Phantom Bell Ringer

Our "Off Topic" forum - have a wee blether here.
Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with our Board Rules and Guidelines
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Phantom Bell Ringer

Post by Hughie »

Doorbell rang this morning while I was having breakfast - nobody there, and no surprise visiting grandkids hiding out of sight. Ah well, back to my porridge. An hour later the same thing and no-one there. I remember this happening once before a few years ago.

It's a wireless doorbell so it could be something else on the same frequency nearby, or maybe even an insect in the works - I just renewed the batteries last week. Just thinking this might be one of those stories you might hear at a 'Spookie's' meeting. :shock:
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Phantom Bell Ringer

Post by michaelm »

It happened every single night of the week in oor street Hughie .. they called it "Chap door run away!" :lol:
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Yes, remember it well as a lad. Never can remember it being done in the morning though. BTW it happened a few times today according to my wife. I took the batteries out. Goodnight! I need my beauty sleep. :roll: :lol:
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Used to love a game of chappie.
Those wimin were in the nip.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Hughie,

I had exactly the same problem with a 'wireless' doorbell, and never found out which neighbour was on the same frequency. Eventually it had to go.

With regard to the 'childhood' game, we called it 'thunder and lightning' - thunder presumably representing the noise the door knockers made and 'lightning' the speed at which we made our get-aways.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

Reminds me of a similar kids' activity when remote controls for the TV came in.
Kids would take the remote from home and point it through the neighbours' windows to change the channel they were watching.
Funnily enough, we have had a radio door-bell for years and have never had any bother.

JD.