Greasy pole

Our "Off Topic" forum - have a wee blether here.
Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with our Board Rules and Guidelines
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Greasy pole

Post by Meg »

We were along the North Shore today heading towards Seamill and I noticed the greasy pole was missing. I can’t remember the last time I noticed it there - when was it removed - and does anyone know what it’s original function was (apart from being a meeting point where you joined your pals down the shore)

Meg
George Ardrossan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Greasy pole

Post by George Ardrossan »

Meg

The Greasy Pole was definitely there when this photo was taken on 13 June 2003 shortly after it was installed.

Over the years, the Pole has been replaced several times. From at least the 1950s to the 1970s, the Pole was white. It then 'disappeared'. In the 1960s, the auxiliary coastguard performed mock sea rescue exercises involving a breeches buoy, a tripod and rope secured to the Pole. It's probably around eight years since I remember seeing a pole.

George
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

George Ardrossan wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:37 pm Meg

Over the years, the Pole has been replaced several times. From at least the 1950s to the 1970s, the Pole was white. It then 'disappeared'. In the 1960s, the auxiliary coastguard performed mock sea rescue exercises involving a breeches buoy, a tripod and rope secured to the Pole. It's probably around eight years since I remember seeing a pole.

George
Thanks George - I remember it from the late 50s up til I left Ardrossan in the early 90s. It was a bit of a shock to realise it wasn’t there today. I didn’t know there was more than one!

Meg
hahaya2004
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by hahaya2004 »

The most important hour is always the present, the most significant person is the one opposite you right now, and the most necessary deed is always love. - Meister Eckhart (c.1260 - c.1328)