Harry and Meghan

Our "Off Topic" forum - have a wee blether here.
Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with our Board Rules and Guidelines
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Harry and Meghan

Post by brian f »

meekan wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:21 pm I think we have gone overboard on what is offensive, or racist, etc. Not so long ago we had the Scottish Government sending Christmas cards omitting Christmas and replacing it with seasons greetings, in case anyone was offended. Now my Moslem friends were quite happy to sell and send Christmas cards wishing me a Happy Christmas.
Other examples are Robertson having to remove the golliwog from their jam jars, and books( like Uncle Toms Cabin) being removed from school libraries. I'm told I can't have a Chinkie now or shop at the Pakkies. Nigger brown is no longer a colour. what next Scottish people offended about being called Jock or Australians being called Aussies. We had a saying at school "sticks and stanes will break my banes but words will never hurt me"
Real racism is when some one is being denied something because of creed or colour.
So lets get on with it and stop being so darned sensitive.
Meekan- Before i receive a Yellow for going off-topic - Would you accept every Tom, Dick and Harry calling you Jock? Not for me....
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

No problem we are after all all Jock Tamsons bairns
Point I'm making is that we are way too sensitive nowadays
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

I agree with Meekan. we are all far too sensitive these days.
I'm a tich. All my childhood and as a young man, I've been referred to as 'Wee John.'
I hated it as a child, but as an adult, I don't even notice it.
As a matter of interest, here in NL, that sort of remark, like Big Wull or Wee John, never is used.
I swore, as a republican, I wouldn't get involved in this topic, but ...
The price the royals pay for all their priviledges is public attention. So don't complain when the bill is presented.
I can appreciate, Harry and Megan's decision and applaud their walking away from it all.
Oh, and I wish the rest of them would take a leaf out of H and M's book and repay all the tax money that has been spent on their homes.

JD.
creamolafoam
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by creamolafoam »

‘The Republic of Scotland’ , what a disastrous & deeply depressing thought that is. Just let it sink in
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

brian f wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:59 pm
meekan wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:21 pm I think we have gone overboard on what is offensive, or racist, etc. Not so long ago we had the Scottish Government sending Christmas cards omitting Christmas and replacing it with seasons greetings, in case anyone was offended. Now my Moslem friends were quite happy to sell and send Christmas cards wishing me a Happy Christmas.

Now I am really off topic, but as you have mentioned Christmas Cards, I would just mention that I couldn't find a religious Christmas Card to buy anywhere this year in Italy, not even over the border in Switzerland. And I did not receive any either. Just fat Santas, Robins and Snowmen. Such a pity as Christmas is all about the birth of Christ.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

creamolafoam wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:29 pm ‘The Republic of Scotland’ , what a disastrous & deeply depressing thought that is. Just let it sink in
Well, it’s sunk in and I am not depressed - deeply or othwerwise //funny
creamolafoam
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by creamolafoam »

Meg wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:00 pm
creamolafoam wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:29 pm ‘The Republic of Scotland’ , what a disastrous & deeply depressing thought that is. Just let it sink in
A bit like turkeys voting for Xmas
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

creamolafoam wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:25 pm
Meg wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:00 pm
A bit like turkeys voting for Xmas
... in your opinion - and we are all entitled to one of those. :wink:
Alexmac442
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Alexmac442 »

About Harry and Meghan, consider this
This guy is 35 years old!!
Served 10 years in the army
Fought in Afghanistan
Killed Taliban
Started the Invictus games for wounded soldiers
Walked across the South Pole
Raised hundreds of millions for charities
Helped raise over £1 billion for 9/11
Can fly apache helicopters
Is a patron and supporter of over 24 charities
His mum was killed in the worlds biggest cover up
If he wants to do his own thing now then let him!!
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

1000s of men and women have done your first 3 points and it had amuch greater effect on their personal life, hence the invictus games.
As far as I can see all your other points would not have happened if he wasn't in such a privileged position.
Those wimin were in the nip.
creamolafoam
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by creamolafoam »

bonzo wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:03 am 1000s of men and women have done your first 3 points and it had amuch greater effect on their personal life, hence the invictus games.
As far as I can see all your other points would not have happened if he wasn't in such a privileged position.
The irony
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

creamolafoam wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:53 am
bonzo wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:03 am 1000s of men and women have done your first 3 points and it had amuch greater effect on their personal life, hence the invictus games.
The irony
:smt102
Those wimin were in the nip.