The BBC

Our "Off Topic" forum - have a wee blether here.
Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with our Board Rules and Guidelines
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

The BBC

Post by brian f »

The BBC Headline news yesterday at 11.00 am was about the tragic death of Kobe Bryant an American professional basketball player and others who perished in a helicopter crash in California.RIP. I had never heard of this retired superstar though it seems to me everybody else has. This story ran for ten minutes followed by the Liberation of Auschwitz, 75 years on news.

Rant over...
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Re: The BBC

Post by Meg »

brian f wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:24 pm The BBC Headline news yesterday at 11.00 am was about the tragic death of Kobe Bryant an American professional basketball player and others who perished in a helicopter crash in California.RIP. I had never heard of this retired superstar though it seems to me everybody else has. This story ran for ten minutes followed by the Liberation of Auschwitz, 75 years on news.

Rant over...
Grooming us ready for the 51st state??????
stivis
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by stivis »

Outgoing BBC Director-General Lord Tony Hall has criticised the corporation for contributing to a toxic discourse with political journalism aimed at trying to “catch out” politicians.
That is within the article below
He refers political journalism except it is not only political but across the board. Standard are in the pan heading for the big bend,I noticed it in the mid 90s, Created celebrities, false outrage anything to cause a reaction out of something bland.
The text is not helped by the lack of proof readers or sub editors and all within the business

I've used the Herald more as an example, BUT given Hall was in charge and aware WHY did he do nothing

Terry Hall and Lenny could have done better

https://archive.is/iOdzD
sheenaj
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by sheenaj »

Be glad you do not have to put up with blow by blow and constant back stories of Bryant in the USA news. I am sorry he and daughter were killed tragically but there were 7 other victims in the crash and their stories are ignored. We have major events and many victims all over the World but yet Bryant's story surpasses them all.
bobnetau
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bobnetau »

sheenaj wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:57 pm Be glad you do not have to put up with blow by blow and constant back stories of Bryant in the USA news. I am sorry he and daughter were killed tragically but there were 7 other victims in the crash and their stories are ignored. We have major events and many victims all over the World but yet Bryant's story surpasses them all.
Sheena was almost the only topic on radio here in Australia. I too was annoyed that the other 7 people who had also died never got a mention. I was so annoyed I even got in touch with radio atation.
sheenaj
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by sheenaj »

:)
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Rumours in the media that the BBC will have to scrap the tv license fee and you will not be banged up for not having one. Some might call it Freedom!
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Aye Brian but they will go pay per view.
Those wimin were in the nip.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Her highness can pay to watch Eastenders. No way i will be paying :
stivis
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by stivis »

The TV licence non payment is only jailable in England and Wales
The penalties for the countries
Summons (Northern Ireland, Isle of Man or Channel Islands)
Single justice procedure notice (England or Wales); or
Citation or conditional offer of a fiscal fine (Scotland).
Nobody has been jailed in Scotland since before 2010( well for a TV license)
From memory the BBC get £380m from Scotland and spend £85m on Scotland...Scotland subsidies England

You don't need a license, Most consumer sites will tell you how (legally), The one I was involved with had the details, unfortunately It was one of the ones I never kept
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Good reply that stivis. If correct unacceptable.