Clocks changed today

Our "Off Topic" forum - have a wee blether here.
Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with our Board Rules and Guidelines
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Clocks changed today

Post by Meg »

It’s now 7 o’clock and I know we’ve got at least another hour before darkness falls. I LOVE the lighter nights.

Meg
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Clocks changed today

Post by bonzo »

Would you like BST all year round Meg?
Those wimin were in the nip.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

bonzo wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:19 pm Would you like BST all year round Meg?
No Bonzo - we tried that in the late 1960s and if I remember correctly it resulted in more car accidents - I think I just need to move to somewhere warm in the winter then back here in our summer.

Would you like BST all year round ?

Meg
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

No, but I don't mind the winter either as things are . The thought of it being dark until half 9 or 10 in the morning in December/January puts me right off.
Europe is planning to to scrap daylight saving in 2021 ( if we're still a part of it) but it looks as clear as mud.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/ ... -from-2021
Those wimin were in the nip.
tapnagol
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tapnagol »

None of the comments that I've read so far, have convinced me that we should retain this ritual outdated system . One good thing to come from EU.
margb
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by margb »

Like Meg I remember the 3 year trial of BST. The clocks didnt go back to give more light in winter time. We all walked to school in the dark and came home in the dark too. School didnt finish until ten to four. Accidents were prevalent because you couldnt be seen. Thats when the fluorescent clothing and stickers came on the scene. It was really terrible. Dont believe anyone liked it much.
So I believe for the UK daylight saving is a good thing.

In Australia they have daylight saving in summer time to give an extra hour or so. I live in Queensland where they trialled it a few years ago and a referendum was taken. The vote was No but there are areas on the coast that want it. I could debate it for ever but its not a good thing for Queensland. WA is the same they dont have daylight saving either.