Favourite Hymns

Our "Off Topic" forum - have a wee blether here.
Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with our Board Rules and Guidelines
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Favourite Hymns

Post by brian f »

Mine would be Amazing Grace. I always thought it was written by a Scot probably because so many pipe bands perform it. Found out at the weekend watching a film (well no sport on) it was written by an English Captain by the name of John Newton.
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Favourite Hymns

Post by meekan »

Brian don’t know if you knew that John Newton was a sea captain who was the master of a slave ship. The hymn “Amazing Grace” was probably inspired by the sounds he heard coming from the hold onboard his ship. Interestingly I am informed the tune of this great hymn can be played on just the Black keys on the piano, as can lots of other negro spirituals.
After abandoning his slave ship in disgust he became a slavery abolitionist along with William Wilberforce.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Favourite Hymns

Post by brian f »

Meekan- I knew nothing until i watched a film called "Freedom" on Sunday.Nothing great but enjoyable.

In 1856, a runaway slave (Cuba Gooding Jr.) and his family find help from the underground railroad, while in 1748, the man's grandfather is captive aboard the ship of Capt. John Newton (Bernhard Forcher). IMDb.

You mention Wilberforce it's strange as a postman in Cambridge for many years i never took notice of the Street names. Wilberforce and Thomas Clarkson another English abolitionist both attended St.Johns- Cambridge. I know the history now after just looking up Google.What you learn on the Forum . Thanks Meekan. :)