Do you remember

Our "Off Topic" forum - have a wee blether here.
Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with our Board Rules and Guidelines
Retsum
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Do you remember

Post by Retsum »

Do you remember 'the minute to eight'? Did you use it? Is it still available?
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Do you remember

Post by Meg »

Retsum wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:54 pm Do you remember 'the minute to eight'? Did you use it? Is it still available?
No, I don’t think I’ve ever heard of this Retsum - what is it?
wellparkno9
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by wellparkno9 »

was the minute to eight an express train from South Beach to Glasgow,did not stop at Saltcoats only Kilwining and Paisley Gilmour St?
Retsum
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Retsum »

Initially it was a steam train that arrived at South Beach at one minute to eight precisely. I thought it stopped again at Saltcoats and then on to Gilmour Street and St Enoch where it arrived at 10 to 9. If you were quick and lucky you could then jump on a Tram to Auchinshuggle?, get off at Kelvin Hall and just about get to your 9 o'clock lecture at the University. I always promised myself that I would stay on to see where Auchinshuggle was but I never did.
margb
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by margb »

Retsum wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:54 pm Do you remember 'the minute to eight'? Did you use it?
Yes I used this train every morning for four years before I came to Oz.
Left the house about 7.40 and walked/ran. Most mornings I got there with a couple of mins to spare. There was a group of 4/5 of us that travelled together. Train ended at Central station when i was travelling to work.
wellparkno9
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by wellparkno9 »

Retsum,Auchenshuggle is out past Parkhead
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

I never used that train "the minute to eight" but on a Saturday night we used to get a cheap ticket from Ardrossan to go to the dancing in Glasgow. The train a steam train left around tea time it was called "The Breezer" I think. Last train home, I think it was half past eleven. then a long walk home from South beach station.
BWalsh
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by BWalsh »

Here's a theory.
If Retsun was rushing to catch the tram he would jump on from the back where the destination board would be showing where the tram has come from, not where it was going. I could well be wrong much too young to remember trams (aye, right) but didn't the tram drivers just move their seat from one end to the other when they reached the terminus.
Retsum
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Retsum »

I think your theory is correct. I have just looked at a map and Auchenshuggle is East of St Enoch, whereas the University is West.