so well". Worth taking a look.Image 42cmsx30cms