Hourstons in Ayr closing

Our "Off Topic" forum - have a wee blether here.
Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with our Board Rules and Guidelines
creamolafoam
leading Poster
leading Poster

Hourstons in Ayr closing

Post by creamolafoam »

After over a hundred years trading, Hourstons is closing down next month. Think we will have all shopped there in the past. High streets everywhere becoming like ghost towns
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Hourstons in Ayr closing

Post by glenshena »

I believe Hourstons was part of the House of Frasers Group in Buchanan Street which has also been sold. Buchanan Street will never be the same without Frasers. Saying that, in Saltcoats we have Cavanis, The Baby Shop, Baxters The Jewellers shop and Starks all up for sale. However I noticed a new Tartan shop in Hamilton Street just opened. On line shopping is killing them all.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

I was reading a piece the other day saying more and more closed high st shops are being turned into housing. Sign of the times I'm afraid.
Those wimin were in the nip.
stivis
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by stivis »

However I noticed a new Tartan shop in Hamilton Street just opened.
If that is Clyde Kilts, it's been in existence since about 2013/4 or thereabouts, It was at the Ex-Clyde Estuary, then at the old "what ever it was" Next to the ex-TGWU ,Vernon Street
And possibly elsewhere inbetween
stivis
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by stivis »

I meant to say Baxters is Sloanes who have another shop in Irvine , on the main road , and that has a lot more passing (people)traffic, That said the area is a dump as well
Retail Rates cripple the retailer,,together with the heating cost and the electricity rates, the lights and on 7 days a week and at least 9 hours a day

Unfortunately those retailers are at the bottom of the food chain